Used 1997 Honda CR-V Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda CR-V - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda CR-V

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. AWD 4-speed Automatic - (46 reviews )

Best vehicle I have ever owned!
By Derek T

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

This truck started out as my wife's. She was going to trade it in for a new Camry and they were going to give her $5,000.00. I told her that I would give her $5.500 for it. That was back in 2007, it had 98,000 miles on it. I traded it in for a 2008 CRV on 12/12/15, it had 330,006 miles on it and I bet it gets 100,000 more. Other than oil changes every 6,000 miles, it cost me 2 timing belts, 2 water pumps, one battery, a set of plugs and wires, powered window unit (drivers side), a set of rotors(let pads go to long), and a couple sets of brake pads. A couple years back It got a steering rack. The leak was so slow that it probably would have last me till I got rid of it. A couple months back it left me stranded on when the ignition module went out. That is the only time it left me stranded or would not turn over. All it needed when I got rid of it was a catalytic converter and a power window motor for passenger side. The interior was still great. In fact there was just one little spot wore through the carpet on drivers side. Cloth drivers seat was still perfect!. Not bad for 330.006 miles.

I bought my CRV in February 1997
By Happy CRV Owner

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my CRV with 13 miles on the odometer. Today my vehicle has approximately 264,000 miles. Maintenance costs have been minimal. I completely forgot to change the timing belt until the car had 175k miles on it. The mechanic later showed me the timing belt and said it was in incredibly good shape for having weathered that many miles. The only major repair I have had to speak of is replacing the radiator.

I live in a cold weather climate and never have to worry about ice and snow. The AWD kicks in when needed and I just plow on and get to my destination.

The car is 18 years old and I can honestly say it drives the same way today as when I first bought it in '97.

Great Car for the Money
By rockchalk7

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I got this car in 2010 with about 135k on it and drove it for 4 years and added about 30k miles. Overall, it was a great car. Lack of power is my main complaint - you had to floor it to get up a hill or pass someone, and it sometimes took the transmission forever to shift. The car couldn't maintain its speed on steep hills at all. My 2011 CR-V has eliminated these problems. I also didn't get as good of gas mileage as one would expect, but it is an SUV after all. Noisy ride. Several electrical problems including faulty power windows and locks - we finally traded it in because the car often wouldn't start and we believed it to be electrical. Nevertheless, I miss it!

I loved the interior layout and the look of the exterior. The interior was so roomy, including the back seats. It had no blind spots at all. The AWD worked great and I never had trouble getting through snow. I was a big fan of the center console tray, which luckily my 2011 CR-V still has.

Loved this car, she took a long time to wear out!
By nicoleinwi

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 1997 CR-V in 2002 with 100,000 miles on it at the time. I put on enough to get it up to 262,000 miles as of this month. Just yesterday the car finally broke down to the point where it's not economical to fix (transmission).

I've been told that had I changed the transmission fluid regularly this car could have stood a chance to last even longer than it already did. As it is I feel I got way more than my money's worth out of this great vehicle. I had to replace the radiator in 2009, but other than that most repairs I recall doing on this car were relatively minor. I'm sad she finally broke so bad!

MPG, agility in snow, reliability

Love My CR-V!
By hondacrv7

1997 Honda CR-V 4dr SUV AWD

I bought her used and have really only put minimal repairs into her. She only had 1 owner before me. They kept great records. I always take good care of her and keep her tuned up. I have had her for over 6 years and have put over 80 thousand miles on her. She has a totally of over 160,000 miles. She has been a GEM! I started looking for more fuel effecient vehicles lately, but I really don't want to give her up. I would have bought a new CR-V if they had kept a similiar style, but I really do not like the new style. Maybe, I'll just wait till' she finally gives out on me. Her qualities will be hard to match! Great in the snow, durable, long lasting reliability and overall Outstanding quality