Used 1998 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Daily driver
By jerry154

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I purchased my CRV used with 111,000 miles and have driven it daily for about 5 years. Super reliable vehicle that has ample interior room and surprisingly large cargo area. It runs good, handles good, does excellent in the snow (I live on a hill in the country and have never been stuck or had to walk once), and gets superb gas mileage compared to other SUVs. My commute is only about 10 miles one way to work, and even with several long trips including one to Florida I have only logged 25,000 miles so far. Not impressive by any means but this car has needed zero work done on it, other than oil changes. In the past I have had many American cars driven the same need lots of work.

Reliability. Reliability. Reliability. Surprisingly comfortable interior, with ample cargo space. The AWD is excellent in the snow, and you actually never know when AWD is being utilized it is so smooth. Good gas mileage. Excellent handling and road hugging capabilities. Overall, when looking at the big picture the total cost of ownership for this car is the least of any car I have owned.

The transmission is kind quirky. I have the 4 speed automatic which has a torque converter that engages at highway speeds to drop rpms. It doesn't always work when it is cold out and the vehicle must be run at 3000 rpms on the highway instead of about 2200 rpms. Also, when going up hills the transmission will not shift into a higher gear. I took this car in to have these issues checked out by a Honda dealer who advised that both issues where actually normal.

282,000 Miles
By Vito

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle 8 years ago with 79,000 miles. I have averaged well over 25k miles per year and have NOT had any major issues. Original engine and transmission. Original A/C compressor blows cold. I have yet to replace the original muffler. I have serviced this vehicle per Honda's specifications with the exception of oil changes. I change oil & filter every 7500 miles.I have never got this kind of reliability & performance in 40 years of owning and driving American built cars. Gas mileage:21-23 city, 25-26 hwy. This vehicle refuses to quit. This is the best vehicle I have EVER owned! I will, without hesitation, purchase another Honda CR-V!

Fold down split rear seats; rear table; storage space under rear table; many storage compartments.

In newer models:. Honda has moved the power window controls from the dash to the driver's door arm rest. They have also added a left arm rest to the front passenger seat.

Good little used car, glad I found it
By L in TN

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

This is a nice car the money. Purchased it used and the very next day drove it to Smokey Mountains in TN. It is a 4 cyl but it held its own on the highway. Paid cash and enjoy carefree ownership. No sputtering, no slow start-ups even in the unusually cold winter, no trouble in the snow. Very good value. Nice for going to Sam's, easy to load. Will be getting tinted this week, plan to keep this car for a while.

Style

Like others have mentioned no passenger arm rest, but I am always driving so no bother to me.

1998 honda crv lx
By anolden

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

Wonderful, reliable vehicle, just have had constant problems with the front end since it was purchased. Bought at 70k miles and had to replace rack and pinion and the front end has just been awful after that. The handling is not good and have been through several sets of tires.

Need to give attention to the front end of the truck.

LOVE MY CRV-GETTING ANOTHER
By Amy L

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle bcuz I had a 2 door Civic and I wanted something a little bigger since I was having a baby. This car has NEVER let me down. I think the interior quality is awesome-I haven't been the cleanest person in my car (have horses and dogs) and all I have to do is vacuum it and it looks great. Shampoo it once in a great while and looks brand new. Never had any mechanical issues w/exception of drive shaft and motor for window needed to be replaced. And it is a lil rusty cuz I live in snowy central NY. Other than normal wear and tear, it has worked out great for me. Excellent in snow!!! Love this vehicle and will be sad to see it go when I get a new one: (

RELIABILITY!!! How it is laid out. Makes sense and is easy to find everything. Lots of little nooks and crannies for storage. Decent gas mileage. Oh, and did I mention RELIABILITY?!!! LOL Love the moon roof : ) VERY large interior for such a small SUV-way bigger than my friends' subaru and escape.

Like everybody else said-passenger's side armrest. Everybody that gets in the vehicle mentions that! But I've heard the new ones have one! Honda learned from its mistake! Wish Honda could weatherproof it from the nasty Central NY winters!