Good Car With Some Notable Exceptions
By terrainorg on
2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
I've driven Hondas for a long time now, so had high expectations with my Civic EX sedan. Unfortunately, I find the new Civic pretty underwhelming, based primarily on two factors: 1) Road noise, caused by a cardboard-thin floorboard. It's not wind noise but rather noise coming up from underneath; loudest sedan I've ever driven in that respect. 2) I'm 6'5", and had no problem with comfort on the test drive. But after several weeks I still cannot find a comfort zone with the seat (headroom is fine). That could easily be solved by an electronic seat, which the Civic EX (like the Accord) should offer. There are lots of things I really like, but if I had to do it all over, I'd get another car.
Favorite Features
MID (multi-information display) is awesome, as is the overall dash layout. Ergonomically, the Civic is great; stereo, AC/heat, and steering wheel controls are well-placed and intuitive. I like the curve of the dash toward the driver. Though Edmunds.com and other reviews lament the electronic-assist steering, I think it feels pretty good and even helps with the "fun" factor. I like the Econ button feature, and the visual elements of the digital dash (related to MPG and otherwise). The dual-level dash works really well for me. Visibility is great, and in non-Eco mode the car is reasonably peppy, at least with no more than two people in the car. With four it really bogs down. Love the exterior.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the road noise issue; it is significant. An electronic seat should be standard on the EX. These two issues are deal-breakers for me now having had the car for a while. I'd prefer a darker interior (I have stone, with taffeta white exterior), as the light materials easily get dirty. Like others, I'd prefer a six-speed AT with a bit more pep, but I'm willing to trade that for the excellent gas mileage (I'm averaging 32 MPG in mostly city driving). Interior materials do feel a bit cheap -- all that hard plastic, even if it is rice papery in design, which is kind of nifty. Center armrest should slide forward, and rear center armrest should be a bit higher. Add sunglass holder up top.
By terrainorg
on 06/14/12 22:01 PM (PDT)

An update now that we have about 3000 miles on the Civic: at night the reflection from the iMID display reflects onto the windshield enough to be noticeable and therefore annoying. Be sure to test drive at night with no or few street lights to see this. I also find the ride to be a bit choppy. So I traded the car to my 5'1" wife and she loves it! She finds it very comfy and says I'm too critical. Perhaps. I am much more comfortable and the ride is lots quieter in our 03 Accord...