1998 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:
Still Kicking after 175,000 Miles!
By leesuh on 03/02/09 06:13 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My Honda has been reliable since day 1. Starts every time. Great AWD performance. Very comfy, lower to ground for short people like me. Keep w maintenance schedule and you should have no problems. I have some underbelly rust on exhaust system after 10 years, but I live ON the L.I. Sound, literally. Salt water daily on or near car. Can't be helped. Car is old but excellent performance still. Radiator went at 170K.

I'll buy another if this one ever dies
By crvfan on 01/26/09 18:52 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased new in July 1998. It's not the most luxurious vehicle on the road, but this is far and away the most reliable. 10+ years and 242000 miles later I am still happy with this purchase. It is just now starting to have surface rust, but mechanically it is great. The air conditioner still works as well today as it did ten years ago. It still has the original clutch! I just can't justify getting rid of a vehicle that runs this well.

Hard to Beat
By Ian on 01/23/09 04:43 AM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

My wife chose this car for her, but I have grown to love it. I told her we HAD to get the 5 spd., as it's a little underpowered for my taste. It makes all the difference in the world, I am sure. I've had three Hondas and they have all been wonderful in ownership. I read a Honda review 20+ years ago and the magazine said that Hondas don't do any one thing exceptionally, but they all things well. I would have to totally agree. This car has never been stuck in the snow, and I have tried. Two feet of snow will get anything stuck, but with a little bit of smart maneuvering, this will go through a fair amount of snow. It gets decent mileage, even with my heavy foot. We bought ours Certified. Nice!

1998 Honda CR-V
By areyoukiddingme? on 01/22/08 13:42 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

The reliability in this truck is incredible. I bought mine with 144000 miles and now have 229000 and it is still tight. The guy who just did my timimg belt couldn't believe the shape the engine is in. It is what is designed to be - fuel efficient, 4wd, roomy and functional.

I'll only be buying Honda in the future
By Stephanie on 04/10/07 12:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love my 156,000 mile 9 year old CRV. I bought this car at 75,000 miles 4 years ago and have not had to spend any money on repairs. My only expenditures have been oil changes and a mileage based water pump/timing belt replacement. I would recommend the CRV to anyone. We are tentatively looking to replace my CRV with a new 2007 body style with nicer interior amenities, but I don't know if I'm ready to give this one up yet.

8 Years Old & Going Strong!
By Mike on 07/06/06 12:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my CRV new just over 8 years ago and this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. At 116,000 miles I still have not had to replace a single light bulb in the car. The Reliability and Quality have far exceeded my expectations! To date, I have not spent a dime on any unexpected service related items. It hauls my family of 4 nicely and provides plently of cargo room when needed. Keep up the good work Honda!

Best Car Ever
By mchae on 07/01/06 17:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I love my CR-V and am considering getting a new one. It has been 100% reliable and the best car I've ever owned even after 165k miles.

Great Car
By Mark on 06/20/06 08:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car about two years ago used with 80,000 and change on it. It has AWD, and is a manual. I have had other hondas in the past and this is the same as the three prior ones I have had. It never gives me any problems, smooth running, good mileage, lots of room inside. I can take four people skiing for the weekend in comfort. More back seat leg room then just about any SUV on the road. Handles like a car, I drive it in Manhattan a few times a week and do not get the extra charge that most SUVs get at the parking garages. I have even taken it for light off roading going to cabins in upstate NY and in Mass. I can not say enough about how nice of a car this is.

Great Used Car!
By Phil on 04/01/06 20:10 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this car when it was new. It's worst feature is the engine is underpowered and it automatically locks into a lower gear when uphill. This can kick in on the highway at 65 mph and the engine just starts revving. With that said, this has been a great car for my family. It never got stuck in the snow and ice. It has great visibility from the windows. It has been very reliable and has never let me down. It gets about 19 mph city driving and about 27 mph highway. It has long suspension that really smooths out the road bumps. I would recommend it.

Woefully underpowered
By Harleydude on 12/18/05 22:03 PM (PST)

1998 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD

At 126 horsepower you better live in an area where there aren't any hills! I live in WNY, in the Allegany Highlands and climbing the hills around here it sounds like the car is going to blow-up. Also, I am only averaging 20 MPG which for a 4 cylinder is horrible. When it rain the ABS light stays on until it dries out. No arm rest for the front passenger. For the top-of-the-line model the seats are not very comfortable. Fogs up inside during the winter or wet weather. Latch to open the back gate rusts up all the time due to poor location and design. Very disappointed for being a Honda.