Used 1998 Honda CR-V EX Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Sweet 1998 Honda CR-V at home in small town.
By Susanna Wassill

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle sight unseen after reading carfax's, user reviews, user problems, etc. I had to drive to Chicago to pick it up which was horrible experience after almost getting hit twice due to others speeding. The ABS brake light was on and the salesman at the dealership said it was because the brakes had been changed and the code not reset. Not a problem, right? The car was really clean inside and out - no accidents. My brother drives it home for me while I lead with no problems. The next day when I get up to go to work, the engine light, the brake light, and the ABS brake light are all on. The tailgate handle is seized up. I decide to take it to our local Honda dealership service department. The ABS light is on because the rear wheels need new sensors - $500. The engine light because it needs a new distributor cap. Oil was leaking because it needed a new cam bolt. The red brake light I think because it was below zero. I pulled the parking brake all the way up and put it back down and it went out. When they said it was finished I made arrangements to pick it up after hours and the engine light was flashing still. I called them, got it back in, and 3 cylinders were tight. They also unseized the tailgate handle and got it to latch. The tailgate handle is a $185 repair through them. This summer I believe thanks to u-tube my brother and I can replace this ourselves. Also, the horn is not working and neither is the interior clock. All in all, I put in an additional $1010. I love how the vehicle drives. It has its squeaks and such, but for a 17 yr old Chicago SUV that has moved to a small town - it is a dream. I was surprised about my first gas mileage check of 25 mpg. I thought that was pretty good. Oh, the speakers are great!

Still Kicking after 175,000 Miles!
By leesuh

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My Honda has been reliable since day 1. Starts every time. Great AWD performance. Very comfy, lower to ground for short people like me. Keep w maintenance schedule and you should have no problems. I have some underbelly rust on exhaust system after 10 years, but I live ON the L.I. Sound, literally. Salt water daily on or near car. Can't be helped. Car is old but excellent performance still. Radiator went at 170K.

Starts every time. Great visibility. Love the AWD. For what you get, this SUV is priced excellently. I will 90% get another CR-V soon and how boring is that? But I want same performance & reliability.

Kind of loud inside. Only 4 cylinder (which I need b/c I have lead foot) but w/ fat people in car, not great w huge hills. This is improved in newer models.

I'll buy another if this one ever dies
By crvfan

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased new in July 1998. It's not the most luxurious vehicle on the road, but this is far and away the most reliable. 10+ years and 242000 miles later I am still happy with this purchase. It is just now starting to have surface rust, but mechanically it is great. The air conditioner still works as well today as it did ten years ago. It still has the original clutch! I just can't justify getting rid of a vehicle that runs this well.

Honda quality. Low maintenance. It's corny, but I do use that little table.

none

Hard to Beat
By Ian

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My wife chose this car for her, but I have grown to love it. I told her we HAD to get the 5 spd., as it's a little underpowered for my taste. It makes all the difference in the world, I am sure. I've had three Hondas and they have all been wonderful in ownership. I read a Honda review 20+ years ago and the magazine said that Hondas don't do any one thing exceptionally, but they all things well. I would have to totally agree. This car has never been stuck in the snow, and I have tried. Two feet of snow will get anything stuck, but with a little bit of smart maneuvering, this will go through a fair amount of snow. It gets decent mileage, even with my heavy foot. We bought ours Certified. Nice!

The little table in the back - we use it often. The tiltable console tray. The super durable Honda EX cloth. Wipe it hard with a good cleaner, and even small soda spills are gone. Height gives good clearance from driving surface. Small & easy to park. MPG. Affordable repairs when needed. Full spare!

Noise is an issue. I know it's not a Lexus LS (quietest on the road), but a little more insulation maybe? More power came in the newer models - this one's is fair. Stereo could be better with low cost added. Small tires. I upgraded to bigger w/ white letter to make it look sportier. Nothing giant!

1998 Honda CR-V
By areyoukiddingme?

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The reliability in this truck is incredible. I bought mine with 144000 miles and now have 229000 and it is still tight. The guy who just did my timimg belt couldn't believe the shape the engine is in. It is what is designed to be - fuel efficient, 4wd, roomy and functional.

Very roomy, nice handling.

Hybrid