2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2013 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

Honda Civic?? (2013 DX)
By jonpipe

2013 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car is driven in northern Ontario.Mileage city 33.8 mpg US, Mileage hwy (60mph) 1.5mpg City mpg is better than the sticker claim but hwy is much less. The wind blows this car off clear off the highway. The front pillars are so thick you can hardly see around them (creates more blind spots). The rear brakes are seized by the minute with snow and ice. The car will not back up in 1" of snow on a slight slope. The wiper design and front windshield/pillars are insane. All this all does is create problems with rain/snow/visibility. The traction control is useless, it basically stops the wheels from turning completely. Not exactly peppy.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage in the city is o.K. (but definitely not great). The ride quality is o.k. (solid feel, definitely not a Cadillac!)

Suggested Improvements

The car blows around on the HWY too much, the 2009 model was 10 times better (same mileage). The rear brakes freeze on with snow and ice (09' does not have this problem). The front pillars are too thick, must be thinner. The wiper design is ridicules, the right wiper (26") brakes off daily and does not clear the windshield. There was nothing wrong with old design (wipers moving in the same direction). What's the deal with having the windshield mounted 2" behind the front pillars. The windshield should be mounted flush to the front of the pillars. Car requires real Brakes made out of new material not recycled...

Gets better...
By rick4924

2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have had my 2013 Civic EX Sedan now for over 6 months. I initially had trouble getting comfortable in the seat but now that I have adjusted the horribly forward-tilted headrest and found a seat height and steering wheel adjustment that works for me, I find the car comfortable for my daily commute. Other than that, the car is flawless so far and has that "Honda Feel" behind the wheel that only a Honda can provide in my experience - like its connected to you in someway and always seems to know what you want to do!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and good handling in the city and out on the highway. Smooth, quiet ride, decent acceleration for a small car (sometimes it feels strained), great MPG, handles very well and is fun to drive. It has a decent stereo with the 6-speaker system in the EX. The connectivity is great with all music and phone options you need. The information screen is easy to use and provides good information about MPG, maintenance and stereo functions. Solid build quality with no rattles so far. Back seat is decent for a small car but you won't want to ride back there on a long trip most likely. Trunk space is good.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration feels weak at times. I think once they migrate the new generation direct-injection Earth Dreams technology into the Civic, the acceleration will improve if the Accord is any indication of what the new engine will be like. The acceleration is not bad in this Civic but sometimes if feels a bit strained when you want more power (A/C saps power big time!) so just a tad more power and torque would be appreciated - the Earth Dreams power train will surely provide this in future Civics - but for a daily commuter this Civic is great and when you push it, it will perform even when merging or passing if you get the the V-Tech in the sweet spot above 5,000 RPM's.

Not bad, not great.
By jackshelby

2013 Honda Civic Sedan LX PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Overall the car has performed its purpose and I am satisfied. There are a few things I am disappointed with, first being the paint. The car is black on black, and have had it almost 10 months and put on over 20,000 miles. The car looks like it has been through a sandblaster. My old car, a 1998 Honda civic, is in about the same condition but it took 14yrs of wear to get in that condition. Its pretty disappointing to have a car less than a year old look this bad. Second, the mileage is mediocre. Average 31 mpg highway, although I don't ever drive city so I don't know if it would stay the same or get worse. In Hondas defense, the highway speed is usually 75-80mph so that doesn't help.

Favorite Features

The period between oil changes is about 9,000 miles, which is nice. Cuts my changes by a third and much more convenient for my schedule. Nothing has broken, which is also nice. I like the handling and decent amount of power for what it is.

Suggested Improvements

better quality paint; brake pads needed to be changed after only 20,000 miles; Disappointed in remote starter(very bulky, makes you shut off car before you can get in so you immediately have to restart, should be incorporated with ignition key); mileage good, not great; ECO button seems to just make car not accelerate so I end up pressing gas pedal harder; CVT transmission can be odd

Not what hoped for from a Honda
By thintz

2013 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought new for daughter. FIRST ONE- Had to pull transmission at 162 miles. Gave me a new one and many small items. Scratch in dash. Dimples on back side of steering wheel, right where you grab the wheel to turn it ( looks like poor molding/manufacturing). Have never had the day(s)where I was like...love the car due to too many items. Wish had cash back.

Favorite Features

Nice design for a high MPG car

Suggested Improvements

Build quality especially interior with rough edges and scratches. Not careful assembly is shown

An Update to my 1st Review
By jessbarnett85

2013 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2013 Honda Civic LX with a little over 10,000 miles on it now. Let me tell you, my average full economy in South Florida heat with use of Eco mode most of the time, is averaging between 30-31 per each tank. If I drive on long highway trips around 65pmg with ECO mode on, it averages around 44mpg, which is excellent! The only thing I don't like about ECO mode is that it is embarassingly slow off the line. While the A/C is slightly effected while in this mode, it doesn't seem weak, even with 89 degrees outside. It's a great car for the money. I wouldn't have done it any other way, just wish I had springed for the EX.

Favorite Features

Blue-Tooth, Backup camera, USB input, gas mileage, interior quality, realibility, A/C system, power options.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest and possibly the most important safety feature, the brakes- they need to be improved grately. I know, the LX model comes with 2 disc and 2 drums in the rear, but the Mazda 3 comes standard with 4 wheel disc brakes. I've had too many close calls with this car and I don't feel confident with the braking what's so ever. 4 wheel disc brakes should be refined. Also, I've noticed rattling in either the right door/glove compartment/or airbag area that I will get checked out next time at the dealer. Heated mirrors would be nice because when I get dew on them in the mornings. Lastly, the seats, they stain to easily. I heard they fixed this problem in the 2014 LX. Automatic head lights.

Awesome car, Honda san
By disbelief3

2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I love my 13 Civic EX Sedan. Alabaster Silver/Black Cloth. Mudguards. Shopping bag hooks. I have been really impressed as have family and friends. I am glad I didn't get the leather seats, which take longer to cool than black cloth, and I love everything about this car. As the satisfied owner of a 5-speed 1989 Civic DX Hatchback, an automatic 03 Corolla CE, and a 2009 Corolla XLE, all I can say is, Wow. 22,000 miles and loving it.

Favorite Features

E v e r y t h i n g

Great car but test out the seat first
By rick4924

2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I got my Honda Civic EX about a month ago. The car is amazingly quiet and handles very well around town and out on the highway - very stable at highway speeds. The electronics are very easy to use and have sharp, bright graphics that make them a pleasure to use. The Bluetooth system easily synced with my iPhone 4s. The back up camera is great! The only negative is the driver's seat. I am 6-0, 180 lbs and it was extremely difficult to find a comfortable driving position. The front of the seat cushion puts pressure on my legs and is very uncomfortable. Pay attention to the seat feel when you test drive it.

Favorite Features

Styling, quiet road manners, great gas mileage, easy to use electronics, decent stereo, moon roof, backup camera, automatic climate control, reputation for long term reliability

Suggested Improvements

Depending on your body dimensions, the seat is not comfortable for certain people. I think a power seat should be standard on EX levels and above - that would eliminate the problem I am having if I was able to adjust the seats angle.

Love the interior and exterior
By mbell144

2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have never had a Honda Civic. I have and still have a 2004 Honda Accord EX which I gave to my daughter for college. So far I have been totally impressed with this car except for the pick up power. I have noticed the hesidancy in take off especially if you are on I-75 trying to go around a slow driver. Going uphill it loses speed if you are not in cruise control. When I test drove it, wish I had taken it on I-75. I am hoping like the 4 cylinder Camri that I had, this Honda will surprise me when I obtain more mileage on the car and have better pick up. Anyway I love the gas mileage!

Favorite Features

I love the radio, speakers, bluetooth, the design and ease of the layout of the interior. I really love the way it handles. The sleek, sporty exterior with sporty wheels just really appeals to me also.

Suggested Improvements

power pick up..fuel injected with more power in a clinch!

so confused
By white_tea

2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The Honda product is generally, well, you know, hard to beat, right? I own this car now. I am so very disappointed. If they could remake the 1997 Honda Civic EX 5-speed with the Exact same materials they used back in 1997, that would make me very happy. Keep dreaming, right? I Miss the Old Cruise Control. The 2013 is OK, but the 1997 Cruise Control I liked much better. I Miss the Old Moon Roof on the 1997. This 2013 is not superior at all. The 1997 Moon Roof was superior because I could control the width and the placement of it was absolutely PERFECT. Not so on 2013 model. It's like I don't even have a moon roof, really.....

Favorite Features

I like the comfort of that blinker that is temporary. Very smart... very smart.

Suggested Improvements

I loathe automatic lights! I don't want them on all the time. Cannot get over the view on my Passenger side.... having a very hard time driving because All the Cars Are Driving Into Me on my passenger side. that really bothers me. I do not like the wipers that automaticlly wipe. I want to control them when I need the water.

Love my EXL
By daytonamichael

2013 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I had a 2007 CRV EX with leather, it had 111,00 miles on it and the extedned warrany was up. My salesmen was in the service department I had ot leave the CRV overnight for a warranty repair. He called me the next day with a great deal and I could not pass it up at all. Its a 2013 Civic EXL brand new it was a left over from the model year.

Favorite Features

My favorite are the backup camera, two tier display unit, handsfree bluetooth. Heated leather seats indeed. I am also getting over 32 mpg. Love the ecno button.

Suggested Improvements

There is nothing I would not change about this car I love it in black with the fog lights, and the painted wheels.