Used 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Don't buy a hybrid, get this car!
By brock69

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Driving from Cincinnati, OH to Gatlinburg, TN this past weekend we averaged 41 MPG while having the sunroof open fully and all the windows open about 2 inches. From there we continued through the App. Mountains to Greenville, SC and averaged 43 MPG with the AC running and we were not doing anything crazy like turning off the motor. I remember the sticker saying this car was rated at 39. We averaged about 73 MPH the whole way in mild to medium traffic. We bought this car with 9000 miles on it for $17,000 and have added 16,000 miles in 6 Months. No expensive or dangerous batteries to mess with and we can turn the ECON button off whenever we want to get more juice.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage Interior space Features and connectivity

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the double dash readout. The only real issue my wife and I have is that the double dash is hard to see due to it's position. She is 5'1" and the steering wheel blocks her view. I am 5'11" and the separation of the dashes puts a reflection on the windshield almost directly in front of my eyes day and night.

Confortable Ride but dull engine
By marc_bar

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've been looking at a compact sedan to replace my Mazda 3 hatchback. My list is down to Hyundai Elantra and Honda Civic Sedan EX. I test drove a Civic today and the engine is very dull, no fun at all particularly for someone used to the peppy Mazda3 160 hp.

Favorite Features

Confortable ride and iMID

Suggested Improvements

Better engine, 6-speed automatic with manual switch, auto dimming mirror with homelink

Good Car With Some Notable Exceptions
By terrainorg

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've driven Hondas for a long time now, so had high expectations with my Civic EX sedan. Unfortunately, I find the new Civic pretty underwhelming, based primarily on two factors: 1) Road noise, caused by a cardboard-thin floorboard. It's not wind noise but rather noise coming up from underneath; loudest sedan I've ever driven in that respect. 2) I'm 6'5", and had no problem with comfort on the test drive. But after several weeks I still cannot find a comfort zone with the seat (headroom is fine). That could easily be solved by an electronic seat, which the Civic EX (like the Accord) should offer. There are lots of things I really like, but if I had to do it all over, I'd get another car.

Favorite Features

MID (multi-information display) is awesome, as is the overall dash layout. Ergonomically, the Civic is great; stereo, AC/heat, and steering wheel controls are well-placed and intuitive. I like the curve of the dash toward the driver. Though Edmunds.com and other reviews lament the electronic-assist steering, I think it feels pretty good and even helps with the "fun" factor. I like the Econ button feature, and the visual elements of the digital dash (related to MPG and otherwise). The dual-level dash works really well for me. Visibility is great, and in non-Eco mode the car is reasonably peppy, at least with no more than two people in the car. With four it really bogs down. Love the exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the road noise issue; it is significant. An electronic seat should be standard on the EX. These two issues are deal-breakers for me now having had the car for a while. I'd prefer a darker interior (I have stone, with taffeta white exterior), as the light materials easily get dirty. Like others, I'd prefer a six-speed AT with a bit more pep, but I'm willing to trade that for the excellent gas mileage (I'm averaging 32 MPG in mostly city driving). Interior materials do feel a bit cheap -- all that hard plastic, even if it is rice papery in design, which is kind of nifty. Center armrest should slide forward, and rear center armrest should be a bit higher. Add sunglass holder up top.

A five star vehicle
By jay2012

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have a new Honda Civic EX for about two months now and its been a great car. Very happy with the way its drive and no blind spots , very easy to see out all around the car while driving it. Its very comfortable to drive and great seats. Its really good on gas and I have been getting 31 to 33 mpg in the city and its all mostly city driving with some stops. Can't wait to see what its gets on the highway. I got a silver one and I really like the color silver because its does'nt show very much dirt and its a nice color. Overall its a very nice car that why I rate it five star.

Favorite Features

Great cup holders and little space to hide things. Comfortable seats and roomy inside with enough space and I am 6,2 and my head does not touch the roof inside. I pick the EX because of better upgrades and sunroof. The EX looks better on the outside because of alloy wheels and better looking front bumper. Great gas mileage and its better than the window stickers says. Nice dashboard and its much nicer overall than the 2011 models.

Suggested Improvements

I wish its has 155 horsepower instead of 140 horsepower but hey 140 is not bad for a 2650 pound car. Also wish its has a six speed auto transmission because its will make the car a little faster and also improve mpg. Can't figure why honda is still using the same old five speed auto transmission for many years. Or even CVT transmission will be better because its will improve mpg. Well its not bad at all like its is now because I think in a few years Honda will improve the gas mileage even more.

Fun little car
By grahamola

2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Civic back in Sept. I like howit rides, handles, and is quiet too. I would agree that there is a lot of hard plastic surfaces and blank switchplates, but they are built right.Seats are comfortable and have lots of room inside too.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, has plenty of power, smooth ride, quiet, and digital instrumentation.

Suggested Improvements

The old Civic might have looked a little more stylish.