Used 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2012 This Hybrid is Awesome!
By peter789

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased at a fantastic price. Deal hard. Hybrids are not selling as well because old reviews were bad. So I did not pay the hybrid premium that I would have to make up with gas savings. I do 70% city and 30% highway and getting between 45 and 47 mpg so far. This Civic is made in Japan and sells very well there. Hence the Japanese near 6 dollar a gallon gas. I am sure that in my state the cost of gas will be in the 4.50 to 5.00 range soon which will make this purchase so much more justified.

Favorite Features

The "S" feature no one talks about. If I need to escape out of a certain situation quickly the car drives more like a sports car. It shuts of the automatic engine off feature. The Eco help displays are great. After awhile you do everything automatically. Phone Bluetooth is great. Very comfortable cabin.

Suggested Improvements

Noise levels at highway speeds is a little loud especially on concrete roads. Black top much improved. Medium level radio helps a lot to even notice. Hay its not a Lexus. I tested the Lexus 30 thousand dollar hybrid 4-door hatchback. The room inside is terrible.

Our third Civic is the quietest!
By hardcopy

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We can't relate to the professionals claim of excessive road/wind noise. This car, up to 80MPH, is as quiet as our Cadillac CTS. Maybe Honda responded to the critiques with more sound deadening - it is quiet. We haven't gone more than 12 miles from home and we are averaging the advertised 44 MPG. Particularly impressed with the included technology. Bluetooth works great. We particularly like the near headsup display of driving data. Not nearly as quirky as a Prius. Drivability is typically Honda confident.

Favorite Features

This model has the cleanest center stack I've seen. Most controls are accessed by either touchscreen or voice activated. It has a true auto climate control and A/C can apparently keep running even when the engine is in Auto Off. I particularly like that Nav turn directions are shown in the upper display right in front of you. My wife's favorite feature is the drivers seat height adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

My wife's least favorite feature is a very aggressive head restraint position. Supposed to be safer, but is less comfortable. The professional critique of less than dramatic interior is consistent with the typical Honda conservative look. They could use a little pizzazz. The other suprise was an unpleasant aroma to the new leather interior. It fades with time, but was not what we expected from any make.

So you want a Hybrid....
By hybridman2012

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you are on your first mission to buy a hybrid, this article will help you! I started my quest to find the "gas mileage" car I needed by going to a Toyota dealer and driving the famous Prius. After being unimpressed with the style, power and certainly the price, I went back to Honda. This would be my third Honda if the 2012 Civic was the one I was looking for.Here are some facts that accually are true to help you make your decision: First - Honda has a Lithium Ion battery back weighing 20lbs. Prius has a NiCad battery weighing 200lbs. The NiCad has a memory and won't last as long as Honda's Lithium Ion with a warranty of 10yrs or 80,000 miles! Last - More power, most quiet, NICE!

Favorite Features

If you are like I was, the best feature is the MPG. I know Honda says " 44mpg city, or highway" All I can say is that with the first tank we averaged 48.6 mpg! I have 2000 miles on my Civic and average no less then 51.3 mpg!! I expect more as it breaks in. It also has more room for those of us who are 6'2'' and 250 lbls, then any previous Honda. I have ample room and it's quite comfortable to drive. Dash lights up like an aircraft and is very easy to find what you are looking for. Great stereo system and bluetooth doesn't sound like you are in a tunnel. Kudos to Honda!! It's not a Caddy, but I didn't pay for a caddy either! All around a great commute car...after all it's a Honda!

Suggested Improvements

Some dis the plastics. I find them to be totally acceptable and low on glare. I don't know any improvements that need to me made and keep the car in the price range I wanted. This is a state of the art, smooth Hybrid, that was designed to get you the best MPG on regular fuel. Even the tires are designed for lower friction and higher MPG! I totally recomend the 2012 Honda Civic to anyone that really wants a nice car and the MPG to back it up! No hype, it's the real deal! Thanks Honda....nice job and thanks for the MPG, we really needed it out here!

My First Hybrid
By harleybiker

With over 7,725 miles experience with this car, I am very pleased with it overall. Highway trip mileage for 2,200 miles was 48.3. Overall mileage with lots of city driving including many traffic lights and 6 months of Chicago winter temperatures has brought the overall average MPG down to 42.8 for over 7,700 miles. Winter driving on snow and ice was not bad with these standard tires. Overall, I am very satisfied with the vehicle and it has somewhat exceeded my expectations.

Favorite Features

Great highway only gas mileage 48.3 MPG, good handling, quick engine starts.

Suggested Improvements

Electric front seats are a requirement with the top line model package and what I paid for this vehicle. Considering the vehicle's cost, manual front seats suck! They should be electric with a drivers seat memory provision. Way too much dash board reflection in the front window! The dash should be black or another dark satin finish and not near so reflective!

Great MPG and great comfort... just a little pricey upfront
By pokechimp88

2012 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having also owned a 2010 Insight hybrid that is getting about 43 MPG combined and having good reliability with it, we decided to go on and purchase a 2012 HCH III w/lthr. Its a much more comfortable car with more features than the Insight. Because the car isn't broken in yet (200 on the odometer as of its writing) and frequent cold starts in Ohio, the life time MPG is only about 45 MPG, which is slightly above the EPA estimates but that has required a "feather" pedal with little HVAC. The car does have an EV only mode, which is a first for the Honda IMA system and it rocks! I can get 70 MPG on a run with it! Hopefully once the weather warms, I can break 55+ MPG and get 700 miles on a tank!

Favorite Features

The EV only mode; its the first Honda IMA hybrid to get it and every time it engages, it boosts my trip mileage by at least 15 MPG. Heated seats (comes with leather pkg.); that has allowed me to skip HVAC in sub 30 degree weather. The build quality of the interior; all the panels and gaps are tightly finished (the hybrid is made in Japan and it really shows). The i-MID system; gives you all the information you need in a user friendly system. The Bluetooth; easy to use and you can stream music through it. And finally, the mileage. Its only at 45 now but once the car breaks in and the temperature warms, I should be able to get 55 MPG+ with my driving techniques.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior panels are a little cheap but the leather package hides some of that. The price is a little steep but thankfully we were able to get $1500 off the MSRP but since the car is made in Japan, profit margins are limited on it. Other than that, I really have no complaints. Its an awesome car and shows that Honda can make its IMA system work.