Great car but test out the seat first
By rick4924 on
2013 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
I got my Honda Civic EX about a month ago. The car is amazingly quiet and handles very well around town and out on the highway - very stable at highway speeds. The electronics are very easy to use and have sharp, bright graphics that make them a pleasure to use. The Bluetooth system easily synced with my iPhone 4s. The back up camera is great! The only negative is the driver's seat. I am 6-0, 180 lbs and it was extremely difficult to find a comfortable driving position. The front of the seat cushion puts pressure on my legs and is very uncomfortable. Pay attention to the seat feel when you test drive it.
Favorite Features
Styling, quiet road manners, great gas mileage, easy to use electronics, decent stereo, moon roof, backup camera, automatic climate control, reputation for long term reliability
Suggested Improvements
Depending on your body dimensions, the seat is not comfortable for certain people. I think a power seat should be standard on EX levels and above - that would eliminate the problem I am having if I was able to adjust the seats angle.
By rick4924
on 04/07/14 12:20 PM (PDT)

...just an update. I have had my Civic for about a month now and the seat is just unbearable since I spend so much time in my car. I have tried various seat cushions and support devices but they don't work for long. I am now working with my dealer on a way to trade to an Accord. It is a shame because otherwise this is a great car in all other ways - very quite on the road, handles well, nice stereo, good ergonomics, great MPG...but when the seat hurts to ride in, its a deal breaker...TAKE TIME TO TEST THE SEAT COMFORT BEFORE YOU BUY THIS CAR!!

By rick4924
on 04/15/14 06:27 AM (PDT)

...Update #2 - I tested an Accord for a weekend long test drive and found the seat a tad more comfortable but the driving experience of the Accord was not at all to my liking. My Civic is quieter and handles better than the Accord! The Accord feels like it has cardboard underneath every time you hit any bump - the Civic rides better. If only it had a comfortable seat, I'd be totally happy! Been to a Chiropractor and he says the seat with its aggressively tilted headrest forces you to sit in an awkward position causing neck pain and headaches which I am having constantly - may have to trade on something other than a Honda because of seat issues - so sad.

By rick4924
on 04/28/14 04:24 AM (PDT)

Glad you found a solution! Funny, I also hesitate to post here what I did to fix the headrest issue - I put a board on it covered with a towel to protect the finish and upholstery on the headrest, then put it on the garage floor and ran over it with my car! It actually bent the rods just enough to angle the headrest just right - now, the seat is very comfortable and I actually enjoy driving my car!! Amazing what a small solution can do! I also did order a very thin bamboo seat cushion just to give a little extra cushion on the seat bottom without raising my height - it worked perfect! thanks for sharing!

By gene2
on 04/25/14 18:50 PM (PDT)

I too own a 2013 civic ex-l. 10,000 miles on it. I have the same seat and head restraint issue you have. I finally found the proper size pillow to solve my lower back pain discomfort. Routinely drive an hour to work with no discomfort. I hesitate to tell you how I fixed the head restraint angle because my 'solution' might have weakened the head restraint, reducing its effectiveness in a rear end collision. Here goes - I removed my head restraint, put it in a bench vise, and then hammered the snot out of the metal prongs with a rubber mallet to reduce the angle. Primitive? Yes. Stupid? Possibly. Unsafe? Also possibly. What I DO know is I now have a car that is SAFER to drive because I'm not constantly distracted by the head restraint hitting the back of my head or by miserable back pain.

By bricknord
on 05/24/14 14:04 PM (PDT)

All new cars are going down this road ( aggressively angled headrests ) in an effort to meet exceedingly tight crash test regs. Crash test dummy head movement is one of the things monitored in crash tests...check out the IIHS website. The thing to do if this bothers you, as others have opined, is bend the headrest prongs a little bit using a vice. Start small, bend just a tad, increase if you need to. Several trends are going on in car design that are annoying but are driven by the quest for higher safety ratings that the marketing department then uses to sell cars. Headrests angled too far forward is one. Another is high beltlines in many new cars. Driving a modern day car is increasingly like sitting in a Pillbox on the beaches of Normandy with a tiny slit of a window and the top of the door being about at your shoulder. It sucks, but most companies going that route. Thank goodness the Civic at least keeps the low beltline for now.