Used 2012 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

No odometer
By softailguy

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Civic LX in July 2012. It now has about 19,000 miles on it. It does well on gas but I think the fuel guage is inaccurate. It supposedly has a 13 gallon tank yet even when I'm on E and the range says 9 miles I am never able to put more than 10 gallons in it. And then today I left work and noticed I had no odometer display, no maintenance minder info, no fuel mpg info or range info. It just disappeared from the menu. So now I have no way of knowing what my mileage is or when to change my oil. This is my first Honda after driving Hyundai Elantras for 15 years. I should have stuck with Hyundai. Better car for less money.

Glass too thin. Carpet/floor liner is a joke. When you close your window it actually makes the inside door panel push out against you. Steering is skiddish...car always wanders.

Things I didn't think about FIRST
By schoolsh33

2012 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had 96 Civic & 98Accord. Bought 2012 Civic 4 door stick shift in May 2011. I've always loved stick for the pickup & gas mileage. Big problems with this car. 1) NO pickup at all. It's embarrassing at a light with even slight incline & people are on your butt & go around u because it takes forever to get up to speed. If AC is on forget it, u have to turn it off until u get to speed. 2) Visibility sucks. There is a thick separator where side mirrors are making window 2 sections creating major blind spots 3) My kids can't have back window down, it causes this vibrating wind sound that hurts your ears.
So, things I never thought about have made me unhappy with this car & I'm trading it in

I have no complaints on the appearance or the inside

See review

Don't buy a hybrid, get this car!
By brock69

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Driving from Cincinnati, OH to Gatlinburg, TN this past weekend we averaged 41 MPG while having the sunroof open fully and all the windows open about 2 inches. From there we continued through the App. Mountains to Greenville, SC and averaged 43 MPG with the AC running and we were not doing anything crazy like turning off the motor. I remember the sticker saying this car was rated at 39.
We averaged about 73 MPH the whole way in mild to medium traffic.
We bought this car with 9000 miles on it for $17,000 and have added 16,000 miles in 6 Months.
No expensive or dangerous batteries to mess with and we can turn the ECON button off whenever we want to get more juice.

Gas mileage Interior space Features and connectivity

Eliminate the double dash readout. The only real issue my wife and I have is that the double dash is hard to see due to it's position. She is 5'1" and the steering wheel blocks her view. I am 5'11" and the separation of the dashes puts a reflection on the windshield almost directly in front of my eyes day and night.

Overall, a happy owner...minus a few complaints.
By kruizer

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased our 2012 Civic LX Sedan in Dec. 2011 as a commuter car and have put about 17K miles on it. Like most have mentioned, the road noise is present and the sound system is not up to par.
My biggest complaint is the shifter/transmission (auto) tends to vibrate while accelerating quickly. Pulling out in traffic can be a bit dangerous too, if you forget the ECON button is on.

That being said, overall, my wife and I are very satisfied with our Civic.
The legroom is plentiful for this size car. The fuel economy is great (~32 in City). And the displays are very easily read.

Base features are good (USB/AUX, PWR everything except seats, digital speedometer) Fuel economy is very good. Leg room is great for this size car.

Better sound system for LX. Better performance for merging. Take care of the rattle in the shifter. Upgrade the carpet and sound-deadening matterials. USB is temperamental. Use wider tires for a smoother ride.

So far so good
By montrealcivic

2012 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving a Civic for years. This is my third consecutive new Civic. Previous models were the 98 and 05. Unfortunately this model has impressed me less than the 05. I am 5 foot 11 and often hit my head getting out of the car. They seem to have decreased the cavity opening by 1-2 inches. The carpeting is not really carpet - more akin to a dish scrub brush. This was easily fixed by adding the rubber mats with the protection package. The dash is one huge mass of not so pretty plastic. The plastic on the prior models at least resembled the texture of leather. I find visibility reduced with the long window frame pillars. The good points help reduce the negatives however.

Good points: stereo, bluetooth and USD port. Trunkspace is still respectable. Lots of airbags including the addition of side curtains. Traction control is excellent. Rear drums are a must in Canada and this is the main reason I continue to buy the Civic and not a higher level model. Clutch is smooth and there is very little engine noise in the cabin. Side mirrors are heated and huge - like that. Steering wheel controls are lovely. Exterior styling is acceptable but I find it not as appealing as the 2011 model - maybe I'll get used to it...

Interior, interior, interior. I don't know what happened here. Fabric and carpet options are not pretty at all. Dash is huge and needs better finishing. Makes the car look cheap IMO. There is a wee bit of wind noise around the doors.