Used 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Worst Vehicle I Have Ever Owned (out of 22 cars)!
By Bob Woliver

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I will try to start positive here: this car would get 42-45 MPG on a routine basis in city driving and I got a peak of 55 MPG on the highway. Unfortunately, that was the only positive point about this vehicle! Honda redesigned the Civic Hybrid in 2013 for good reason. Wind noise from poorly fitting doors, an interior door panel that would bow in about a half inch when the power window hit the top, deafening road noise which included the sound of fuel sloshing in the tank, stumbling and hesitation out of stops, a film that would appear on the windows about every 2 weeks requiring they be cleaned, oil accumulation in the air filter during heavy load situations (fully loaded, highway driving) and uneven, rapid tire wear. At 24K miles the transmission (a CVT) started slipping and I traded the car.

Honest review
By Bugs

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Hybrid car, first cvt transmission also. Bought this car for gas mpg and it has really impressed me on the mpg's. We just got back from a long vacation, 2565 miles with varies roads from Hilly, interstate, and city driving, it average 45.8.

Never buy hybrid
By nashdesi

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

From start to initial speed car vibrates a lot or call it shudders

Bought a used car and returned in two days

Gave me headache from vibration

Saving that dollar from hybrid was not worth

My son who is seven could not stand the vibration

Will never buy a hybrid again

When it switches between electric and engine

I cannot bear that vibration and noise

Saving some dollar for vibration is not worth it

Please test drive throughly before you buy hybrid

Do lot of stop and go before you buy

On high way any car runs good

Good luck on buying hybrid

Honest review given by desi

2012 This Hybrid is Awesome!
By peter789

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased at a fantastic price. Deal hard. Hybrids are not selling as well because old reviews were bad. So I did not pay the hybrid premium that I would have to make up with gas savings. I do 70% city and 30% highway and getting between 45 and 47 mpg so far. This Civic is made in Japan and sells very well there. Hence the Japanese near 6 dollar a gallon gas. I am sure that in my state the cost of gas will be in the 4.50 to 5.00 range soon which will make this purchase so much more justified.

The "S" feature no one talks about. If I need to escape out of a certain situation quickly the car drives more like a sports car. It shuts of the automatic engine off feature. The Eco help displays are great. After awhile you do everything automatically. Phone Bluetooth is great. Very comfortable cabin.

Noise levels at highway speeds is a little loud especially on concrete roads. Black top much improved. Medium level radio helps a lot to even notice. Hay its not a Lexus. I tested the Lexus 30 thousand dollar hybrid 4-door hatchback. The room inside is terrible.

Our third Civic is the quietest!
By hardcopy

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We can't relate to the professionals claim of excessive road/wind noise.
This car, up to 80MPH, is as quiet as our Cadillac CTS.
Maybe Honda responded to the critiques with more sound deadening - it is quiet.
We haven't gone more than 12 miles from home and we are averaging the advertised 44 MPG.
Particularly impressed with the included technology.
Bluetooth works great.
We particularly like the near headsup display of driving data.
Not nearly as quirky as a Prius.
Drivability is typically Honda confident.

This model has the cleanest center stack I've seen. Most controls are accessed by either touchscreen or voice activated. It has a true auto climate control and A/C can apparently keep running even when the engine is in Auto Off. I particularly like that Nav turn directions are shown in the upper display right in front of you. My wife's favorite feature is the drivers seat height adjustment.

My wife's least favorite feature is a very aggressive head restraint position. Supposed to be safer, but is less comfortable. The professional critique of less than dramatic interior is consistent with the typical Honda conservative look. They could use a little pizzazz. The other suprise was an unpleasant aroma to the new leather interior. It fades with time, but was not what we expected from any make.