2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Horrible fuel economy
By rich6139 on 02/21/10 06:38 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 previous Honda Civics in the past 14 years. Got a 2009 Civic recently, and it is getting horrible fuel economy. This one is only getting average of 24 MPG, whereas my previous Civics got 36 MPG. American Honda says there is nothing wrong with the car, so now I am stuck with a gas guzzzler car. NO MORE HONDAS FOR ME EVER AGAIN !!!!!

Disgusted with Honda
By TPTV on 02/10/10 21:12 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I will never buy another Honda. Honda ought to be embarrassed to have their name on this car. Although I just bought the car last year, I have had it at the dealership to have numerous flaws repaired or replaced under the warranty: (1)windshield replaced due to distortions; (2) door handles and side mirrors replaced due to the lack of quality paint job; (3) front and rear bumpers painted due to lack of quality paint job; (4) the regulators in the front doors had to be replaced when the windows stopped going down all the way; and (5) the moldings that cover-up the front side airbags show gaps when it should be flush mounted.

Best car I have ever owned
By azaggie on 01/27/10 20:47 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 09 Civic hybrid for 8 months and absolutely love it. I get significantly better fuel economy than the epa estimates, averaging around 53 mpg, though I drive conservatively and make a game out of trying to get the best fuel economy I can. The car's sweet spot for fuel economy is 35-50 mph (around 60-65 mpg), and driving around 70 - 75 you'll see your fuel economy drop to the low 40's (one drawback). The hybrid assist-regen system works well on small to moderate hills but doesn't sustain on large hills, leaving you with a small engine that has to work hard to get up long inclines. Another potential drawback is the back seat doesn't fold down, but it only an occasional problem.

Good, Not Great Car
By Bryson on 01/20/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2009 LX-S for 6 months now and I am pretty happy with it. It is excellent on gas I average about 33 MPG overall, I love the styling (both inside and out), it is smooth, reliable and has plenty of room for most anyone (I am 6'3" and I fit with ease) even the back has better space than most all the other cars I test drove. I am still kicking myself for not dishing out the extra cash for the Si (the car is fun but i can just imagine what those extra 57 horses could do).

Great Car
By Jay on 01/16/10 12:48 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my S2000 for this car. I know its slower but can't tell from driving it. This car feels faster than it is. Its as much fun to drive as the S2000 was. I considered other cars but owned many Hondas in the past and haven't been disappointed by my decision to take this over WRX and MS3. I commute 82 miles round trip each day and enjoy every minute of it.

Tire Problems??
By Mike on 01/16/10 10:52 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

For starters, you don't buy a Honda for a comfortable ride. Hondas are purchased for reliability and gas mileage - GOT IT! I have owned a Honda for 25 years and currently own 5 Civics. I purchased a 2009 Civic EX-L in 8/09. After 7000 mls, had to put 2 tires on the rear & get 4 wheel alignment. At 14500 mls had to put 2 tires on rear & get 4 wheel alignment. The car seems to be eating more tread than gas. With that said, my dealership has not charged for the problem, but has not yet offered a fix. We'll see if this becomes an issue when we reach 36000 and the warranty runs out. Also, Honda engineers, why did you place the e- brake so close to your knee? Confidant Honda will fix the issue.

Spend the extra money
By driverdan on 01/10/10 17:00 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2009 EX loaded with leather and Nav. Spending the extra money on this package is worth it! Your not just getting a navigation system but Wireless blue tooth for hands free driving, CD, various ways to listen to music either by using the XM radio, USB port to plug in to a memory stick or using whatever MP3 device you have? And yes it also has hand free navigation. Just tell it where you want to go and it will plot the course. Bottom line if you’re a techno junky you will love this system. Mileage is around 30-32 MPG combined. Good pickup and go on the freeway and car is quite at freeway speed. You should be able to buy this cad loaded for under $22,000.00!!

Okay
By Aaron on 01/08/10 11:31 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Car has moderate road noise; seems poorly insulated. Bluetooth calls can easily be heard outside of vehicle. The ride is pretty rough; can feel every road imperfection. Take corners at posted speed; otherwise car feels like it is slipping. The auto tranny is awful. If you don't make complete stops, the tranny will jerk into gear when you push the throttle. Downshifts are not subtle, either. Build quality is less than expected. Rear bumper fitment was off, paint scratches very easily, several plastic interior components replaced under warranty already

Aweful Fuel Economy- 25 MPG average
By rich6139 on 01/06/10 07:40 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased Honda Civic LX sedan in September 2009. EPA mileage estimates were 25-36 MPG. I have had Honda Civics for the past 14 years and have averaged 36 MPG. This car has had awful fuel economy. My main reason for purchasing a Civic was for fuel economy. Contacted dealership- "nothing they can do"; contacted Honda USA case manager- "can't make any promises they can do anything about it". 22-25 MPG is what I am getting with this car, not the average of 36 MPG on my previous Civics. If it cannot be corrected, I will have to get rid of the car.

Settled for better
By Truck 2 car on 12/29/09 10:46 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a Civic after reviewing every other car in its class. I used my NRA discount and saved another $1700.00. I was thinking I was settling when in reality I traded up. This car is solid, reliable, gets great mileage with my lead foot, is fun to drive, and comfortable on long trips. The USB port works with ipod, flash drives and external USB hard drives. The center console holds my work gear easily. The remote is handy and the open roof is great here in the south, as it lets out the heat. I just wish I could open it with the remote. I would love more power, and could have gone with the Si, but insurance costs are much higher. My EX only raised my rates a few dollars.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in VA is:

$122 per month*