2014 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2014 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2014 Honda Civic lemon
By kpedigo

2014 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I bought a new Honda Civic a year ago and from that time on I have had problems. Bad tire, bad hubcaps, paint coming off, RUST, oil pan not sealed when built, defective windshield. Honda has not stood behind this lemon and I will never buy another of their vehicles. Back to Toyota for me! I now have 9000 miles on this car.

EXL Sedan great value
By adansereau

2014 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 74 car !! Went back to a Civic Exl from an Accord sport 2013 I guess I like smaller cars. I see some complain about gas mpg and this is all about your right foot. the Accord could range from low 20s to well over 40 as to the Civic, high 20s to 41 42 when being careful. Love the keyless entry , blind side, the car really has great features, and has a sporty feeling. Plain and simple this is a lot of car for the money !!!!

Favorite Features

keyless entry, blind side camera and back up cam, quality, the space ship dash is like a video arcade !! The cvt actually works pretty darn good as well

Suggested Improvements

don't change it you may screw it up

Solid Honda Engineering
By scottywood

2014 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We got a great deal on a lease and traded in a Prius that needed a new hybrid battery pack. Honda has always been my wife's favorite. This is our third new Honda. All you do is change the oil and put in gas. You can't kill it. It just keeps going. We have the base LX, but it is still a beautiful car with excellent fit and finish. It doesn't lack any features that we miss. The interior is pretty with hard ugly plastics mostly banished and replaced with soft colorful materials. Gas mileage is great and we achieved the E.P.A. estimate of 39 m.p.g.on a long highway trip.

Favorite Features

My wife loves the Dyno Pearl Blue color. Honda has somehow also maintained that same Honda feel that her 1987 Accord had. As far as safety, we walked away from a collision that totaled our last Honda.

Suggested Improvements

The road noise on the highway is more than I expected. An actual mileage computer would be much more useful than the gimmicky L.E.D. indicator. The seat can get uncomfortable on long drives. Seats can be too hard and have too much side bolstering. Honda tries to sell you an extended warranty that should have come with the car in the first place. Shame on them. Watch out for dealer add ons. If they won't get rid of them, shop elsewhere.

Good at everything
By fronteeer

2014 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The 2014 Civic is a really inexpensive car. The mid-line EX with the fog lights option, has everything a premium car has, for under $22K, except leather. It's not as sporty as the WRX or Lancer, but it's sporty enough and way less expensive. It's not as powerful either, but it's more than powerful enough, even with Econ on all the time.

Favorite Features

It's a good looking car. It takes regular gas. It needs an oil change twice a year. Nothing has ever failed on my last three Civics. It gets around 39 MPG average no matter how hard you drive it. The power windows are really powerful and never get stuck closed in winter. It heats up fast on the coldest days. The interior is very well-appointed for a car in this price range. The stereo sounds great, and you can really crank it with decent bass and no distortion. The new traction control feature is amazing--turn the wheel and no matter how slippery the ground under you, the car goes where you point it by gently braking the inside wheels. The heads-up speedometer display is a must in any car.

Suggested Improvements

No convenient place for loose change. My 2011 had this cool little change slot in front of the handbrake that you could grab a handful of change out of without even looking. The 2014 has a big multi-purpose tray with a rubber mat in the bottom that makes trying to pick up a coin like being the victim a mean practical joke.

Probably not the target SI buyer!
By rjgcyder

2014 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My wife bought a new CRX in 1989. When kids arrived in 1993 we part exchanged it for a more sensible car - much to her disappointment. The kids are now in college, so we looked around for a fun car, principally for my wife to commute, but also for the kids to use when the others are taken. Everyone wanted a manual transmission, so that limited the choice. We tried the GTI, BRZ, Mini Cooper and Mazda 3. My choice was the BRZ, but was overridden on the grounds of practicality. In the end my wife chose the SI as she found it the most fun to drive - once you have had a screaming Honda 4, nothing else quite has the buzz...

Favorite Features

The engine and transmission. Driving position and ride are worthy of praise too. Ironically, my wife and I were concerned the SI was the least sensible choice of the cars we looked at - from the perspective of letting our teenage kids drive it. It's that engine again - none of the competition encourage you to wring their neck as much...

Suggested Improvements

We read a review on the Si. The reviewer stated at 34 years old, he was above the target audience... This is perhaps true. It is a shame the general appearance is so boy- racerish - huge wheels, spoiler etc. I miss the more understated look of the earlier ones.