1998 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Lemon?
By awolowa on 04/01/13 10:40 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We got this car in 2008 and were the second owners only. It looked in amazing shape with only 100 000km. However, aside from the amazing craftsmanship, the thing would break every 2 to 3 months for the last 4 years. It was always something, and it often ended costing close to $1000 every time. And every time, I thought "this is probably the last time", but no. So finally, we had to scrap this money pit. Not many people complain about this car, but I guess we had a lemon, or at least, it became one in our hands.

good reliable car
By tessnluke on 09/26/12 15:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We have this CRV and for the most part we like it. Very reliable, haven' had anything wrong with it at all. But it is a Honda after all...

1998 CR-V AWSOME RIDE
By mike44439 on 07/11/12 14:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Just bought a used 1998 CR V with just a little over 100,000 miles., so far great vehicle with great gas mileage averaging 25 and 28 on the freeway, not sure how they list it as 19 and 23, its so much better then that. Great to get around in the city and everday driving, with lots of space and comfort. For long trips I would prefer my F150 Lariat, but to save money on gas I'll use my CR V. As far as power its great for a 4cyl, and handles good, can't expect the power of a big vehicle in a little SUV, but its better then I expected., going up grades.

First car! (170,000 Miles)
By emmalandry on 12/26/11 14:07 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I bought this as my first car about 8 months ago and although it is not much to look at, it is pretty reliable. I have had to fix lots of little things which is really annoying, but I guess you can expect that from any used car really. The most i've spent is a few hundred on some sensor or another. As far as appearance, like i said, not so great, and it's kind of clunky. If you have to go 50 up a steep hill, except to go wheezing up it and end up going 40. This is a stubborn car. I would recommend this to a GUY for a first car, but for girls. No. I kind of regret buying mine. The cons outweigh the pros.

Best 1st/any car
By hondatoyotacj on 05/15/11 21:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

This was my 1st car. 182,000 miles and it drove like a dream. I loved the way the truck drove and how it felt just sitting in it. My CR-V had a great smell, possibly of victory since it's an amazing car. I got a new car and sold it (Mistake). I don't get the same feeling with my Xb. This will always be my favorite car. If I could find one around my house that had decent miles, I'd be all over it. I plead for potential CR-V owners to purchase this truck. Join the family!

Daily driver
By jerry154 on 04/01/11 00:47 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

I purchased my CRV used with 111,000 miles and have driven it daily for about 5 years. Super reliable vehicle that has ample interior room and surprisingly large cargo area. It runs good, handles good, does excellent in the snow (I live on a hill in the country and have never been stuck or had to walk once), and gets superb gas mileage compared to other SUVs. My commute is only about 10 miles one way to work, and even with several long trips including one to Florida I have only logged 25,000 miles so far. Not impressive by any means but this car has needed zero work done on it, other than oil changes. In the past I have had many American cars driven the same need lots of work.

282,000 Miles
By Vito on 08/18/10 15:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this vehicle 8 years ago with 79,000 miles. I have averaged well over 25k miles per year and have NOT had any major issues. Original engine and transmission. Original A/C compressor blows cold. I have yet to replace the original muffler. I have serviced this vehicle per Honda's specifications with the exception of oil changes. I change oil & filter every 7500 miles.I have never got this kind of reliability & performance in 40 years of owning and driving American built cars. Gas mileage:21-23 city, 25-26 hwy. This vehicle refuses to quit. This is the best vehicle I have EVER owned! I will, without hesitation, purchase another Honda CR-V!

Good little used car, glad I found it
By L in TN on 03/15/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD

This is a nice car the money. Purchased it used and the very next day drove it to Smokey Mountains in TN. It is a 4 cyl but it held its own on the highway. Paid cash and enjoy carefree ownership. No sputtering, no slow start-ups even in the unusually cold winter, no trouble in the snow. Very good value. Nice for going to Sam's, easy to load. Will be getting tinted this week, plan to keep this car for a while.

1998 honda crv lx
By anolden on 12/07/09 10:17 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD

Wonderful, reliable vehicle, just have had constant problems with the front end since it was purchased. Bought at 70k miles and had to replace rack and pinion and the front end has just been awful after that. The handling is not good and have been through several sets of tires.

LOVE MY CRV-GETTING ANOTHER
By Amy L on 08/02/09 16:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle bcuz I had a 2 door Civic and I wanted something a little bigger since I was having a baby. This car has NEVER let me down. I think the interior quality is awesome-I haven't been the cleanest person in my car (have horses and dogs) and all I have to do is vacuum it and it looks great. Shampoo it once in a great while and looks brand new. Never had any mechanical issues w/exception of drive shaft and motor for window needed to be replaced. And it is a lil rusty cuz I live in snowy central NY. Other than normal wear and tear, it has worked out great for me. Excellent in snow!!! Love this vehicle and will be sad to see it go when I get a new one: (