Used 1997 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda CR-V

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

Best little SUV You Can Get
By The Best "CR-V"

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I've had this car over one year now. I've had no problem with it even with rainy Portland summer and winter. The car drives great and it has a great view. The things I've done on it are the regular oil change and tire rotation. I would suggest people to do the tune up once it reaches to 100K. I did mine around 95K and it gained more horse power after the tune up. It drives so much better now. CR-V alos work great in rain and snow. I've had no trouble with ice roads and snow (just have to drive slow).

Favorite Features

Exterior, interior, reliability

Suggested Improvements

More power and quieter interior. Softer seats. Tinted windows.

Awsome SUV!
By ptchevy

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I LOVE this car! Had to replace one of the cooling fans and performed necessary maintenance, but have NEVER had any type of engine or driveability prolems. I have 125,000 miles and will drive it 'til it dies, which may never happen, seeing how it rides and handles just like it did when I bought it with 24,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Reliability! I enjoy having a car that goes and goes and doesnt have "bad days"!

Suggested Improvements

More power. Id also settle for a hybrid version, so if their are any honda executives reading this...hint hint!

Great Investment
By StartingAFamily

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my CRV for nearly three years and have not had a single problem or even a hiccup. The value in three years has only went down several hundred dollars! My wife and I love our CRV. Go Honda!

Favorite Features

Exterior design is well before its time. Very functional interior.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the back seat was about two inches furthur back, our infant rear facing car seat/carrier wouldn't fit without moving the front seat forward, but now our son is in a front facing car seat and there is plenty of room.

115,000 miles and Counting...
By Filthy Ike

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

Considering it's a first-year model,this is a very reliable vehicle with few problems. It generally needs your usual maintenance and keeps on going. I bought mine used (68000 miles on the odometer) in 2000. It's been used to haul many things from top soil to 36" TV (the box barely fit in the back). It's been taken on and off road, on regular commute and 6-hour trips. My only complaint is it's WAY underpowered, which can be a pain when you need to get up to speed on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Excellent turning radius, visibility, versatile interior, adjustable roof rack (not fixed positions as in the new V), picnic table :)

Suggested Improvements

Needs 70 more horses and lots more torque, seats a bit stiff for long-distance driving.

Great little SUV
By Steven

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

In January 1997 I literally drove my CRV off the showroom floor. I believe it was the first CRV sold in Tampa, Florida. Seven years and 117,000 miles later, it is the best car I have ever owned, although it is not without problems. The A/C is very noisy and too weak for the Florida summer (dark tinted windows would probably help). Needed head gasket replaced at 97,000 miles. After 85,000 miles I had to switch to mid-grade unleaded to stop engine from knocking. My mileage is about 22city/25 highway, not as high as Honda claimed but better than any other SUV. Extremely reliable, I have driven several trips of 1200+ miles. Worst problem is abysmal service from theHonda dealership.

Favorite Features

High ground clearance, plenty of head and leg room in both front and backseats, lots of luggage space, especiallywith the rear seats folded down. Good traction with the AWD when driving on flooded or washed out roads in thunderstorms, but the high profile makes it a little unsteady in high winds.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger A/C, more engine power, better service from the dealership.