Lowest cost per mile, lowest carbon foot print outside of an EV.
By genegenre on
2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
The car is quiet, comfortable, lots of leg and rear seat leg room. Trunk is shallow but tall and will fit two small suit cases. Very areodynamic and does well in strong cross winds, is light weight (2848lbs. for the CNG) yet steering is a little heavy but not that bad! Few minor quirks; the radio volume isn't loud enough to hear clearly (on max) when playing classical music, miles 'til zero range indicator fluctuates and settles esp the first half tank, trunk squeaks, car sputters when you first start it and hesitates when initially pressing the gas. As well it frequently acts like it's in neutral when you come to a stop so will roll backwards slightly on a hill. No coolant temp guage!
Favorite Features
Gear box is a little clunky; when going up a steep hill it will jerk a little as you down shift into third at 60mph. Power (110hp remember) is adequate but not at all sporty. Head rest adjusts up and down but not back. I am 6' and with it all the way up, my head is still pushed forward and down slightly. Better for some one shorter. I have to lean the seat back a ways to be comfortable with this annoyance though the telescope steering makes up the difference. I do drive ten hours a day M-F (job) and I am not even slightly sore at the end of the day so I'm really being nit picky here. You cannot compare to $2 a gallon equivilant fuel at 45mpg (75%hwy)
Suggested Improvements
For the same money you could buy a Prius but it would cost you 55% more per mile in fuel and produces a lot more carbon! While the 2013 Civics are a little nicer (so I hear), I would buy the 2012 on clearance before they dissappear! That's what I did and I'm very pleased.