Used 2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Lowest cost per mile, lowest carbon foot print outside of an EV.
By genegenre

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is quiet, comfortable, lots of leg and rear seat leg room. Trunk is shallow but tall and will fit two small suit cases. Very areodynamic and does well in strong cross winds, is light weight (2848lbs. for the CNG) yet steering is a little heavy but not that bad! Few minor quirks; the radio volume isn't loud enough to hear clearly (on max) when playing classical music, miles 'til zero range indicator fluctuates and settles esp the first half tank, trunk squeaks, car sputters when you first start it and hesitates when initially pressing the gas. As well it frequently acts like it's in neutral when you come to a stop so will roll backwards slightly on a hill. No coolant temp guage!

Favorite Features

Gear box is a little clunky; when going up a steep hill it will jerk a little as you down shift into third at 60mph. Power (110hp remember) is adequate but not at all sporty. Head rest adjusts up and down but not back. I am 6' and with it all the way up, my head is still pushed forward and down slightly. Better for some one shorter. I have to lean the seat back a ways to be comfortable with this annoyance though the telescope steering makes up the difference. I do drive ten hours a day M-F (job) and I am not even slightly sore at the end of the day so I'm really being nit picky here. You cannot compare to $2 a gallon equivilant fuel at 45mpg (75%hwy)

Suggested Improvements

For the same money you could buy a Prius but it would cost you 55% more per mile in fuel and produces a lot more carbon! While the 2013 Civics are a little nicer (so I hear), I would buy the 2012 on clearance before they dissappear! That's what I did and I'm very pleased.

great car so far for first 5 weeks
By yarruhs

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I thoroughly enjoy this car. The fuel economy is far better than i expected. I have gotten as high as 40 mpg , and with each gallon of natural gas costing $2.05 , this has translated into an mpg equivalent of gasoline of 80 mpg ((when gas is at $4.00 for unleaded gas). I am waiting for the diamond lane sticker which will save me at least 10 minutes each way to and from work. One thing to note is in California there are many natural gas stations. The lowest price stations are the actual gas companies at 2.05 per gallon. Others will charge as high as $2.99 which is 33% more

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the gas savings and the fact that I am burning American gas and not some foreign imported gas. It is a green car so emmissions are very low. I never have to smell gasoline again. This car is a Honda but it was made in Indiana so it is an American car. The blue tooth phone is perfect. The cars has so many air bags that I feel comfortable knowing I am surrounded by them. It has good acceleration. Good view of the road ahead. Good handling. I have never owned a Honda before and so far I am happy with the results.

Suggested Improvements

The front bumper is very low sometimes it makes me a bit uneasy when perpendicular parking and hitting the parking curve. The visibility is great but you don't see where the front of the car ends, from the drivers view. I know I will get used to this. The visibility in the right rear needs improvement as it has a little blind spot, at it feels like a hatchback. I also own a Landcruiser and I am spoiled by its panoramic views. The space for storage in the rear is very limited , but I knew that going in. So far I haven't needed the space. The natural gas tank uses a good portion of it. These are minor things that are far outweighed by the positives of the car.