1999 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Great small Suv
By small3 on 04/22/12 04:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my 1999 Honda Suv for 6 years with no problems! It now has 343000 on the clock but still goes like a dream. The AWD for me is great. I have launched my boat in some really awkward places at Jozini dam but the car never let me down. We had a holiday at Pont D' Outo this year and the car had no problems with the sand we didn't get stuck once!!! And those sand roads are bad.

Great little suv but not a true suv
By lillukas on 12/17/11 10:01 AM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my car 2 years ago with 104k and now have 144k and really havent had any problems with it..just replaced tires and radiator..i needed something bigger for work and this suv was perfect..plenty of room inside..fit 5 ppl often in the car..awd works very well in all conditions, and is quite fun on a little bit of offroading..but you have to be careful with that.. its awd is good but its not 4WD..i didnt have success on the sand but havent tried it often..mpg are about 25mpg combined..my only complain with the car is that the engine is just too weak..yes its why it gets good mpgs but only 146 hp and 133lb ft..its peppy but just needed more power..but honestly its just so practical

Love it- but hate things as well!
By Orangegirl on 07/09/10 19:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Sold our 97' Rav4 for this, comparing both, I'd lean towards the Rav for my personal use. Don't get me wrong the CR-V is a GREAT SUV, but I hate the fact you can't open the back window/door manually, you need the remote or button inside the vehicle. VERY ANNOYING!! The space in the back, though sufficient, is lacking in height, because of a useless " picnic table". My Rav I could fit my bike in it and a dog, plus when yard sailing buy a snow blower or something else higher and fit NO PROBLEM. But all in all this a good car, and I do love Hondas, will only buy Honda or Toyota, however I do miss my Rav.

Convenient Runabout Vehicle
By Jesse S on 01/30/10 09:05 AM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 99 CR-V EX used in 2009 with under 60k on the odo. It was in excellent condition and had been well cared for. After driving it for 6 months I'm extremely pleased with it. Before buying, I read the user reviews on this site, and I'm happy I did. They steered me to a great little vehicle. Maintenance tips: make sure you have the rear differential fluid changed regularly. Have the valves checked for adjustment periodically (I've read many complaints from people whose valves got out of whack and wrecked their engines). Replace the crummy Bridgestone Dueler tires (I got Dunlop SP60s and am happy with them).

First SUV, recommended
By midkid72 on 06/04/08 11:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My husband & I were looking for an SUV that wasn't to expensive because I just paid off my Honda Civic, & needed something bigger. We found this CR-V @ Salsbury Dodge Used Cars, (my husband works for them), & we decided to go look @ it on the lot & feel in love with it, so we traded in the civic & bought the CR-V. I've had a few problems with it -radiator & tires. But where I work, @ a building supply store, there are nails or screws that I get in the tires. I wish I could find some tires that don't go flat - lol!!

LOVE this car!!
By litleladybug28 on 12/14/07 18:16 PM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car in April 2006 and absolutely LOVE my Honda!! I have had to replace my timing belt and water pump at 92,000 for the very first time in my Honda's life but otherwise it's great in winter weather,g reat to transport my dog and me. Great on gas for a 5spd. I'd buy another in a heartbeat! I LOVE my Honda CR-V!

A Must Have
By Cindy on 06/27/07 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have had this SUV for almost 9 years and have had no problems what-so-ever! I highly recommend this vehicle for everyday use. The only minor thing I had to replace, besides the usual tires, oil and filters, was the rear-differential fluid (at 100,000 miles) because it made a grinding noise when maneuvering tight turns. Great gas mileage between 23 and 26 city. It handled snow great! It also has child-safety locks for the back doors and windows. I would purchase another CR-V in a heartbeat, but don't particularly like the exterior of the newer models.

Last Honda??
By John Anonymoose on 01/05/07 15:25 PM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Performance and fuel mileage with the engine/automatic transmission are sub par. At 68,000 miles the cylinder head needs to be replaced, according to the dealer, who will pay for the parts, but refuses to pay for the labor, estimated at over $1200. I have owned Honda's since 1978, but the dealer and American Honda's unwillingness to accept responsibility for this very common problem will terminate this relationship.

Good little Honda
By nonye on 11/24/06 13:49 PM (PST)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love everything about my Honda-CRV with the exception of two minor things. I did not like when my antenna broke off, but it was probably broken off by someone. Not Honda's fault. I also grew less in love with the manual transmission by the day. Seven years later, I'll admit it, I'm lazy and I've shifted enough. No more sticks in my life. Of course, this isn't Honda's problem. This car is a GREAT winter car. Even in 10 inch snowfalls, I couldn't get stuck.

LOVE MY CR-V!
By Katie on 07/13/06 11:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I absolutely love my CR-V. I've had it for 7 years and 140,000 miles with no break-downs... just regular things like new tires, battery, etc. It has been a very convenient car for having two small children. Plus, it's sporty. It's traveled all over the USA with no problems ever. I'm getting ready to trade it in on a new CR-V.