1997 Honda CR-V SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )
First Car Decent, Yet Lacking
By Hondas4Life on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

First car I've ever owned, and it's great to drive. Started having problems around 45,000 miles with the automatic transmission not downshifing to 3rd when drop in RPM's in 4th gear, causing the drive train to "lug" as a manual transmission car would if you failed to downshift and were driving it too slow. Causes a massive rattle that shakes the whole front dash, VERY annoying to deal with when driving around town. Other than that, very peppy car, gotta love the horn, and at 100,000 and still going strong.

Great car
By shelton on 09/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

97 model but bought new in 3/98. great milage and good looks. slighly underpowered but plenty good enough for around town driving which is what this car has done for the past 65 months. Has not been any problem with car at all and replaced tires at 65,000. Recommend this car to anyone because it is on the Civic chassis so drives like a car.

Best Honda Ever
By BryanBarrett on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my CRV for six years now. Best car I've ever owned! I have just replaced the original tires at 90,000 miles. Not one thing has gone wrong with the car. At 92,000 miles, all I've done to the car is the routine changing of various fluids as stated in the owner's manual. It still has the original brakes and has averaged 28 mpg for the six years I've owned it. I plan to keep this car until it registers 200,000 miles. Great car Honda!

One Of The Worst
By iDragonite1 on 05/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This car has quality issues. The 1st reason is that the car started stalling on me. It stalled on the freeway a number of times and on the street, it is an automatic transmission. 2nd, this car is way underpowered. I had trouble accelerating onto freeways. 3rd, the car handles poorly. The car is front heavy. This makes it diffcult to manuver and avoids things. 4th, the steering wheel is in an awkward position, like a van, and is not adjustable. We got the car brand new from the dealer and used it a lot but took good care of it. My guess is that we probably got a lemon, but that is our first and last experience with Honda.

Workhorse
By Annapolis on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This SUV has seen us from a newly married couple using it on our daily commute to a family with two kids and a dog. We have only had two non- maintenance related trips to the garage and one was covered under warranty. While under-powered in the year we bought it, the CRV has been flexible enought to meet all of the demands of a growing family. We have >110,000 miles on it and it shows no signs of quitting.

1997 honda crv still going strong
By flygirljill on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Great vehicle. Drives well, especially in rain and snow. AWD makes very stable & smooth. In 7 years only had recommended maintenance & front power source (cig lighter) fixed. 76000 miles and taking on long trip next month with no worries. Good on gas. Plenty of power. Honda knows how to get more hp on a 4cyl than anyone. Lots of nice features. Rear seats fold flat. Stereo is great. Seats are comfy. Great visibility. I have no reason to want to trade it in yet. Looks great, drives great.

Love my CRV
By moomoosmama on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

We bought our 97 CRV in November of 97 and its coming up on 5 years that we'd had it. Its been perfect. Not a single flaw. The only thing we've replaced on it are the tires and just this past summer when we hit 100,000km. Even Hubby who isn't a SUV fan loves it. I especially love all the rear legroom because when my kids kick their legs they aren't kicking my seat.

Best Mini SUV
By Marcy on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This is an excellent SUV. Honda has really done it. Since 1997 I have had not one single problem with this vehicle. The engine is fun and peppy though a few extra horses would certaintly help, though I believe the 1999 model has 147-hp as opposed to the 126-hp engine. There are only two gripes about this vehicle how ever. There is no arm rest on the passenger seat, which I believe the arm rest should be since the driver should have both hands on the wheel. The other minor gripe I have is that the window controls are to the left of the steering wheel. These are little things I can live with and have for the past 5 years.

Buy One!
By Ruby on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Love it! Will buy another soon!

overall great car
By 4 honda on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda CR-V SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Have over 107,000 miles on this vehicle only problem is limited power on hills and replacement of u-joint cost over $1000 due to the fact that I had to replace entire drive shaft in order to replace u-joint( not sold separately)