Daily driver
By jerry154 on
1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV
I purchased my CRV used with 111,000 miles and have driven it daily for about 5 years. Super reliable vehicle that has ample interior room and surprisingly large cargo area. It runs good, handles good, does excellent in the snow (I live on a hill in the country and have never been stuck or had to walk once), and gets superb gas mileage compared to other SUVs. My commute is only about 10 miles one way to work, and even with several long trips including one to Florida I have only logged 25,000 miles so far. Not impressive by any means but this car has needed zero work done on it, other than oil changes. In the past I have had many American cars driven the same need lots of work.
Favorite Features
Reliability. Reliability. Reliability. Surprisingly comfortable interior, with ample cargo space. The AWD is excellent in the snow, and you actually never know when AWD is being utilized it is so smooth. Good gas mileage. Excellent handling and road hugging capabilities. Overall, when looking at the big picture the total cost of ownership for this car is the least of any car I have owned.
Suggested Improvements
The transmission is kind quirky. I have the 4 speed automatic which has a torque converter that engages at highway speeds to drop rpms. It doesn't always work when it is cold out and the vehicle must be run at 3000 rpms on the highway instead of about 2200 rpms. Also, when going up hills the transmission will not shift into a higher gear. I took this car in to have these issues checked out by a Honda dealer who advised that both issues where actually normal.