Used 2011 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

You have disappointed me Honda
By John

2011 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Let me start by saying, I love Honda.....or should I say loved Honda. My first car was a '93 Del Sol. What a blast that car was to drive. Taking your targa top off and blasting the radio, while listen to the cold air intake give your 4 banger some grumble. The love I developed for that car as I took her to 210,000 miles made me a believer in Honda. As much as that car made me love Honda is as much as this Civic has done too make me hate Honda.

Now that is a bold statement so let me explain. Honda uses the cheapest and worst paint known to man kind. After two years on the road, the front of my purchased brand new with 7 miles on it Honda looked like it had been driven in multiple sand storms in Iraq. The paint on this car chips off with the slightest of ease. If you think I am crazy read reviews on 03 to 07 Honda vehicles.... apparently Honda still hasn't figured out how to fix their paint problem....or maybe they just don't care. Further more, I have a heat shield near the manifold the vibrates. I am familiar with this happening on older vehicles where shields rust off, (hell, I drove a del sol up to 210,000. Everything rusted off that car) but a 3 year old (at the time it started) vehicle should not experience this problem.

Now to the ECM. A animal chewed the wires on my O2 sensor causing my check engine light to come on. (I own that this is not Honda's fault, but what comes after is) Easy fix it seemed, I bought a new O2 sensor at Autozone and changed it out, reset my codes, took it for a test drive, and low and behold the light came back on. Next I check all the fuses, painstakingly checking each circuit with a meter (thinking it blew a fuse). Everything checked out fine, so I now ordered the Bishko repair manual for the vehicle, so I could get a detailed view at the schematics for the O2 sensor circuit. Turns out there is no fuse for the O2 sensor, so when the animal chewed the wires insulation away, the open wires now touched. When I went to start the vehicle, unknown that the wires were chewed, it shorted the circuit frying the ECM! What should have been a simple O2 repair and fuse switch out, turned into a $150 used ECM install and a $100 reprogramming fee by the dealership. If I had the dealership do this it would have cost upwards of $600.

Now happy me, my car is working again, except that 4 months later I hear a clanking noise coming from the serpentine belt. So I assume this is the drive belt auto tensioner. I purchase a new drive belt and tensioner. Work for a few hours removing stuck on bolts in areas I can barely get a finger into. Cuss a lot, replace it all, get it back together, start the vehicle and the clanking noise is still there. Well now I have brought you up to the present day. My next move is to check the A/C compressor, which I have to imagine is the problem now that I have ruled out the auto tensioner. Why a vehicle with 59,000 miles on it requires a new A/C compressor is beyond me. For those of you who don't know, an after market auto tensioner and belt can be had for about $75, And an A/C compressor for about $300. Take this to a mechanic and your looking at $800 + repair bill. Take it to the dealership and you will have a $1000 + bill.

I bought this Honda so I wouldn't have to work on my car anymore expecting to be repair free till at least 120,000 miles. Now at 60,000 miles I feel like this car is failing apart.

This vehicle has no impressive interior features, very basic. The steel wheels are too wide for the cars weight. This gives you improved cornering in the summer, but driving in the snow, this car slips all over, even with studded snow tires.

I regret purchasing this car, as it has given me the same reliability of an ex-girlfriends Suzuki, which I was forever under the hood of......well maybe not quite that bad... but it has finally made me say, "maybe next time I try Toyota".

A piece of junk
By J. Aiello

2011 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Honda and I regretted buying both. Our troubles started immediately with the A/C. The dealer replaced the compressor TWICE (Honda replacement parts are rebuilt!!) and then replaced almost every other part of the A/C system, including the 3rd compressor. I took it to another repair shop and they found a broken expansion valve, but the system failed again a short time later. I also had issues with the rear window lifts. After the dealer tried to fix the problem numerous times I finally called Honda HQ and they replaced both rear window registers. The paint on the top was beginning to wear off!! Gas mileage dropped from 32 MPG to less than 28 for no reason. I finally traded it in with just 11,000 miles for a new 2015 KIA Soul which we love.

Great car
By jay clark

2011 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

bought it new, so far 85,000 miles not one major problem, it is a little noisy on the highway, tire noise, great in town, one of the best cars I ever owned. Dealership is OK I guess have never been there again, except to look for a new car last week
In town it is the best, for traveling it is a bit small, next car will be accord or like, more trunk room for traveling but we love the civic. I average 30 mpg in town and around 40 on the highway, only problem is the trunk lock (inside the car no longer works, can release it and open it from outside but Honda had a lock so you could not release the trunk from inside and it does not work, stuck otherwise no problems in 85,000 miles, pretty good now days!
would recommend it to anyone needs reliable transportation, not luxury for sure but very dependable and inexpensive
Update
I now have 100k on the car, except for replacing front breaks, no problems. I hate the thought of replacing this car

A Quirky but Loveable Little Car
By cbeck3

2011 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I'll start off by saying that I'm reviewing the Civic as an economy sedan, not a sports car.
First, the Civic is fun to drive. It's actually a blast to drive - more so than my old Pontiac Grand Am GT was, with its 3.4L V6.
Second, it's laughably cheap. No, I don't mean that it didn't cost a lot, because it did - I mean that a fill-up generally costs somewhere around $30. A side note about the fuel: with spirited driving, I still get around 30mpg. I'm anxious to take a long road trip in my Civic.
Third, it's quirky. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. The gas pedal is mounted in the floor, which will require a bit of a learning curve, but it isn't anything too serious. Also, the horn...

...is really ineffective. In all honesty, the only time I really use the horn is when I'm road-raging, and the people I'm road-raging at laugh at me when they hear my horn. I read in a lot of reviews that the road noise is somewhat overwhelming. I don't find this to be true, although more often than not the music in my car is too loud for me to hear any obnoxious road noise. Something I'm not particularly a fan of is the front end. It looks sleek, and I'm sure it's aerodynamic, but it's a pain to park. Point blank. I have a lot of trouble parking this car out of fear of tearing its front bumper off. The speakers are decent, but I plan to change them soon. By the way...

The radio antenna is somehow interlaced with the back glass. I guess that has something to do with the car being aerodynamic. Overall, the Civic has a solid, well-built feel. I love the gas mileage, and how spacious this car is. People tell me all the time that the car looks small and wonder how I could be comfortable in it. I'm 6'2, and I have plenty of room. This is probably one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in. The windshield is huge. Sorry about how disorganized this review is. I hope it could be at least somewhat helpful to you.

Good deal at Galpin honda
By cmed1

2011 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

purchased 2011 certfied honda, fair price, helpfull sales people. 2nd car from Galpin Honda Sons car he is very happy with car good gas mileage. car lacks power but its expected if you want good gas mileage. overall very happye with Glen salesman at Galpin Honda will recommend friends and family.

good fuel saver