Used 1998 Honda CR-V EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Still Kicking after 175,000 Miles!
By leesuh

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My Honda has been reliable since day 1. Starts every time. Great AWD performance. Very comfy, lower to ground for short people like me. Keep w maintenance schedule and you should have no problems. I have some underbelly rust on exhaust system after 10 years, but I live ON the L.I. Sound, literally. Salt water daily on or near car. Can't be helped. Car is old but excellent performance still. Radiator went at 170K.

Starts every time. Great visibility. Love the AWD. For what you get, this SUV is priced excellently. I will 90% get another CR-V soon and how boring is that? But I want same performance & reliability.

Kind of loud inside. Only 4 cylinder (which I need b/c I have lead foot) but w/ fat people in car, not great w huge hills. This is improved in newer models.

I'll buy another if this one ever dies
By crvfan

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased new in July 1998. It's not the most luxurious vehicle on the road, but this is far and away the most reliable. 10+ years and 242000 miles later I am still happy with this purchase. It is just now starting to have surface rust, but mechanically it is great. The air conditioner still works as well today as it did ten years ago. It still has the original clutch! I just can't justify getting rid of a vehicle that runs this well.

Honda quality. Low maintenance. It's corny, but I do use that little table.

none

Hard to Beat
By Ian

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My wife chose this car for her, but I have grown to love it. I told her we HAD to get the 5 spd., as it's a little underpowered for my taste. It makes all the difference in the world, I am sure. I've had three Hondas and they have all been wonderful in ownership. I read a Honda review 20+ years ago and the magazine said that Hondas don't do any one thing exceptionally, but they all things well. I would have to totally agree. This car has never been stuck in the snow, and I have tried. Two feet of snow will get anything stuck, but with a little bit of smart maneuvering, this will go through a fair amount of snow. It gets decent mileage, even with my heavy foot. We bought ours Certified. Nice!

The little table in the back - we use it often. The tiltable console tray. The super durable Honda EX cloth. Wipe it hard with a good cleaner, and even small soda spills are gone. Height gives good clearance from driving surface. Small & easy to park. MPG. Affordable repairs when needed. Full spare!

Noise is an issue. I know it's not a Lexus LS (quietest on the road), but a little more insulation maybe? More power came in the newer models - this one's is fair. Stereo could be better with low cost added. Small tires. I upgraded to bigger w/ white letter to make it look sportier. Nothing giant!

1998 Honda CR-V
By areyoukiddingme?

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The reliability in this truck is incredible. I bought mine with 144000 miles and now have 229000 and it is still tight. The guy who just did my timimg belt couldn't believe the shape the engine is in. It is what is designed to be - fuel efficient, 4wd, roomy and functional.

Very roomy, nice handling.

Hybrid

I'll only be buying Honda in the future
By Stephanie

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love my 156,000 mile 9 year old CRV. I bought this car at 75,000 miles 4 years ago and have not had to spend any money on repairs. My only expenditures have been oil changes and a mileage based water pump/timing belt replacement. I would recommend the CRV to anyone. We are tentatively looking to replace my CRV with a new 2007 body style with nicer interior amenities, but I don't know if I'm ready to give this one up yet.

Reliability. Best compromise between car-like gas mileage and SUV-like size. Winter road handling! The AWD really helps with traction.

More pep. It is somewhat difficult to get up to full speed when entering a freeway/going up a hill/driving against the wind. But you can't beat the value of this lil' SUV. My second request would be a more stylish body, but Honda took care of this in the newer models.