1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
98 CRV
By 98 CRV on 04/08/09 03:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I bought this car new in 1998 and it remained our most driven family vehicle, and now the one my teenage daughter prefers to drive also. After 153,000 miles it still runs excellent, very light and car-like in handling. With the timing belt/water pump replacement I had the spark plugs replaced and idle reset... it runs like new and still gets 27-29 on the highway and mid-20's in normal commuting. No noticeable wear marks on the interior and no paint issues on this car. I've owned many luxury cars over the years, but this CRV has been by far the best value in any vehicle owned and the only one I've never wanted to part with. It is a superb value.

Still Kicking after 175,000 Miles!
By leesuh on 03/02/09 06:13 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My Honda has been reliable since day 1. Starts every time. Great AWD performance. Very comfy, lower to ground for short people like me. Keep w maintenance schedule and you should have no problems. I have some underbelly rust on exhaust system after 10 years, but I live ON the L.I. Sound, literally. Salt water daily on or near car. Can't be helped. Car is old but excellent performance still. Radiator went at 170K.

I'll buy another if this one ever dies
By crvfan on 01/26/09 18:52 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased new in July 1998. It's not the most luxurious vehicle on the road, but this is far and away the most reliable. 10+ years and 242000 miles later I am still happy with this purchase. It is just now starting to have surface rust, but mechanically it is great. The air conditioner still works as well today as it did ten years ago. It still has the original clutch! I just can't justify getting rid of a vehicle that runs this well.

Good Value - Severe Weather Ready
By drive2quik on 01/24/09 12:59 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

I got the CR-V when a deer killed my 1995 Nissan 4x4. I got a good deal on it and have owned a Honda Civic in the past so I bought it mostly on AWD capability and the Honda name. It was a great little commuter car - I drove 45 miles a day (one way) to school and work. I got about 22 MPG overall. The all weather capability of this vehicle is excellent - deep snow, light snow, rain - all good. I had 205/75R15 Uniroyal Laredo tires that I had put on it since I live in the sticks and drive gravel roads. Ride was a bit rough and loud but the traction was very good. I would recommend this brand and model to anyone - Just replaced it with a 2006 Honda Ridgeline.

Hard to Beat
By Ian on 01/23/09 04:43 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My wife chose this car for her, but I have grown to love it. I told her we HAD to get the 5 spd., as it's a little underpowered for my taste. It makes all the difference in the world, I am sure. I've had three Hondas and they have all been wonderful in ownership. I read a Honda review 20+ years ago and the magazine said that Hondas don't do any one thing exceptionally, but they all things well. I would have to totally agree. This car has never been stuck in the snow, and I have tried. Two feet of snow will get anything stuck, but with a little bit of smart maneuvering, this will go through a fair amount of snow. It gets decent mileage, even with my heavy foot. We bought ours Certified. Nice!

10 Years and Still Lovin' It!
By Roy on 10/15/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

The perfect small family SUV! I bought mine new over 10 years ago and as of today it just went over 218,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I have had no trouble at all with this vehicle. Great ground clearance has allowed me to do some light off- roading with it. As mine is only FWD I was apprehensive about moving to Upstate New York with it, but it handled the deep snows up there in admiral fashion using just regular all season tires. Even though I am thinking of getting a newer Honda (Pilot) I am not getting rid of my CR-V. This is the first vehicle that I have owned for more than 3 years and given it's outstanding reliability I plan to keep it for another 10 years.

Love for the CRV
By CRV Love on 09/21/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I got my CR-V 7 years ago and it had 60,000 miles on it. Now it has 215,000 and the transmission is JUST NOW starting to act up. I LOVE my little car and it's breaking my heart to have to say goodbye. I have only had ONE major issue with it (besides this) and it was because I ran out of gas on the freeway and the Cat-converter went out. Other then that this car has been the best I have ever had. I would recommend this car to EVERYONE! The only grip I have (well passengers have) is the lack of a second arm rest. I have told them all to lay down the $250 to add one and I would get it for them. As for the guy with the 'code' issue take it to a stereo store maybe they can help.

1998 Honda CR-V
By areyoukiddingme? on 01/22/08 13:42 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The reliability in this truck is incredible. I bought mine with 144000 miles and now have 229000 and it is still tight. The guy who just did my timimg belt couldn't believe the shape the engine is in. It is what is designed to be - fuel efficient, 4wd, roomy and functional.

Love MY CRV
By charlie on 12/27/07 11:23 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

This Little RV has never let me down. It now has 180,000 miles and still gets 25 MPG. Maintenance costs have been below expectations. Carpets and upholstery are all intact and easy to clean. The body and paint are still all fine. While this in no race car, it's a good daily commuter and carries all the fun stuff that on weekends. My kids find the back seat comfortable. I find the front seats comfortable for trips up to about an hour. Road noise from the rear wheels would be my only complaint.

Piece of garbage!
By Lauren on 06/28/07 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our CRV in 2004 and we absolutely hate it! We can't wait to get rid of it. It revs up really high when trying to speed up, so it sounds like you are going fast, but you are hardly moving. The cruise control can differ like 10 mph than what you set it at. It has a hard time going up hills and revs up really high. Good luck trying to pass anyone. The stereo sounds horrible. The paint is cheap as well as the carpet. We think there is a slight oil problem because of a little smoke that comes out of the exhaust. Electrical is so messed up! Alot of things don't work properly. Very uncomfortable, especially for long trips. I don't see why people recommend Honda's! They are cheap junk.