Used 1998 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V SUV

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sweet 1998 Honda CR-V at home in small town.
By Susanna Wassill

1998 Honda CR-V SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle sight unseen after reading carfax's, user reviews, user problems, etc. I had to drive to Chicago to pick it up which was horrible experience after almost getting hit twice due to others speeding. The ABS brake light was on and the salesman at the dealership said it was because the brakes had been changed and the code not reset. Not a problem, right? The car was really clean inside and out - no accidents. My brother drives it home for me while I lead with no problems. The next day when I get up to go to work, the engine light, the brake light, and the ABS brake light are all on. The tailgate handle is seized up. I decide to take it to our local Honda dealership service department. The ABS light is on because the rear wheels need new sensors - $500. The engine light because it needs a new distributor cap. Oil was leaking because it needed a new cam bolt. The red brake light I think because it was below zero. I pulled the parking brake all the way up and put it back down and it went out. When they said it was finished I made arrangements to pick it up after hours and the engine light was flashing still. I called them, got it back in, and 3 cylinders were tight. They also unseized the tailgate handle and got it to latch. The tailgate handle is a $185 repair through them. This summer I believe thanks to u-tube my brother and I can replace this ourselves. Also, the horn is not working and neither is the interior clock. All in all, I put in an additional $1010. I love how the vehicle drives. It has its squeaks and such, but for a 17 yr old Chicago SUV that has moved to a small town - it is a dream. I was surprised about my first gas mileage check of 25 mpg. I thought that was pretty good. Oh, the speakers are great!

Purchased new 17 years ago
By multiple Honda owner

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

This is one of the best built vehicles offered from Honda, the motor and durability of the interior are exceptional. We also own a 2009 CR-V since new, but I can't give it the same level of support... the cloth interior on the 2009 rips and stains easily, but the 1998 interior looks nearly new after using the car as a daily driver for 17 years. The B20 motor is one of the most durable and reliable engines on the market, ask any experienced Honda service rep. We have no rust on the vehicle and its been all over the world as part of a military family.

Around 200,000 miles we had to replace (or had replaced) suspension bushings, the radiator, a few timing belts, brakes and the muffler. However, for about 250,000 miles of service and counting its a great car. Its visibility is exceptional and all controls are extremely obvious, The entire car is durable and while road noise is higher than the newer CRV, we've never had electronic issues like the newer vehicles and the 98 CRV is very comfortable to drive.

Lemon?
By awolowa

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We got this car in 2008 and were the second owners only. It looked in amazing shape with only 100 000km. However, aside from the amazing craftsmanship, the thing would break every 2 to 3 months for the last 4 years. It was always something, and it often ended costing close to $1000 every time. And every time, I thought "this is probably the last time", but no. So finally, we had to scrap this money pit. Not many people complain about this car, but I guess we had a lemon, or at least, it became one in our hands.

For a 1998, I often felt I was in a 2008 when driving this thing. Honda did a great job in design...

Arm rest for the passenger.

good reliable car
By tessnluke

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

We have this CRV and for the most part we like it. Very reliable, haven' had anything wrong with it at all. But it is a Honda after all...

nice and roomy for being a small suv. the back (trunk) area has plenty of room for big shopping trips even to Costco.

I know this may sounds petty, but not having an arm rest on the passenger side seat drives me nuts! I you're driving the car you have no problem with being comfortable for the most part, but the passenger side is terrible. I refuse to take this car on a trip because I don't want to have to sit without an arm rest. You don't realize how much you use one until there isn't one. If the middle console was up high enough you could probably rest your arm on that, but it sits way below the side of the seat. and i also have no place to put my purse. LOL I told you it would probably sound petty. oh and it's not the most powerful car either and the stereo is horrible, but you can jus replace that.

1998 CR-V AWSOME RIDE
By mike44439

1998 Honda CR-V SUV LX 4dr SUV

Just bought a used 1998 CR V with just a little over 100,000 miles., so far great vehicle with great gas mileage averaging 25 and 28 on the freeway, not sure how they list it as 19 and 23, its so much better then that.
Great to get around in the city and everday driving, with lots of space and comfort.
For long trips I would prefer my F150 Lariat, but to save money on gas I'll use my CR V. As far as power its great for a 4cyl, and handles good, can't expect the power of a big vehicle in a little SUV, but its better then I expected., going up grades.

Space, Compartments, Seats, Power for a Little Vehicle.

Driver side Leg space could be a couple inches more to accomadate someone taller then 6ft. Sound system could be better too.