1998 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Lemon?
By awolowa on 04/01/13 10:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We got this car in 2008 and were the second owners only. It looked in amazing shape with only 100 000km. However, aside from the amazing craftsmanship, the thing would break every 2 to 3 months for the last 4 years. It was always something, and it often ended costing close to $1000 every time. And every time, I thought "this is probably the last time", but no. So finally, we had to scrap this money pit. Not many people complain about this car, but I guess we had a lemon, or at least, it became one in our hands.

good reliable car
By tessnluke on 09/26/12 15:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We have this CRV and for the most part we like it. Very reliable, haven' had anything wrong with it at all. But it is a Honda after all...

1998 CR-V AWSOME RIDE
By mike44439 on 07/11/12 14:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Just bought a used 1998 CR V with just a little over 100,000 miles., so far great vehicle with great gas mileage averaging 25 and 28 on the freeway, not sure how they list it as 19 and 23, its so much better then that. Great to get around in the city and everday driving, with lots of space and comfort. For long trips I would prefer my F150 Lariat, but to save money on gas I'll use my CR V. As far as power its great for a 4cyl, and handles good, can't expect the power of a big vehicle in a little SUV, but its better then I expected., going up grades.

First car! (170,000 Miles)
By emmalandry on 12/26/11 14:07 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I bought this as my first car about 8 months ago and although it is not much to look at, it is pretty reliable. I have had to fix lots of little things which is really annoying, but I guess you can expect that from any used car really. The most i've spent is a few hundred on some sensor or another. As far as appearance, like i said, not so great, and it's kind of clunky. If you have to go 50 up a steep hill, except to go wheezing up it and end up going 40. This is a stubborn car. I would recommend this to a GUY for a first car, but for girls. No. I kind of regret buying mine. The cons outweigh the pros.

Best 1st/any car
By hondatoyotacj on 05/15/11 21:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

This was my 1st car. 182,000 miles and it drove like a dream. I loved the way the truck drove and how it felt just sitting in it. My CR-V had a great smell, possibly of victory since it's an amazing car. I got a new car and sold it (Mistake). I don't get the same feeling with my Xb. This will always be my favorite car. If I could find one around my house that had decent miles, I'd be all over it. I plead for potential CR-V owners to purchase this truck. Join the family!

Daily driver
By jerry154 on 04/01/11 00:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I purchased my CRV used with 111,000 miles and have driven it daily for about 5 years. Super reliable vehicle that has ample interior room and surprisingly large cargo area. It runs good, handles good, does excellent in the snow (I live on a hill in the country and have never been stuck or had to walk once), and gets superb gas mileage compared to other SUVs. My commute is only about 10 miles one way to work, and even with several long trips including one to Florida I have only logged 25,000 miles so far. Not impressive by any means but this car has needed zero work done on it, other than oil changes. In the past I have had many American cars driven the same need lots of work.

98 CRV
By 98 CRV on 04/08/09 03:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I bought this car new in 1998 and it remained our most driven family vehicle, and now the one my teenage daughter prefers to drive also. After 153,000 miles it still runs excellent, very light and car-like in handling. With the timing belt/water pump replacement I had the spark plugs replaced and idle reset... it runs like new and still gets 27-29 on the highway and mid-20's in normal commuting. No noticeable wear marks on the interior and no paint issues on this car. I've owned many luxury cars over the years, but this CRV has been by far the best value in any vehicle owned and the only one I've never wanted to part with. It is a superb value.

10 Years and Still Lovin' It!
By Roy on 10/15/08 11:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

The perfect small family SUV! I bought mine new over 10 years ago and as of today it just went over 218,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance I have had no trouble at all with this vehicle. Great ground clearance has allowed me to do some light off- roading with it. As mine is only FWD I was apprehensive about moving to Upstate New York with it, but it handled the deep snows up there in admiral fashion using just regular all season tires. Even though I am thinking of getting a newer Honda (Pilot) I am not getting rid of my CR-V. This is the first vehicle that I have owned for more than 3 years and given it's outstanding reliability I plan to keep it for another 10 years.

Love for the CRV
By CRV Love on 09/21/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I got my CR-V 7 years ago and it had 60,000 miles on it. Now it has 215,000 and the transmission is JUST NOW starting to act up. I LOVE my little car and it's breaking my heart to have to say goodbye. I have only had ONE major issue with it (besides this) and it was because I ran out of gas on the freeway and the Cat-converter went out. Other then that this car has been the best I have ever had. I would recommend this car to EVERYONE! The only grip I have (well passengers have) is the lack of a second arm rest. I have told them all to lay down the $250 to add one and I would get it for them. As for the guy with the 'code' issue take it to a stereo store maybe they can help.

Love MY CRV
By charlie on 12/27/07 11:23 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

This Little RV has never let me down. It now has 180,000 miles and still gets 25 MPG. Maintenance costs have been below expectations. Carpets and upholstery are all intact and easy to clean. The body and paint are still all fine. While this in no race car, it's a good daily commuter and carries all the fun stuff that on weekends. My kids find the back seat comfortable. I find the front seats comfortable for trips up to about an hour. Road noise from the rear wheels would be my only complaint.