2009 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Not Bad for an Econobox

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Not Bad for an Econobox
By Truck Dude on

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I "traded down" from a Titan and 1 year/ 22k later, I am very pleased. I average 30 MPH in mixed driving, 36 MPG on the interstate at 80MPH with AC. The car handles VERY well. It's smooth with minimal body roll. In dry weather, it can stick to a 25mph cloverleaf at 55mph, no sweat. I don't like the sound of most 4cyls, but the R18 actually sounds pretty good. Do not expect this car (1.8 + auto) to be a rocket. It will move if you mash it past 3.5k, but at a serious fuel cost. There is minimal rolling resistance, so it is easy to glide up to and hold cruising speeds to save gas without any "hypermiling" nonsense. The interior is generally ergonomically correct, and can accommodate 4 adults.

Handling is competitive and style is second to none. It's low maintenance (5-7k between oil changes) and easy to feed. It's obvious they put some thought into the R18. The LX-S is hard to find, but the interior makes it worth it.

I've had no issues, but my wish list includes- Get rid of the drum brakes. Move the parking brake away from the driver's knees. Get an auto-trans that matches the performance efficiency of the engine, 0-60 in 9 something is not cool. The base stereo is probably worst in class.