2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Confortable Ride but dull engine
By marc_bar on 08/06/12 18:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've been looking at a compact sedan to replace my Mazda 3 hatchback. My list is down to Hyundai Elantra and Honda Civic Sedan EX. I test drove a Civic today and the engine is very dull, no fun at all particularly for someone used to the peppy Mazda3 160 hp.

From 2010 Mazda CX-7 to 2012 Civic EX-L
By jenashley86 on 07/25/12 21:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

My Mazda CX-7 had to go. It was requiring Premium fuel and only got on average 17mpg. I looked at a couple of other sedans, but I knew the Honda would be the best decision for me because of resale value and reliability. I got the Honda Civic Sedan EX-L and love it more and more every time that I drive it. The leather seats are extremely comfortable. The options available on the MID screen are incredible (set how you want your doors to auto-lock, set Trip A to reset when you fill up fuel, etc.). It took only $37 to fill up the tank the other day (it would have been $60 in the Mazda), I knew that I had made the right decision.

Lesser of the evils
By dannerd on 07/07/12 06:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I based my car buying decision on my experience with owning an assortment of different beaters, and that this time I was going to buy something new. Out of all the beaters I've owned, Hondas always got the best gas mileage, were the cheapest to fix, were easy to sell. If you read the bashing reviews for the 2012 civic, you'll notice the gripes are mostly about the cheap interior plastic and road noise. If you compare the reviews to other competitors like the 2012 focus or elantra, they are having serious issues involving the transmission, and check engine lights coming on recent to the purchase of the vehicle. That should tell you something. No car is perfect, but Honda seems to get close.

Best in Class!
By kaneohe00 on 07/04/12 18:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I test drove a hyundai elantra, a corolla and corolla S before I drove the Honda. Didn't bother with Ford, Nissan or Kia because I wanted a car that would last for a long time without a doubt. The Hyundai drove well and had a lot of extras but based of past performance and current reviews I felt like they were trying to sell you with extras versus a solid performer. So it came down to the corolla and civic. The civic drove better, had a more attractive and functional interior and I felt Honda put a lot of effort into the design of the civic while it seemed Toyota hasn't done anything to improve the Corolla since 1985. It reminded me of the Tercel my mom had when I was 10 years old.

Good Car With Some Notable Exceptions
By terrainorg on 06/13/12 22:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've driven Hondas for a long time now, so had high expectations with my Civic EX sedan. Unfortunately, I find the new Civic pretty underwhelming, based primarily on two factors: 1) Road noise, caused by a cardboard-thin floorboard. It's not wind noise but rather noise coming up from underneath; loudest sedan I've ever driven in that respect. 2) I'm 6'5", and had no problem with comfort on the test drive. But after several weeks I still cannot find a comfort zone with the seat (headroom is fine). That could easily be solved by an electronic seat, which the Civic EX (like the Accord) should offer. There are lots of things I really like, but if I had to do it all over, I'd get another car.

Great purchase
By soleil575 on 06/12/12 08:56 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I am very happy that I purchased this EXL Civic. I'm enjoying the leather seats, moon roof, navigation, etc. The car is delightful to drive in the city and on the highway and it has more than enough pep for my needs (particularly when econ mode is off, but I usually keep it on to enhance fuel economy). I love the i-mid screen - it's convenient to glance at the upper-level screen while driving. The tech is user-friendly and the voice commands are effective and quite intuitive.

A great little car!
By papalogan on 06/09/12 06:34 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is our 4th Honda (previously had an Accord, CR-V, and Pilot). We bought this EX-L to use mainly as a commuter car for me. We've had it about 2 months now, and I've already got just over 3K miles on it. Gas mileage has been great, it's comfortable, and wind noise is minimal. I know it's considered a "compact" car, but it feels anything but compact. In fact, it feels about the same size as our '90 Accord! Overall, we're very pleased with our purchase.

New 2012! Fun! Fun! Fun!
By aubiekong on 06/08/12 08:17 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car new because it felt like a qaulity product from Honda. The MPG is Fantastic. The instant display bar with MPG makes driving the car a fun "game" to maximize your mileage per gallon. Driving in mostly stop and go traffic I am averaging over 33 miles per gallon! It takes a very light foot but the instant display gives you the feed back to learn to drive with a very light foot on the gas peddle. Well done Honda!

20.000 miles in 11 months
By erik25 on 06/02/12 08:06 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Still going strong and no issue's,would be bad just after 20k. See the car much more on the road then when it came out. I think people want a relaible commuter and cheap on gas. I'ts only a shame that in a few months a redesigned one comes out........hope this time they do it right and give it six gears with an overdrive.But this one has to make at least 100.000 miles before i even think of something else,and that will be no problem for this car.......

Nice Car but Having Some Mechanical and Mileage Issues
By happykt1 on 05/20/12 04:43 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I like my car even though it looks like a 10 year old fuddy duddy Toyota Camry from the rear. With the Eco Assist on, the acceleration is very mediocre on this car. I also haven't gotten over 30 mpg because of stop and go traffic on the freeways in Austin Tx, which is a huge disappointment to me. I expected better especially since I keep the car in the green zone according to the Eco Indicator quite often. The first month I had the car, it stalled out twice and I was going to take it in but the problem went away. However, four months later in 90 degree heat, the car is once again stalling out, especially in the morning. I only have 5.4 K on the car and drive 22 miles a day to and from work.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Civic in VA is:

$146 per month*