Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Lesser of the evils
By dannerd

2012 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I based my car buying decision on my experience with owning an assortment of different beaters, and that this time I was going to buy something new. Out of all the beaters I've owned, Hondas always got the best gas mileage, were the cheapest to fix, were easy to sell. If you read the bashing reviews for the 2012 civic, you'll notice the gripes are mostly about the cheap interior plastic and road noise. If you compare the reviews to other competitors like the 2012 focus or elantra, they are having serious issues involving the transmission, and check engine lights coming on recent to the purchase of the vehicle. That should tell you something. No car is perfect, but Honda seems to get close.

Instant MPG meter. Handling/acceleration is fun.

Wish the Econ button made a bigger difference in gas mileage.

Best in Class!
By kaneohe00

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I test drove a hyundai elantra, a corolla and corolla S before I drove the Honda. Didn't bother with Ford, Nissan or Kia because I wanted a car that would last for a long time without a doubt. The Hyundai drove well and had a lot of extras but based of past performance and current reviews I felt like they were trying to sell you with extras versus a solid performer. So it came down to the corolla and civic. The civic drove better, had a more attractive and functional interior and I felt Honda put a lot of effort into the design of the civic while it seemed Toyota hasn't done anything to improve the Corolla since 1985. It reminded me of the Tercel my mom had when I was 10 years old.

Honda passes the solid door test, when I close the door it reminds me of the BMW I used to have. I traded a Tacoma for the Civic and the Civic seems like a quieter ride. Theres an ECO button that adjusts your RPMs to save gas. It feels like I'm riding on a cloud compared to the Tacoma. The dash is attractive. And last but not least MPG, MPG, MPG, the car's computer is telling me I'm getting 36 MPG, when I'm feeling unhappy I look at the MPG meter and all is right with the world. A lot of reviews I've read comment on no get up and go and lack of a thrill when driving. Whenever I read those type of reviews I think to myself "You bought a civic not a mustang". The car drives great!

You get what you pay for, and I think Honda gave you everything they could for the money. I don't think you could expect anything more without paying an Acura price. The only issue I have and it's because I'm old, is there's no lumbar support so if you have a bad back I'd keep that in mind. That being said I still wouldn't have bought a different car. Just FYI, the change holder is just a 2 in x 3 in slot left of the steering wheel, not a lot of room for spare change. I got a white car and if you have kids you might want to make them ride in the trunck because the interior is a light grey and it won't stay clean for long. I'm buying seat covers.

Good Car With Some Notable Exceptions
By terrainorg

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've driven Hondas for a long time now, so had high expectations with my Civic EX sedan. Unfortunately, I find the new Civic pretty underwhelming, based primarily on two factors: 1) Road noise, caused by a cardboard-thin floorboard. It's not wind noise but rather noise coming up from underneath; loudest sedan I've ever driven in that respect. 2) I'm 6'5", and had no problem with comfort on the test drive. But after several weeks I still cannot find a comfort zone with the seat (headroom is fine). That could easily be solved by an electronic seat, which the Civic EX (like the Accord) should offer. There are lots of things I really like, but if I had to do it all over, I'd get another car.

MID (multi-information display) is awesome, as is the overall dash layout. Ergonomically, the Civic is great; stereo, AC/heat, and steering wheel controls are well-placed and intuitive. I like the curve of the dash toward the driver. Though Edmunds.com and other reviews lament the electronic-assist steering, I think it feels pretty good and even helps with the "fun" factor. I like the Econ button feature, and the visual elements of the digital dash (related to MPG and otherwise). The dual-level dash works really well for me. Visibility is great, and in non-Eco mode the car is reasonably peppy, at least with no more than two people in the car. With four it really bogs down. Love the exterior.

Fix the road noise issue; it is significant. An electronic seat should be standard on the EX. These two issues are deal-breakers for me now having had the car for a while. I'd prefer a darker interior (I have stone, with taffeta white exterior), as the light materials easily get dirty. Like others, I'd prefer a six-speed AT with a bit more pep, but I'm willing to trade that for the excellent gas mileage (I'm averaging 32 MPG in mostly city driving). Interior materials do feel a bit cheap -- all that hard plastic, even if it is rice papery in design, which is kind of nifty. Center armrest should slide forward, and rear center armrest should be a bit higher. Add sunglass holder up top.

Great purchase
By soleil575

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I am very happy that I purchased this EXL Civic. I'm enjoying the leather seats, moon roof, navigation, etc. The car is delightful to drive in the city and on the highway and it has more than enough pep for my needs (particularly when econ mode is off, but I usually keep it on to enhance fuel economy). I love the i-mid screen - it's convenient to glance at the upper-level screen while driving. The tech is user-friendly and the voice commands are effective and quite intuitive.

Navigation, i-mid screen, econ button, comfortable seats

A great little car!
By papalogan

2012 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is our 4th Honda (previously had an Accord, CR-V, and Pilot). We bought this EX-L to use mainly as a commuter car for me. We've had it about 2 months now, and I've already got just over 3K miles on it. Gas mileage has been great, it's comfortable, and wind noise is minimal. I know it's considered a "compact" car, but it feels anything but compact. In fact, it feels about the same size as our '90 Accord! Overall, we're very pleased with our purchase.

Gas mileage, reliability, Honda reputation.

Would love to see automatic climate control and power seats (at least driver's side) in the EX-L, but that's a minor quibble.