uncomfortable seats
By derekleeo on
2013 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
It took a few days to realize how uncomfortable the front seats are in this car. I tried to trade it back in, and was told I would take a $3k loss. They also wanted me to pay full sticker on the new car. I would not recomend Ocean Honda of New Port Richey(Florida). I chose this car for the reliability and mpg. If it wasn't for the seat, I would love this car.
Favorite Features
The bluetooth/Pandora. The mpg! My first tank avg was 35.6 mpg. After the fill up, I drove about 30 miles home. I drove conservatively and the computer avg was 44.4.
Suggested Improvements
The seat. Customer sevice. These nice folks made money on the Civic and they will make money on my trade in. I asked for a break on the second deal and they just want to squeeze every dime they can get out of me.
By derekleeo
on 01/28/13 04:59 AM (PST)

There is no lumbar support. I like to sit fairly upright and it leaves a large empty space in my lower back. If I raise the seat, it changes the angle(which helps), but then I have no head room. So I have to lean way back like a wanna be gangster to not have pain in my back. I can't pull the wheel close enough, then. I then try to raise the seat.....go back to step one and repeat. I am 6ft 190lbs. I am using a small pillow that helps a little. I had no problem on the test drive. It took a few days.

By drivefun
on 01/25/13 23:40 PM (PST)

Can you describe how the seat is uncomfortable to you? How heavy and tall are you? I've driven an EX a couple of weeks back, and I had the opposite experience. I get the feeling it maybe in the LX trim... ? More detail will help readers understand if there is a real issue. "Uncomfortable" is pretty general.

By derekleeo
on 02/02/13 18:20 PM (PST)

I ended up taking the loss and trading it in for an Accord.

By derekleeo
on 01/28/13 05:01 AM (PST)

I have never had this problem with any other car and I drive a UPS truck all day ( not the most comfortable vehicle).

By derekleeo
on 02/08/13 05:10 AM (PST)

I really wanted the 5spd and had no problem on the test drive. I went the cheaper route and paid for it. Everything else about that car was great. They did a great job upgrading the interor, the car was fun to drive, good mpg. The Accord is a much better fit for me.

By zclyh3
on 02/05/13 18:43 PM (PST)

Wow you traded it in so fast? And I was interested in a 2013 Civic LX 5SPD MT too. Is there a reason you didn't test drive the car enough to feel the difference in the seats?

By mhnortheast
on 03/17/13 20:00 PM (PDT)

I find the 2013 LX Civic to be quite comfortable and, with the 5 speed manual, is quite fun to drive. It was bought as a backup car but is getting a lot of road time. Honda must have tested the comfort of the lx interior quite extensively.

By beachbum78
on 08/21/14 17:20 PM (PDT)

I have the 2014 Civic LX (one month now) and it also has thee most uncomfortable seats! Didn't notice it on my short test drive, but with even minimal driving my back is getting worse each day. I don't have another car to drive right now. Have tried all the various seat adjustments to no avail. Tried a lumbar cushion and towels and still no relief. My last attempt will be an orthopedic cushion I have on order. I'm 5'-4" and not overweight. My husband's back went out after one 30 minute drive (5'-10", 200 lb), and my 12 yr old niece (70 lbs) complains of back pain after sitting in the car 30+ minutes. I am one month into a 3-year lease. Honda Finance does not allow any lease transfers like many other companies do, or I would've posted it on leasetrader or swapalease. I never had an issue like this with the many cars I've bought in the past. The dealer said they could take it back on a trade and that I would lose $3000 on it! (I'm not going that route.) I'll post the rest of my review under the 2014 Civic, but wanted to make it known that this problem is REAL and Honda is aware of it -- yet they don't correct it. This was my 3rd Honda and I will not take a chance on another one.