Ford Focus may have the hatchback, but Civic has overall better value
By drivefun on
2013 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
I test driven the 2013's Elantra GT, Mazda CX-5, Focus SE hatchback (hb) and Civic Ex. It finally came down to the wire between the Focus and Civic.... I thought over the need of a hb, and seemed compelling at first, I don't recall needing to haul a lot of stuff last several years, and if I did I rented a van a couple of times from Home Depot. Next, the hb looks nice, but reduces the rear viewing area. Overall, I felt the Civic has improved significantly. MPG, long term cost of ownership, features and styling matters to me. The 2013 Civic nails them in pretty well. I'm giving it a 4 star on value, since it now cost a little more after Ford's recent $2,500 factory incentive.
Favorite Features
- Much quieter ride and improved handeling - High MPGs - High level of detailing - Moonroof - Available black interior - Proven engineering and reliability leading to lower cost of long term ownership and maintenance.
Suggested Improvements
Add: - Touch button start - Direct fuel injection - Blind spot indicator (e.g. like Mazda CX-5 Touring has) - Manual shift in automatic Remove: - Land departure feature and put the money in adding some or all of the items above.
By cisbrane
on 05/03/13 10:48 AM (PDT)

I looked at exactly the same vehicles and ended up with the Civic EX as well! I had very similar reasons for choosing my Civic too :-)