1999 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

1999 CR-V Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sort Reviews by

Love My Honda
By hondalover31

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I purchased my 1999 Honda CRV in Feb. 2008. It had 98,000 miles on it. Other than the timing belt and regular ware and tear it has been an excellent car. I now have 267,000 miles on it!!!! I recommend honda to anyone who asks..both my kids drive a honda and my dad just bought his first honda a year ago!

Excellent Reliability, Great Performance
By kopper65

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Bought this car used two years ago (2012) with about 80k miles on it. It had had the timing belt replaced already, so I felt pretty confident that this car would last a while before any major mechanical failures, and, so far I've been right. Absolutely no problems in the two years I've owned it, just normal maintenance costs, including new tires. I really love how it drives... it's peppy, handles excellently well, and I love driving it in the snow. I sometimes wish it had a bit more power for acceleration, but not often. I typically just drive it at the speed limit and see gas mileage in the low 20s. Overall I've been very happy with the car and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon!

Favorite Features

Cargo area, including the folding table in the back. I also love the sun roof. Another thing I love about this car is that the interior is very basic, nothing fancy, and almost utilitarian in nature. I'm not a fan of lots of bells and whistles and gadgets. I only wish I had the manual transmission instead.

Best Car Ever
By dustygirl

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Wish they still made them like this. I am the original owner of my '99 honda crv and now have 191,000 miles on it. No major problems...Just put a new radiator on it about two years ago, the old one just had a pin-hole leak. The original battery lasted 9 years and was still okay, but I decided I'd just be safe rather than sorry and replaced it. Only issue I ever had with it was a bad clunking/thunking when going over even small uneven spots...it was a $12 fix and just needed a new bushing where the sway bar end link went in. We change the oil on time, and change the transmission fluid earlier than what it calls for. I've checked valve clearance and they've always been fine.

Favorite Features

Roomy backseat and cargo area. Excellent reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Handles a bit like a cinderblock, but that just keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

206,000 and going strong!!!!
By brewmyown

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I have a 1999 CR-V EX with 206,000 miles and and its still going strong. As others have said, adjust the valves every 20K - 30K (or sooner since its so simple to do in less than an hour without much knowledge at all), change your fluids as scheduled (Transmission, motor oil, rear diff oil, etc.) and it will last a long, long time. Even the cloth interors on these cars lasts forever without showing wear. The vehicle is amazingly roomy inside.

Favorite Features

AWD, gas mileage, roominess for a smaller vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really

Great small Suv
By small3

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my 1999 Honda Suv for 6 years with no problems! It now has 343000 on the clock but still goes like a dream. The AWD for me is great. I have launched my boat in some really awkward places at Jozini dam but the car never let me down. We had a holiday at Pont D' Outo this year and the car had no problems with the sand we didn't get stuck once!!! And those sand roads are bad.

Great little suv but not a true suv
By lillukas

1999 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my car 2 years ago with 104k and now have 144k and really havent had any problems with it..just replaced tires and radiator..i needed something bigger for work and this suv was perfect..plenty of room inside..fit 5 ppl often in the car..awd works very well in all conditions, and is quite fun on a little bit of offroading..but you have to be careful with that.. its awd is good but its not 4WD..i didnt have success on the sand but havent tried it often..mpg are about 25mpg combined..my only complain with the car is that the engine is just too weak..yes its why it gets good mpgs but only 146 hp and 133lb ft..its peppy but just needed more power..but honestly its just so practical

Favorite Features

Interior space..tons of little compartments, love the under the passenger seat compartment..under the picnic table space..and i love the way it looks..i would take this model over the other gens in a heartbeat..mpgs are good too..i've gotten over 400 miles in a tank before

Suggested Improvements

it def needed more power and torque for sure..would've loved like 175hp and 175lb ft or a small V6..the sound system was eh but i upgraded that so..but the cargo mounted speakers are in a bad position

One great little SUV!
By j1powell

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I purchased this car used with only 7000 miles on it. I now have 126,500 miles on the odometer and have towed it at least 25,000 miles behind a motorhome. It has been serviced every 3000 to 4000 miles including all of the Manufacturer's recommended services. Other than a few door dings from several unconscious sloppy people, it looks great and drives great. What a workhorse it has been for us. Great to own!!

10 years and 130K miles still strong (with caveats)
By ruckerz

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Bought this car new and still purrs like a puppy ten years later. Things to keep an eye out on [1] Automatic transmissions, don't forget to change that oil regularly. [2] I had to replace the radiator at around 90,000 miles. It developed a crack in the cheap plastic casing in the front right below the fill port. [3] Lube that rear differential regularly. You'll definitely need to change it if you notice that tight turns at low (5 mph) speeds causes a humming from the rear. [4] ADJUST VALVE CLEARANCES early and regularly! The cylinder heads on the first generation CRV's are soft aluminum and the valve seats can recede into the head cooking your valves and a very costly repair

Hands-down, simply the best ever
By surfer66

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

We bought our silver '99 CRV new, and have done every maintenance step our trusted dealer has suggested. One major session, @ 100,000 M, cost $1200 another around $1000. This car hasn't skipped a beat, ever! It has been the most reliable, smoothest running car I've ever owned in the 49 years I've been driving. The 4-wheel on demand has never failed, and it was one of the first offered to the public at a reasonable price with that feature. Finally one small rust area has appeared. We we finally sell it and get a new CRV we hope it comes close to the quality of this one.

Favorite Features

The 4-wheel on demand feature.

Suggested Improvements

Our '99 is the first year model. The following year they upped the engine size, Ours is "weak" in the mountains and we find it jumps into lower gear to go up the steep grades. Our mileage isn't very good either.

Fantastic!
By Warren

1999 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought the old girl with a little less than 30 000 miles on it. I was was warned never to buy a used rental. ten years later the car has 232,000 miles on it. In those ten years the car let me down once. (A freak electrical thing that ended up being a 50$ fix.) I have not been kind to this car. The thing is gutless (Good lord is it gutless) so I always seem to be over revving the car. I have towed WAY over its rated max weight. I'm terrible at maintenance. NEVER changed the oil on time. The car has pocks from a Kansas hailstorm. I,ve been rear ended. I cannot kill this car for love or money. She is starting to show her years now. Just like her owner.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Could do with a few more ponies.