Exactly the car I wanted
By fronteeer on
2013 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
When I bought my 2011 Civic, I'd test driven the 2012 and loved the way it drove but hated how cheap, plain and conservative the car had become, focusing on fuel economy above all else. So I bought the 2011 even though I found the transmission to be really unforgiving, because it was a much better made and more attractive car. The 2013 I just bought is a perfect compromise. Great transmission, sufficient power, excellent fuel economy, superb interior and exterior styling and quality. I don't like the seat fabric much, but the nylon mesh and faux suede seats in my 2011 were uncommonly high-end for this class of car. The 2013 Civic is a sincere apology for the poorly-executed 2012.
Favorite Features
Honda fixed the bucking bronco clutch (yay) and gave the car some sporty appeal. The highly detailed interior is a perfect blend of sporty and sophisticated. Looking closely at the stitching on the dash and doors, it looks real but I don't want to muck with it. Nice wheels, useful Bluetooth with streaming, the hands-free speakerphone works well and the seats are comfortable and supportive. I love the sunroof and auto-off headlights (this feature is wayyyy overdue). Honda moved the handbrake so your knee isn't resting on it all the time (ouch).
Suggested Improvements
Cup holders on the 2011 were better placed, the sliding cup holder cover was a great way to hide the coffee spillage, and it's GONE. The change holder is also GONE. Where the heck do I put coins? The other big storage tray is lined with rubber so you couldn't pick up a coin in there if your life depended on it. The automatic climate control is voodoo. It runs the fan on its lowest setting in auto mode, so if you want more air, you have to override the auto climate control. Then, the numbers, which are supposed to represent temperature (degrees) in auto mode, become ambiguous references to some heat output level that doesn't represent temperature but still appears to.