Used 1998 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Lemon?
By awolowa

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We got this car in 2008 and were the second owners only. It looked in amazing shape with only 100 000km. However, aside from the amazing craftsmanship, the thing would break every 2 to 3 months for the last 4 years. It was always something, and it often ended costing close to $1000 every time. And every time, I thought "this is probably the last time", but no. So finally, we had to scrap this money pit. Not many people complain about this car, but I guess we had a lemon, or at least, it became one in our hands.

For a 1998, I often felt I was in a 2008 when driving this thing. Honda did a great job in design...

Arm rest for the passenger.

good reliable car
By tessnluke

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We have this CRV and for the most part we like it. Very reliable, haven' had anything wrong with it at all. But it is a Honda after all...

nice and roomy for being a small suv. the back (trunk) area has plenty of room for big shopping trips even to Costco.

I know this may sounds petty, but not having an arm rest on the passenger side seat drives me nuts! I you're driving the car you have no problem with being comfortable for the most part, but the passenger side is terrible. I refuse to take this car on a trip because I don't want to have to sit without an arm rest. You don't realize how much you use one until there isn't one. If the middle console was up high enough you could probably rest your arm on that, but it sits way below the side of the seat. and i also have no place to put my purse. LOL I told you it would probably sound petty. oh and it's not the most powerful car either and the stereo is horrible, but you can jus replace that.

1998 CR-V AWSOME RIDE
By mike44439

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Just bought a used 1998 CR V with just a little over 100,000 miles., so far great vehicle with great gas mileage averaging 25 and 28 on the freeway, not sure how they list it as 19 and 23, its so much better then that. Great to get around in the city and everday driving, with lots of space and comfort. For long trips I would prefer my F150 Lariat, but to save money on gas I'll use my CR V. As far as power its great for a 4cyl, and handles good, can't expect the power of a big vehicle in a little SUV, but its better then I expected., going up grades.

Space, Compartments, Seats, Power for a Little Vehicle.

Driver side Leg space could be a couple inches more to accomadate someone taller then 6ft. Sound system could be better too.

First car! (170,000 Miles)
By emmalandry

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I bought this as my first car about 8 months ago and although it is not much to look at, it is pretty reliable. I have had to fix lots of little things which is really annoying, but I guess you can expect that from any used car really. The most i've spent is a few hundred on some sensor or another. As far as appearance, like i said, not so great, and it's kind of clunky. If you have to go 50 up a steep hill, except to go wheezing up it and end up going 40. This is a stubborn car. I would recommend this to a GUY for a first car, but for girls. No. I kind of regret buying mine. The cons outweigh the pros.

-Size, plenty of space! -Window Size (you can see EVERYTHING!) -Reliability (Kind of)

-MPG -Attractiveness -No arm rest on passenger side -No pep, hard time going up hills -Kind of loud (Not VERY loud, but louder than a small car)

Best 1st/any car
By hondatoyotacj

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

This was my 1st car. 182,000 miles and it drove like a dream. I loved the way the truck drove and how it felt just sitting in it. My CR-V had a great smell, possibly of victory since it's an amazing car. I got a new car and sold it (Mistake). I don't get the same feeling with my Xb. This will always be my favorite car. If I could find one around my house that had decent miles, I'd be all over it. I plead for potential CR-V owners to purchase this truck. Join the family!

4WD, smell, room, performance, everything!

Doesn't need any