The Honeymoon Continues...Mostly
By 90in55 on
2011 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe w/Nav (2.0L 4cyl 6M)
My initial thoughts were posted here a little over a year ago, and I have since put about 6K miles on the odometer. I thought I'd provide a more objective review, now that the giddiness has worn off somewhat. I'm still in love with this vehicle! It provides tremendous bang for the buck, has been trouble-free, and looks like a poor man's exotic from certain angles. I will break down and admit that the lack of low-end power has become apparent, and sometimes I feel like a show-off when I'm revving the engine alongside my fellow motorists. They think I'm trying to race them, while I'm just trying to keep up. Oh, but what a sound! One day soon these high-RPM engines will be no more.
Favorite Features
I continue to impressed with the exterior styling of these 8th-gen. Civics. My Si still looks fresh and futuristic, even though it came to market in 2006. The engine, transmission and chassis work harmoniously and make the car feel lighter and quicker than it is. It's not about raw speed with the Si, but more about overall athleticism in the automotive sense. The seats offer great support, and I love the small dimensions of the steering wheel. The navigation unit might be dated in its appearance, but works flawlessly. The car has less than 15K miles on it, but has been totally reliable. Maybe not a major milestone, but in comparison my 2007 VW GTI had issues right out of the box.
Suggested Improvements
Meager torque down low means more revving and shifting. Ordinarily not a bad thing, but sometimes you just want to relax. The torque issue was addressed with the introduction of the 9th-gen. Civic, but that model is a disappointment in so many ways. Paint quality is really not up to par, at least when compared with my VW. The headlights are inadequate, and I wish Honda offered xenons for the Si model. Certain cabin materials appear cheap, though everything feels fine to the touch. I'm not fond of plastic pieces of trim made to look like aluminum.