Used 1999 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

What an excellent car
By Tyler Chaffee

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I just rolled over to 180,000 miles and my green cr-v still runs like the day I bought it (now I know why I see so damn many of these around. They last forever!). Though the car is a little on the uncomfortable side, with hard, non-supportive seats and loud road noise, it has a unique charm to it and is fun to drive. Handling is super responsive, giving good road feel and traction is superb due to the awd. It revs up high, and has good power above 4000 rpm XD. Shifts are a little bit rough at lower speeds, and the transmission seems to need fluid changes often. I'd say no more than 30-40k between tranny fluid changes or you'll probably regret it. Braking feel is perfect, and the brakes themselves work extremely well and are quite sharp on response.

Overall this is one of the most talked about and recommended choices for reliable transportation, and for good reason. While I try not to jump on the Honda fanboy bandwagon (all manufacturers have bad years or models), this car makes it especially hard not to, as it has treated me so well. I use it for long distance trips, and as a delivery vehicle, and it has yet to let me down, outside of regular maintenance and small bits here and there. The only things I've needed to replace (besides tires, etc.) are a control arm bushing, a cv joint boot, and an engine mount (all well under 100$). The damn thing still has the original battery. It doesn't get much better than this! What a freaking great car.

crv
By mack

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

It was a great SUV. Enjoying going fishing,hunting,camping, and road trips with it. But any crv from year 1996 to 2000 has recall on ignition/electrical problem. My 99 crv die on me a few times when i was driving, everything shut down, hard to steer the wheel, brake padel was hard to press on. Any automatic AWD transmission has problem . AWD transmission cost from $750 to $1200. FWS transmission is about half the price. Most older model 4WD crv being sold on craigslist had transmission problem.

Love My Honda
By hondalover31

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I purchased my 1999 Honda CRV in Feb. 2008. It had 98,000 miles on it. Other than the timing belt and regular ware and tear it has been an excellent car. I now have 267,000 miles on it!!!! I recommend honda to anyone who asks..both my kids drive a honda and my dad just bought his first honda a year ago!

Excellent Reliability, Great Performance
By kopper65

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Bought this car used two years ago (2012) with about 80k miles on it. It had had the timing belt replaced already, so I felt pretty confident that this car would last a while before any major mechanical failures, and, so far I've been right. Absolutely no problems in the two years I've owned it, just normal maintenance costs, including new tires. I really love how it drives... it's peppy, handles excellently well, and I love driving it in the snow. I sometimes wish it had a bit more power for acceleration, but not often. I typically just drive it at the speed limit and see gas mileage in the low 20s. Overall I've been very happy with the car and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon!

Cargo area, including the folding table in the back. I also love the sun roof. Another thing I love about this car is that the interior is very basic, nothing fancy, and almost utilitarian in nature. I'm not a fan of lots of bells and whistles and gadgets. I only wish I had the manual transmission instead.

Best Car Ever
By dustygirl

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Wish they still made them like this.
I am the original owner of my '99 honda crv and now have 191,000 miles on it.
No major problems...Just put a new radiator on it about two years ago, the old one just had a pin-hole leak.
The original battery lasted 9 years and was still okay, but I decided I'd just be safe rather than sorry and replaced it.
Only issue I ever had with it was a bad clunking/thunking when going over even small uneven spots...it was a $12 fix and just needed a new bushing where the sway bar end link went in.
We change the oil on time, and change the transmission fluid earlier than what it calls for.
I've checked valve clearance and they've always been fine.

Roomy backseat and cargo area. Excellent reliability.

Handles a bit like a cinderblock, but that just keeps me from getting speeding tickets.