1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Still Going Strong
By Honda Convert on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I've put 103K miles on this baby in just 4 1/2 years, and it still rides new. First set of tires lasted 80K. First major check-up at 90K. Only problem were brakes - never buy aftermarket brake parts. Went back to Honda parts and have had no problems since. Giving up my Civic wasn't a problem, because it still felt like one, only better. The new look doesn't appeal to me. The original square design looks tougher.

Versatile vehicle
By Mark Miller on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have been very satisfied with my CRV. I love the size of the door openings and don't need to bend my head for entry. It feels as though you can walk into the car for seating. Gives you a great view of the road and seats give good back support. Back seat passengers are very comfortable. Great when roads are slippery. Use the fold down seat option often. I am having trouble deciding rather to buy out my lease. or if I should new CRV.

Nearly Flawless
By pgardner on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The only unexpected incident, a whining noise from the rear diff when doing a u-turn, was fixed by changing the oil in the rear diff. Mileage on this 5-spd has been better than expected. City has averaged 26mpg. Hwy mileage is another story, it really fluctuates with speed, as low as 22mpg driving a steady 85mph across Montana, to a high of 31mpg driving 50-55mph along the Oregon coast. Typical 65-70mph cruising yields 28mpg. Off-road ability isn't bad, but lack of ground clearance and any low-range gearing really limits your options. Replacing the stock tires was the biggest help off-road. Can't be beat in the snow & ice.

1998 CR-V
By teacher on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

We absolutely love our CR-V. We have always had great luck with Honda anyway. We like the manual transmision and found this very fun to drive. We did test drive the Toyota 4-Runner and there was no comparison. The Honda was better built, had more room (3 seat belts in the back), and hey ! it has the folding picnic table! What great use of space ! :-) Being able to drive and get gas mileage of a car but the versatility of a SUV without looking like a mini-van-- this is great!

One more thing
By teacher2 on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I forgot to add in my previous review that there is air noise in the cabin. That was the main reason I wanted to write the review! It is a little too noisy as compared to the Honda Accord.

Security
By ftamg on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

It is very strong vehicule. The heart is strong enough to support 3 big impact in 3 years without driver injuries or internal damage of the car. Just plastic and exterior damages.

Hondas are super-reliable!
By JP9000 on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Excellent handling and comfort. I wish the interior were quieter at highway speeds (mostly wind noise from side mirrors and roof-rack, some engine noise). Next model year (1999) has 20 more horsepower than 1998, so mine's not as peppy as it could be. 20-24mpg seems low - even for an SUV. Much more passenger 'elbow-room' and leg-room than Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Outback. In general, a quality, fun, roomy vehicle.

Tom on the CRV
By Tom from Kirkland on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The CRV was our first SUV and Honda experience. As far as this class goes, the CRV is exemplary in that it combines much of the best of both world: car-like manners and comfort with enough off-road capabilities for most camping and hiking trips. (Note that it emphatically will not do the Paris to Dakkar rally...) Reliability and build quality are wonderful. With 60k miles, the car has required two non-routine maintainence repairs: a loose gasket on the rear license plate holder and a rear diff oil change. The car still has the original brakes and needed only one set of tires. Not a rattle or squeak to be heard.

Excellent SUV
By JustMe on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I have my SUV for 1.5 years already, this baby never gave me any problems ! Also it's fun to drive it with a stick.

Good little SUV
By Luvahonda on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I've had my CRV for 4 1/2 years & have never had any problems. It has been a great car for me but I have outgrown it & plan to purchase a new Pilot. I think this would be a very reliable used car.