Used 2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Somethings you won't know until you own one.
By genegenre

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing a review here because I have a 2012 and, aside from a few tech mods and bits of shiny trim, they haven't changed much since '12. I use my Civic NG for auto parts delivery. It has 190,000+ miles on it. So far the only two things to go wrong are the wheel bearings beginning at 60k. I had kept my tire psi at 44! Since having them changed at 103k, I haven't begun to feel any wear as I have deflated the tires back to about 34psi. I tried to change the front fuel filter and damaged the housing. Cost was around $600. The + side is that you really only need to change the filters about every 50k miles. Dealer charges $80 for labor for the front (I do rear). My mechanic charges $15 labor.

I can get over 50mpg on long freeway trips. I once got 63mpg on a several hundred mile round trip though Ohio. Dash readout was 61mpge but trip miles divided by gallons charged at the pump were 63ish. As amazing fwy mileage as it gets, you will only get around 35mpg in mixed 50/50 city hwy on normal length trips. I get 20mpg in slow rush hour downtown Pittsburgh traffic. I love the usb display on the dash that you can toggle through the steering wheel. The car is comfy and reasonably quiet. Oil change intervals are extended because of the cng. I do mine every 25k miles (though that's every 3-4 months!) $2/gge has stayed steady in western PA though some newer stations charge up to $2.36.

You only have functionally about 7-7.5 gallon equiv. of fuel at 3500-3700psi. I have done a ton of research talking to tank installers and the only options to mod are an extra 3gge tank that eats up the rest of the trunk total cost of install around $3000 or you could remove the tank and put a longer one at the rear of the trunk behind the wheel wells and get about 12-13gge but that would be $4k. Also I am rather cross with Honda for killing me on the filter housing. It should not have cost more than about $50 not over $600 out the door. Dealers tend not to know what to do with these cars. The place I bought from said they didn't do filter changes! I will be looking elsewhere next time!!

Clean, smooth running car!
By jstbnreal

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Natural Gas 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've been driving this natural gas car for over a year now and it has turned out to be one of the best investments ever. I have two CNG stations by my home and my tank fills up with $12 and I get anywhere from 200-240 miles per tank. The only bad thing I have notice and have taken my car back to dealer for was the sputtering when you first start the car in the morning. It did hesitate in the morning sometimes, but the dealer did some adjustments and it's all good now. Overall a great comfortable car with great steering/handling. The navigation and stereo is GREAT!! The carpool stickers in rush hour is the BEST part!!! Love this car.

Natural Gas is cheaper and cleaner. Carpool stickers a major plus. Worth every extra penny than your average gas powered civic.

Longer fuel range I would like my civic to get 300 miles per tank. The most I've gotten was 260.

Lowest cost per mile.
By genegenre

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is quiet, comfortable, lots of leg and rear seat leg room. Trunk is shallow but tall and will fit two small suit cases. Very areodynamic and does well in strong cross winds, is light weight (2848lbs. for the CNG) yet steering is a little heavy but not that bad! Few minor quirks; the radio volume isn't loud enough to hear clearly (on max) when playing classical music, miles 'til zero range indicator fluctuates and settles esp the first half tank, trunk squeaks, car sputters when you first start it and hesitates when initially pressing the gas. As well it frequently acts like it's in neutral when you come to a stop so will roll backwards slightly on a hill. No coolant temp guage!

Update. I sold this car at 230k miles (used as a courier delivery vehicle) and I only had to do basic maintenance fluids filters, tires, I did have it timed at 125k. Original brake pads with 30% life left... 230,000 miles! I bought a 2016 Civic and it's not nearly as soft a ride. Firm suspension while a thrill to drive (and the car is much better generally than the previous generation), it's killing my back and I'll be selling for something softer.

The 2012 isn't a looker, it isn't interesting or special to drive. It's just an honest, efficient well built car that needs next to nothing for hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm sad that Honda stopped making the Natural Gas version of the Civic after 2015. With a larger tank in the larger trunk for the 2016 model, I would have likely bought the cng version.

great car so far for first 5 weeks
By yarruhs

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I thoroughly enjoy this car.
The fuel economy is far better than i expected. I have gotten as high as 40 mpg , and with each gallon of natural gas costing $2.05 , this has translated into an mpg equivalent of gasoline of 80 mpg ((when gas is at $4.00 for unleaded gas).
I am waiting for the diamond lane sticker which will save me at least 10 minutes each way to and from work.
One thing to note is in California there are many natural gas stations. The lowest price stations are the actual gas companies at 2.05 per gallon.
Others will charge as high as $2.99 which is 33% more

Favorite feature is the gas savings and the fact that I am burning American gas and not some foreign imported gas. It is a green car so emmissions are very low. I never have to smell gasoline again. This car is a Honda but it was made in Indiana so it is an American car. The blue tooth phone is perfect. The cars has so many air bags that I feel comfortable knowing I am surrounded by them. It has good acceleration. Good view of the road ahead. Good handling. I have never owned a Honda before and so far I am happy with the results.

The front bumper is very low sometimes it makes me a bit uneasy when perpendicular parking and hitting the parking curve. The visibility is great but you don't see where the front of the car ends, from the drivers view. I know I will get used to this. The visibility in the right rear needs improvement as it has a little blind spot, at it feels like a hatchback. I also own a Landcruiser and I am spoiled by its panoramic views. The space for storage in the rear is very limited , but I knew that going in. So far I haven't needed the space. The natural gas tank uses a good portion of it. These are minor things that are far outweighed by the positives of the car.