Used 1998 Honda CR-V LX Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Purchased new 17 years ago
By multiple Honda owner

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

This is one of the best built vehicles offered from Honda, the motor and durability of the interior are exceptional. We also own a 2009 CR-V since new, but I can't give it the same level of support... the cloth interior on the 2009 rips and stains easily, but the 1998 interior looks nearly new after using the car as a daily driver for 17 years. The B20 motor is one of the most durable and reliable engines on the market, ask any experienced Honda service rep. We have no rust on the vehicle and its been all over the world as part of a military family.

Around 200,000 miles we had to replace (or had replaced) suspension bushings, the radiator, a few timing belts, brakes and the muffler. However, for about 250,000 miles of service and counting its a great car. Its visibility is exceptional and all controls are extremely obvious, The entire car is durable and while road noise is higher than the newer CRV, we've never had electronic issues like the newer vehicles and the 98 CRV is very comfortable to drive.

Lemon?
By awolowa

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

We got this car in 2008 and were the second owners only. It looked in amazing shape with only 100 000km. However, aside from the amazing craftsmanship, the thing would break every 2 to 3 months for the last 4 years. It was always something, and it often ended costing close to $1000 every time. And every time, I thought "this is probably the last time", but no. So finally, we had to scrap this money pit. Not many people complain about this car, but I guess we had a lemon, or at least, it became one in our hands.

For a 1998, I often felt I was in a 2008 when driving this thing. Honda did a great job in design...

Arm rest for the passenger.

good reliable car
By tessnluke

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

We have this CRV and for the most part we like it. Very reliable, haven' had anything wrong with it at all. But it is a Honda after all...

nice and roomy for being a small suv. the back (trunk) area has plenty of room for big shopping trips even to Costco.

I know this may sounds petty, but not having an arm rest on the passenger side seat drives me nuts! I you're driving the car you have no problem with being comfortable for the most part, but the passenger side is terrible. I refuse to take this car on a trip because I don't want to have to sit without an arm rest. You don't realize how much you use one until there isn't one. If the middle console was up high enough you could probably rest your arm on that, but it sits way below the side of the seat. and i also have no place to put my purse. LOL I told you it would probably sound petty. oh and it's not the most powerful car either and the stereo is horrible, but you can jus replace that.

1998 CR-V AWSOME RIDE
By mike44439

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

Just bought a used 1998 CR V with just a little over 100,000 miles., so far great vehicle with great gas mileage averaging 25 and 28 on the freeway, not sure how they list it as 19 and 23, its so much better then that.
Great to get around in the city and everday driving, with lots of space and comfort.
For long trips I would prefer my F150 Lariat, but to save money on gas I'll use my CR V. As far as power its great for a 4cyl, and handles good, can't expect the power of a big vehicle in a little SUV, but its better then I expected., going up grades.

Space, Compartments, Seats, Power for a Little Vehicle.

Driver side Leg space could be a couple inches more to accomadate someone taller then 6ft. Sound system could be better too.

First car! (170,000 Miles)
By emmalandry

1998 Honda CR-V LX 4dr SUV

I bought this as my first car about 8 months ago and although it is not much to look at, it is pretty reliable. I have had to fix lots of little things which is really annoying, but I guess you can expect that from any used car really. The most i've spent is a few hundred on some sensor or another.
As far as appearance, like i said, not so great, and it's kind of clunky. If you have to go 50 up a steep hill, except to go wheezing up it and end up going 40. This is a stubborn car.
I would recommend this to a GUY for a first car, but for girls. No. I kind of regret buying mine. The cons outweigh the pros.

-Size, plenty of space! -Window Size (you can see EVERYTHING!) -Reliability (Kind of)

-MPG -Attractiveness -No arm rest on passenger side -No pep, hard time going up hills -Kind of loud (Not VERY loud, but louder than a small car)