2012 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Best in Class

2012 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Review

Best in Class
By kerpalsingh on

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I needed a reliable commuter car. I looked at the Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra, VW Jetta and Mazda 6. The Civic's handling is just as good as the Mazda 3 and the LX has way better standard features. I've driven almost 1000 miles and have very few complaints. I drive about 60 miles a day (mixed) and with the 'Econ' feature off I get about 36 mpg, when it's on I get about 38mpg. The handling and build quality of the car are outstanding. The seats could be more comfortable and the standard speakers have muddy mids and highs, but good bass. I paid almost $1000 less than INVOICE so that was a huge factor in me getting the Civic. I have no complaints about road noise but the engine can get loud.

Favorite Features

The handling is great and I love the LCD screen that displays maintenance information and radio info. The USB port is great for plugging any hard drive based device into to get music that you can browse from the LCD screen. Steering wheel radio buttons are cool.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior is pretty ugly compared to other cars in its class and even compared to previous civics. There's a perfect looking Civic coupe that came out in the past few years that I think looked great but the exterior styling on the 2012's is pretty bland. I wish the car had slightly better speakers and the seats aren't that comfortable. There's no way to open the trunk other than from the keypad or the drivers seat lever. The steering wheel controls don't give you the same control over browsing USB devices that the main radio controls do, when they easily could. It would have been nice to have a standard compass, and other useful info built into the LCD screen. Engine could be quieter too.