Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love my Civic Si
By buckeye99

2012 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/Nav (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

This Honda is a great car. The 2.4l iVTEC is an absolute BLAST to drive. The 6spd manual transmission is fantastic. While not the fastest car in this price range, I believe it's the best all-around vehicle in its class when considering price, gas mileage, reliability, 4 door practicality, and performance. I live in the midwest and weather is not always ideal. With the FWD, the car works very well as a daily driver. The new 2.4l engine offers plenty of torque and power for a vehicle in this class, but with the limited slip and stability control, torque steer is almost non-existent. In spirited mixed driving, I've averaged 28MPG. In highway driving, it's easy to get over the rated 31MPG

Favorite Features

- Fun to drive - Fun to drive - Fun to drive - Gas mileage - Reliable (after all, it's a Honda) - Split dash makes it easy for driver to focus on the road - iMid display is a useful and fun - Navigation System is nice and integrates well with iMid display - Engine is well tuned and has a great sound - Limited Slip Differential and FWD makes for good driving in adverse conditions - 4-door option - 360Watt factory stereo quality is excellent (even my teenage son thinks so!) - Bluetooth, accessory, and USB audio interface - iVTEC light on split dash is useful when pushing the engine to it's limits - Plenty of torque & HP. From the driver's seat, the car feels every bit as fast as my '04 WRX.

Suggested Improvements

I'm really nit picking, but here are some things Honda could improve: - The materials used in the dashboard could be of higher quality - Seat bottoms sometimes feel too narrow - Auto-dimming mirror, heated mirrors, integrated garage door opener, and backup camera would be nice offerings - The car's RPMs are designed to hang a little when shifting gears...takes some getting used to - I wish the factory radio would display the current artist/song title like my Chevy does - Remote starter option would be nice for those cold winter days - There is some lag switching between albums, when using the USB stick - Navigation voice interface could be expanded to recognize more commands

So far so good
By montrealcivic

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving a Civic for years. This is my third consecutive new Civic. Previous models were the 98 and 05. Unfortunately this model has impressed me less than the 05. I am 5 foot 11 and often hit my head getting out of the car. They seem to have decreased the cavity opening by 1-2 inches. The carpeting is not really carpet - more akin to a dish scrub brush. This was easily fixed by adding the rubber mats with the protection package. The dash is one huge mass of not so pretty plastic. The plastic on the prior models at least resembled the texture of leather. I find visibility reduced with the long window frame pillars. The good points help reduce the negatives however.

Favorite Features

Good points: stereo, bluetooth and USD port. Trunkspace is still respectable. Lots of airbags including the addition of side curtains. Traction control is excellent. Rear drums are a must in Canada and this is the main reason I continue to buy the Civic and not a higher level model. Clutch is smooth and there is very little engine noise in the cabin. Side mirrors are heated and huge - like that. Steering wheel controls are lovely. Exterior styling is acceptable but I find it not as appealing as the 2011 model - maybe I'll get used to it...

Suggested Improvements

Interior, interior, interior. I don't know what happened here. Fabric and carpet options are not pretty at all. Dash is huge and needs better finishing. Makes the car look cheap IMO. There is a wee bit of wind noise around the doors.

If you think this car is noisy...
By shannonb36

2012 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded in a 2009 Accent for a 2012 new, left over Civic. have put on 150 miles in 2 days and planning a road trip to test its mettle. Very impressed so far. Started with a 2012 Accent which was totaled. Went with the 09 on the assurance that it would give me 300,000 miles. What it gave me was 2K worth of repairs in one year. I haven't driven other cars in the Civic's class, but it handles and rides like a dream. Seating is very comfortable, back seat even in the coupe model is spacious. Engine is a quiet hum. Hoping that this will be my 300K mile vehicle.

Favorite Features

Running lights, wide tires, responsive steering, steering wheel controls, quite engine, fuel economy and anticipated performance in poor weather due to traction control.

Suggested Improvements

None yet.

Forget Consumer Reports
By subarubiker

2012 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The fact that Honda only made slight changes to the Coupe for 2013 shows the 2012 was a great car. I have a Dyno Blue Coupe EX with the 5-speed manual, absolutely stunning and sporty looking. This is my first manual car and I love it; it has a smooth-shifting stick and a very easy to modulate clutch that's a breeze in traffic. It gets great mileage on regular gas, getting 28mpg combined in winter temperatures with snow tires. The ride is a bit loud, but it handles very well and is a big upgrade over the past Civics with the handy i-Mid and the great 7-speaker sound system. Seats are very comfy! The only thing that lacks in the Civic is winter handling- winter tires transformed my Civic.

Favorite Features

Power and MPG balance, zippiness, manual transmission ease of use, surprisingly large trunk, comfortable seats, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics, OEM tires, winter handling

2nd review-crash result
By carlonz

2012 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I submitted a review previously, just after purchasing my new 12 civic. I thought I should submit another after recently totaling it. It was a great car, in fact I have replaced it with the same exact model and color. Whats important to know is that I was hit (t-boned) on the passenger side at about 35 mph. Side impact air bags went off and car spun 180 degrees. I walked away with only a bruise to my right foreman, no other bruisers, breaks or next day sorenss, with the driver and passenger seating areas fully intact. It's not often someone submits a review on safety in a real world incident. Above and beyond its strengths and weaknesses, this car is built for safety. Thank you Honda.