Used 2011 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

You have disappointed me Honda
By John

2011 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Let me start by saying, I love Honda.....or should I say loved Honda. My first car was a '93 Del Sol. What a blast that car was to drive. Taking your targa top off and blasting the radio, while listen to the cold air intake give your 4 banger some grumble. The love I developed for that car as I took her to 210,000 miles made me a believer in Honda. As much as that car made me love Honda is as much as this Civic has done too make me hate Honda.

Now that is a bold statement so let me explain. Honda uses the cheapest and worst paint known to man kind. After two years on the road, the front of my purchased brand new with 7 miles on it Honda looked like it had been driven in multiple sand storms in Iraq. The paint on this car chips off with the slightest of ease. If you think I am crazy read reviews on 03 to 07 Honda vehicles.... apparently Honda still hasn't figured out how to fix their paint problem....or maybe they just don't care. Further more, I have a heat shield near the manifold the vibrates. I am familiar with this happening on older vehicles where shields rust off, (hell, I drove a del sol up to 210,000. Everything rusted off that car) but a 3 year old (at the time it started) vehicle should not experience this problem.

Now to the ECM. A animal chewed the wires on my O2 sensor causing my check engine light to come on. (I own that this is not Honda's fault, but what comes after is) Easy fix it seemed, I bought a new O2 sensor at Autozone and changed it out, reset my codes, took it for a test drive, and low and behold the light came back on. Next I check all the fuses, painstakingly checking each circuit with a meter (thinking it blew a fuse). Everything checked out fine, so I now ordered the Bishko repair manual for the vehicle, so I could get a detailed view at the schematics for the O2 sensor circuit. Turns out there is no fuse for the O2 sensor, so when the animal chewed the wires insulation away, the open wires now touched. When I went to start the vehicle, unknown that the wires were chewed, it shorted the circuit frying the ECM! What should have been a simple O2 repair and fuse switch out, turned into a $150 used ECM install and a $100 reprogramming fee by the dealership. If I had the dealership do this it would have cost upwards of $600.

Now happy me, my car is working again, except that 4 months later I hear a clanking noise coming from the serpentine belt. So I assume this is the drive belt auto tensioner. I purchase a new drive belt and tensioner. Work for a few hours removing stuck on bolts in areas I can barely get a finger into. Cuss a lot, replace it all, get it back together, start the vehicle and the clanking noise is still there. Well now I have brought you up to the present day. My next move is to check the A/C compressor, which I have to imagine is the problem now that I have ruled out the auto tensioner. Why a vehicle with 59,000 miles on it requires a new A/C compressor is beyond me. For those of you who don't know, an after market auto tensioner and belt can be had for about $75, And an A/C compressor for about $300. Take this to a mechanic and your looking at $800 + repair bill. Take it to the dealership and you will have a $1000 + bill.

I bought this Honda so I wouldn't have to work on my car anymore expecting to be repair free till at least 120,000 miles. Now at 60,000 miles I feel like this car is failing apart.

This vehicle has no impressive interior features, very basic. The steel wheels are too wide for the cars weight. This gives you improved cornering in the summer, but driving in the snow, this car slips all over, even with studded snow tires.

I regret purchasing this car, as it has given me the same reliability of an ex-girlfriends Suzuki, which I was forever under the hood of......well maybe not quite that bad... but it has finally made me say, "maybe next time I try Toyota".

Love my Honda
By Brittany Robinson

2011 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Being a Honda lover, due to my first vehicle being Honda, of course my second choice in a vehicle would still be a Honda Civic. I owned a 99 Honda Prelude prior and was spoiled by all the features that the vehicle was equipped with such as the power windows, moon roof, and how well the vehicle handled as well as how much fun it was to drive, so when I searched for a new car I had those ideas in mind which landed me purchasing a 2011 Honda Civic EX Coupe. The Civic coupe is a durable and safe vehicle given its size and handles well. I often times forget how easily the car accelerates, given how smooth the ride is, that often times the speedometer gets away from me. Every vehicle on the market does have pros and cons however. When purchasing the civic upon the initial test drive some pros that stood out were the size of the vehicle, the awesome gas mileage, and how well the car would hold its value over time. The negatives I found were the trunk space, the road noise, and upon later realization the seat design.
The size of the vehicle was instantly appealing to me because being an average height female I wanted something that was compact and easy to maneuver as well as park. In tight spaces the civic does wonderfully and can zoom in and out of traffic with no problems. In small, tight parking lots the civic also excels due to the vehicle being able to fit comfortably and easily into most parking spaces with no problems. When it comes to the gas mileage I wasn’t surprised because the vehicle gets 26 miles per gallon in the city areas and 34 miles per gallon on the highway. This made me extremely happy when purchasing the vehicle because I tend to do a lot of traveling around the holidays, as well as during the summer months, and not having to worry about stopping for gas as often on a trip is a huge plus in my opinion. Being that I own the automatic version of the vehicle it handles well in stop and go traffic as well as keeps up on the highway with traffic flow.
As I was searching for a vehicle and pricing out my options I wanted something that was going to hold it’s value over time in case after a few years I wanted to get rid of the vehicle and trade it in for something else. When I stumbled upon the civic, after already having prior knowledge of the resale values on Honda in general given that my family has owned numerous, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car depreciated. Currently my Civic is worth 10, 900 when it is rated as being in good or average condition according to Kelley Blue Book (Kelley). The depreciation value was an important aspect for me when purchasing a vehicle because I did not want to buy something that I wouldn’t be able to get a good price on later.
After seeing all the pros that I wanted into the vehicle I started noticing some cons as well because as we all know perfection in vehicles simply put does not exist. The first thing that stuck out to me was the trunk space. I normally do not need a lot of space when going to and from but when it comes to thinking about taking trips and needing that space it could become an issue. Once I had purchased the car and started using it for everyday things I realized that the space wasn’t ideal but it was nowhere near as small as it could be given the vehicle’s size. It is perfect for running errands but for vacations, or moving, the trunk space is terrible.
Not only is the trunk space not ideal but the vehicle I also noticed does have a bit of road noise when driving which wasn’t too noticeable upon the test drive but after owning the vehicle it is something that can be bothersome when the vehicle is silent on the inside. Once you fiddle with the radio or MP3 connections and turn the sound up, or have the A/C running the road noise tends to fade into the background. Honda definitely did not think about this attribute when producing the vehicle and in future models could use some insulation so as to where the noise lessens enough to where it is not as noticeable.
Last but not lease the seat design in the vehicle is the worst feature to me because from looks it would seem like a pretty comfortable seat for commuting in as far as seats go, but after taking my vehicle on numerous long distance, over three hours away, trips my lower back gets into quite a bit of pain and causes me having to pull over. Honda needs to work on the seat design by either adding more cushion to the seats or bringing in the lumbar support that some of the Accords have. The design is great for normal commuting back and forth to work or running errands but terrible for long distance driving.
Through my pre-purchase research I found that no one vehicle is going to be perfect but that there are numerous that have more pros than cons to them. For me that car was the 2011 Honda Civic EX coupe. The trunk space may be horrible, the seats are the worst, and the road noise may not give it a five star

A piece of junk
By J. Aiello

2011 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Honda and I regretted buying both. Our troubles started immediately with the A/C. The dealer replaced the compressor TWICE (Honda replacement parts are rebuilt!!) and then replaced almost every other part of the A/C system, including the 3rd compressor. I took it to another repair shop and they found a broken expansion valve, but the system failed again a short time later. I also had issues with the rear window lifts. After the dealer tried to fix the problem numerous times I finally called Honda HQ and they replaced both rear window registers. The paint on the top was beginning to wear off!! Gas mileage dropped from 32 MPG to less than 28 for no reason. I finally traded it in with just 11,000 miles for a new 2015 KIA Soul which we love.

Great car
By jay clark

2011 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

bought it new, so far 85,000 miles not one major problem, it is a little noisy on the highway, tire noise, great in town, one of the best cars I ever owned. Dealership is OK I guess have never been there again, except to look for a new car last week
In town it is the best, for traveling it is a bit small, next car will be accord or like, more trunk room for traveling but we love the civic. I average 30 mpg in town and around 40 on the highway, only problem is the trunk lock (inside the car no longer works, can release it and open it from outside but Honda had a lock so you could not release the trunk from inside and it does not work, stuck otherwise no problems in 85,000 miles, pretty good now days!
would recommend it to anyone needs reliable transportation, not luxury for sure but very dependable and inexpensive
Update
I now have 100k on the car, except for replacing front breaks, no problems. I hate the thought of replacing this car

Worst car I've ever owned.
By cubs_fan35

2011 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a 2011 Honda Civic Hybrid certified-used with 38,000 miles on it last October. I hate this car. I was looking for a hybrid and I very unfortunately walked into a dealership and was met by an unscrupulous salesman who really put the heat on me when he sensed my hesitation to take the car home that same night. That's my fault and I've been reminded of my mistake every day since I signed on the dotted line. The interior of this car is unrefined and uninspired, it's incredibly slow (I expected a dip in performance with a hybrid but nothing like this), and I've had nothing but problems with the car for the past few months. Within the first two months of ownership, my IMA light came o

Drives smooth, decent gas mileage

Poor reliability, high cost of ownership, cheap interior, poor cargo space (back seats don't fold down), very little storage space (small console, very small glove box).