Used 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Never buy hybrid
By nashdesi

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

From start to initial speed car vibrates a lot or call it shudders Bought a used car and returned in two days Gave me headache from vibration Saving that dollar from hybrid was not worth My son who is seven could not stand the vibration Will never buy a hybrid again When it switches between electric and engine I cannot bear that vibration and noise Saving some dollar for vibration is not worth it Please test drive throughly before you buy hybrid Do lot of stop and go before you buy On high way any car runs good Good luck on buying hybrid Honest review given by desi

2012 This Hybrid is Awesome!
By peter789

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased at a fantastic price. Deal hard. Hybrids are not selling as well because old reviews were bad. So I did not pay the hybrid premium that I would have to make up with gas savings. I do 70% city and 30% highway and getting between 45 and 47 mpg so far. This Civic is made in Japan and sells very well there. Hence the Japanese near 6 dollar a gallon gas. I am sure that in my state the cost of gas will be in the 4.50 to 5.00 range soon which will make this purchase so much more justified.

Favorite Features

The "S" feature no one talks about. If I need to escape out of a certain situation quickly the car drives more like a sports car. It shuts of the automatic engine off feature. The Eco help displays are great. After awhile you do everything automatically. Phone Bluetooth is great. Very comfortable cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Noise levels at highway speeds is a little loud especially on concrete roads. Black top much improved. Medium level radio helps a lot to even notice. Hay its not a Lexus. I tested the Lexus 30 thousand dollar hybrid 4-door hatchback. The room inside is terrible.

Our third Civic is the quietest!
By hardcopy

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We can't relate to the professionals claim of excessive road/wind noise. This car, up to 80MPH, is as quiet as our Cadillac CTS. Maybe Honda responded to the critiques with more sound deadening - it is quiet. We haven't gone more than 12 miles from home and we are averaging the advertised 44 MPG. Particularly impressed with the included technology. Bluetooth works great. We particularly like the near headsup display of driving data. Not nearly as quirky as a Prius. Drivability is typically Honda confident.

Favorite Features

This model has the cleanest center stack I've seen. Most controls are accessed by either touchscreen or voice activated. It has a true auto climate control and A/C can apparently keep running even when the engine is in Auto Off. I particularly like that Nav turn directions are shown in the upper display right in front of you. My wife's favorite feature is the drivers seat height adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

My wife's least favorite feature is a very aggressive head restraint position. Supposed to be safer, but is less comfortable. The professional critique of less than dramatic interior is consistent with the typical Honda conservative look. They could use a little pizzazz. The other suprise was an unpleasant aroma to the new leather interior. It fades with time, but was not what we expected from any make.

So you want a Hybrid....
By hybridman2012

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you are on your first mission to buy a hybrid, this article will help you! I started my quest to find the "gas mileage" car I needed by going to a Toyota dealer and driving the famous Prius. After being unimpressed with the style, power and certainly the price, I went back to Honda. This would be my third Honda if the 2012 Civic was the one I was looking for.Here are some facts that accually are true to help you make your decision: First - Honda has a Lithium Ion battery back weighing 20lbs. Prius has a NiCad battery weighing 200lbs. The NiCad has a memory and won't last as long as Honda's Lithium Ion with a warranty of 10yrs or 80,000 miles! Last - More power, most quiet, NICE!

Favorite Features

If you are like I was, the best feature is the MPG. I know Honda says " 44mpg city, or highway" All I can say is that with the first tank we averaged 48.6 mpg! I have 2000 miles on my Civic and average no less then 51.3 mpg!! I expect more as it breaks in. It also has more room for those of us who are 6'2'' and 250 lbls, then any previous Honda. I have ample room and it's quite comfortable to drive. Dash lights up like an aircraft and is very easy to find what you are looking for. Great stereo system and bluetooth doesn't sound like you are in a tunnel. Kudos to Honda!! It's not a Caddy, but I didn't pay for a caddy either! All around a great commute car...after all it's a Honda!

Suggested Improvements

Some dis the plastics. I find them to be totally acceptable and low on glare. I don't know any improvements that need to me made and keep the car in the price range I wanted. This is a state of the art, smooth Hybrid, that was designed to get you the best MPG on regular fuel. Even the tires are designed for lower friction and higher MPG! I totally recomend the 2012 Honda Civic to anyone that really wants a nice car and the MPG to back it up! No hype, it's the real deal! Thanks Honda....nice job and thanks for the MPG, we really needed it out here!

My First Hybrid
By harleybiker

With over 7,725 miles experience with this car, I am very pleased with it overall. Highway trip mileage for 2,200 miles was 48.3. Overall mileage with lots of city driving including many traffic lights and 6 months of Chicago winter temperatures has brought the overall average MPG down to 42.8 for over 7,700 miles. Winter driving on snow and ice was not bad with these standard tires. Overall, I am very satisfied with the vehicle and it has somewhat exceeded my expectations.

Favorite Features

Great highway only gas mileage 48.3 MPG, good handling, quick engine starts.

Suggested Improvements

Electric front seats are a requirement with the top line model package and what I paid for this vehicle. Considering the vehicle's cost, manual front seats suck! They should be electric with a drivers seat memory provision. Way too much dash board reflection in the front window! The dash should be black or another dark satin finish and not near so reflective!