Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Okay
By Aaron

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Car has moderate road noise; seems poorly insulated. Bluetooth calls can easily be heard outside of vehicle. The ride is pretty rough; can feel every road imperfection. Take corners at posted speed; otherwise car feels like it is slipping. The auto tranny is awful. If you don't make complete stops, the tranny will jerk into gear when you push the throttle. Downshifts are not subtle, either. Build quality is less than expected. Rear bumper fitment was off, paint scratches very easily, several plastic interior components replaced under warranty already

Bluetooth and Nav. MPG is averaging 28mpg with 40/60 city/hwy driving. Lots of storage.

auto transmission (or possibly drive by wire system) is terrible. If you are in stop and go traffic alot, I'd avoid this car. Better quality control leaving factory

Aweful Fuel Economy- 25 MPG average
By rich6139

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased Honda Civic LX sedan in September 2009. EPA mileage estimates were 25-36 MPG. I have had Honda Civics for the past 14 years and have averaged 36 MPG. This car has had awful fuel economy. My main reason for purchasing a Civic was for fuel economy. Contacted dealership- "nothing they can do"; contacted Honda USA case manager- "can't make any promises they can do anything about it". 22-25 MPG is what I am getting with this car, not the average of 36 MPG on my previous Civics. If it cannot be corrected, I will have to get rid of the car.

better MPG and better service for cars getting awful MPG.

Settled for better
By Truck 2 car

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a Civic after reviewing every other car in its class. I used my NRA discount and saved another $1700.00. I was thinking I was settling when in reality I traded up. This car is solid, reliable, gets great mileage with my lead foot, is fun to drive, and comfortable on long trips. The USB port works with ipod, flash drives and external USB hard drives. The center console holds my work gear easily. The remote is handy and the open roof is great here in the south, as it lets out the heat. I just wish I could open it with the remote. I would love more power, and could have gone with the Si, but insurance costs are much higher. My EX only raised my rates a few dollars.

I like the USB stereo input, the dashboard, and the moon roof. I like the pass through seats for my bikes and gear. The 6 airbags give you a sense of safety. I feel safe and comfortable driving this car.

Raise the console 2 inches. Put the 2.0 motor from the Si in it, and add blue tooth.

Impressive for a small car
By Roger

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Honda preceded by an '06 Accord and '07 Ridgeline. The Civic is impressive for an economy car and is inexpensive enough that I don't feel guilty about it being my daily driver. When I feel to drive a big, quiet, comfortable vehicle with a V8 I'll just take my '09 Silverado out for a spin.

Two-tier instrument cluster with digital speedometer; smooth, quiet engine (for a 4-cylinder).

VSA SHOULD BE STANDARD! Radio doesn't sound all that great - even for a base- level factory unit. Driver's A-pillar and where the radio trim and dash meet don't fit right - not very Honda-like.

Great Little Car
By Frank

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this as an efficient second vehicle and find myself using it every time I go out the door. Easy to handle, plenty of zip, quick to park and not one issue in 10,000 miles. Plenty of room for my 6'3" 250 body.

Handling and parking.

Auto light shutoff. Needs XM radio. Parking brake needs relocation.