Great car for what it is; however......
By nojo317 on
2013 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
There are some issues that make this not a 5-star car (for me). I purchased a new Civic EX-L in August 2013 after having driven a Mazda Tribute for 12 years. I admit to it being a huge change and adjustment. I have about 3,500 miles on it as of the date of this review. My main complaint is how it drives in wet/snowy conditions. It seems to have issues gripping the road, and even with just a dusting of snow on the road it spins it's tires when trying to move from a stopped position (no, I don't drive like Mario Andretti.) I have 30+ years experience driving in the snow and do not feel confident in this car's ability to navigate the roads during a midwest winter.
Favorite Features
PROS: Bluetooth with most smart phones, streams Pandora, gas mileage is decent, safety features are awesome, heated seats - love love love! Stereo has decent sound (no Bose sound here, but I find it's more than sufficient!), moon roof works great, and I like the extendable arm rest. the fold-down arm rest with cup holders in the back seat is a winner with my two kids. It's fun to drive when weather is decent.
Suggested Improvements
CONS: 1) Annoying steering wheel - you can't put your hands at 3/6/9 o'clock positions because of design. I can never find a comfy position. 2.) Drives terrible in wet/snowy conditions. 3.) Rear window nearly impossible to clean due to brake light in way/front window so big you need gorilla arms to reach all of it. 4.) Instant Fuel Economy Gauge is useless. Replace with a tachometer. 5.) No rear air vents 6.) Top 4-5 rows in rear window are antenna, not rear defog. Need those rows for rear defog - and defog should have it's own button separate from mirror heaters. 7.) Placement of seat-belt buckle is too far back. Belt does not rest across ctr of chest. 8.) No power seats.
By in_cognito
on 01/09/14 13:20 PM (PST)

I've gotta agree with you on most of the more minor points you've brought up - a lot of them are small details which might go unnoticed by themselves, but do add up to knocking off, in my mind, about a half star. I can't agree on the snow handling, however - I live in Maine and I've found it handles ice and snow much better than my last vehicle. Maybe it's a matter of relativity: You came from driving a Mazda Tribute, a heavier vehicle; I came from a Chevy Aveo, a smaller and lighter vehicle than even the Civic! I've found for what it is (a compact car), the Civic handles winter driving quite well. Other than that (and the steering wheel - I just lowered and telescoped it all the way out and ride with my hands on my knees at 5 and 7 o'clock), I agree with the review completely. Some silly design choices were made that interfere with an otherwise 5-star car.

By nojo317
on 01/16/14 18:09 PM (PST)

Initially I thought I was being too hard on the Civic in the first couple snowfalls. Afterall, I did have 4x4 for 12 years, and yes, the Tribute was a very heavy vehicle (which I would still be driving if it hadn't gotten more expensive to maintain than a new car payment!) However the car I drove before the Tribute was a Saturn SC1 (manual), and it struggled in big snowfalls, an inch or two didn't phase it. Not sure what the issue is driving the Civic in snow - vehicle stability assist is on all the time. I've tried turning off the econ button, thinking that maybe the car needed all the power it has to get through the snow, but it didn't result in a noticeable difference. Just going to be "one of those things" I need to deal with for a while. I tend to hold on to my cars till they're ready to drop dead. :-)

By reese1968
on 03/09/14 09:14 AM (PDT)

What's your impression of the Civic on the highway? Does it handle 70 mph easily? Is the cabin very noisy at those speeds? I'm looking to retire my 20013 jetta turbo (180 hp) for another compact car with better fuel economy. The 2014 Civic CVT is top on my list. I mostly drive in the city but I'm also concerned about highway performance and cabin noise when I take it ti the burns or on road trips. Any feedback is appreciateD

By kevinno
on 01/28/14 19:18 PM (PST)

Tires.