Tire Problems??
By Mike on
2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)
For starters, you don't buy a Honda for a comfortable ride. Hondas are purchased for reliability and gas mileage - GOT IT! I have owned a Honda for 25 years and currently own 5 Civics. I purchased a 2009 Civic EX-L in 8/09. After 7000 mls, had to put 2 tires on the rear & get 4 wheel alignment. At 14500 mls had to put 2 tires on rear & get 4 wheel alignment. The car seems to be eating more tread than gas. With that said, my dealership has not charged for the problem, but has not yet offered a fix. We'll see if this becomes an issue when we reach 36000 and the warranty runs out. Also, Honda engineers, why did you place the e- brake so close to your knee? Confidant Honda will fix the issue.
Favorite Features
Steering wheel controls for cruise and radio, & heated seats.
Suggested Improvements
Put the emergency brake back where it was -- please! Fix rear tire wear issues. I usually get 60K out of a set of tires.
By sheris2
on 06/01/11 11:21 AM (PDT)

I have the LX 4-dr Sedan. It is our 4th Civic which tells you something. I rack up a lot of miles (almost all highway) and currently have approx. 53,000 mi. on this one. I just spent $730 putting on my second set of 90,000 mile tires in 2 years, and have had similar experiences with alignment, balancing, etc. I had it aligned 3 months ago and again today. I have been told there is a kit that can be installed that will help keep it in alignment - for another $350. My Honda service provider says it is only needed at the point the car cannot be brought back into alignment. The alignment shop tells me it will keep it from getting out of alignment. I'd like to know who is right? Will it save me $700 every year for tires? I also think Honda should fix the problem rather than leaving the consumer to do it with an after-market kit. Otherwise I am very happy with the car - it's sportier and more luxurious than its predecessors (and we have several). I just want the alignment problem fixed.