2012 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Not your son's Si

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Si Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/Nav)

Not your son's Si
By jsevier14 on

2012 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/Nav (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Having driven an Acura RSX-S for 11 years I expected a lot from my new ride. In the end, I like the 2012 Civic Si, but ultimately it doesn't feel quite complete. The TSX engine and transmission are definitely improvements, and the fuel efficiency is pretty amazing for a performance vehicle. The electronics package is adequate, but the rest of the interior is cheap and frustrating. Compared to previous Si's, the 2012 is way less juvenile, and delivers a fun smooth ride for my long daily commute.

Favorite Features

The Si provides a smooth ride and plenty of get up and run. Most of us aren't going to race these cars, so what matters most is how it performs in the daily grind. Being able to sprint onto the highway and run away from potential traffic hazards are key, and the Si definitely delivers this performance. The seats are reasonably comfy. The transmission is nice and smooth like the ride itself. While the car doesn't rev and scream like it's predecessors, it still has plenty of kick and delivers power more consistently through the gears. The toys are nice too, with a pinpoint accurate navigation system that integrates XM, a CD player, and Bluetooth. The iMid display is fun and functional.

Suggested Improvements

The electronics save the interior from being a joke, except for the dated navigation interface. I actually like the two-tier tach/digital speedometer combination, but the dash and console materials are flat out awful and cheapen the overall feel of the car. In my particular case they do all not fit together properly. The cup-holder between the seats is too shallow and loose to secure a 20-ounce bottle of water, and the gear box sits in front of dead space that makes me wonder what the designers were thinking should go there. While access to a DC port and Audio Aux In are located here, they're impossible to find after dark without the ambient light package that is as yet unavailable.