Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Not For Me
By VA Man

2009 Honda Civic Sedan DX-VP 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Mileage is excellent (37 combined) and the engine and transmission are smooth and will last. But the interior design is so poor that I got rid of the car already. Shifter is so far forward that you have to continually reach for it. Between the seats needs an arm rest. Seat belts bind.

Great gas mileage

redesign the shifter.

Horrible fuel economy
By rich6139

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 previous Honda Civics in the past 14 years. Got a 2009 Civic recently, and it is getting horrible fuel economy. This one is only getting average of 24 MPG, whereas my previous Civics got 36 MPG. American Honda says there is nothing wrong with the car, so now I am stuck with a gas guzzzler car. NO MORE HONDAS FOR ME EVER AGAIN !!!!!

Disgusted with Honda
By TPTV

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I will never buy another Honda. Honda ought to be embarrassed to have their name on this car. Although I just bought the car last year, I have had it at the dealership to have numerous flaws repaired or replaced under the warranty: (1)windshield replaced due to distortions; (2) door handles and side mirrors replaced due to the lack of quality paint job; (3) front and rear bumpers painted due to lack of quality paint job; (4) the regulators in the front doors had to be replaced when the windows stopped going down all the way; and (5) the moldings that cover-up the front side airbags show gaps when it should be flush mounted.

Good, Not Great Car
By Bryson

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2009 LX-S for 6 months now and I am pretty happy with it. It is excellent on gas I average about 33 MPG overall, I love the styling (both inside and out), it is smooth, reliable and has plenty of room for most anyone (I am 6'3" and I fit with ease) even the back has better space than most all the other cars I test drove. I am still kicking myself for not dishing out the extra cash for the Si (the car is fun but i can just imagine what those extra 57 horses could do).

Design, MPG, Space, Dependability, Even handles the snowy hills better than I would have guessed.

Remote trunk opener, more options available for the LX-S, better sound system, and a tighter handling ride.

Tire Problems??
By Mike

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

For starters, you don't buy a Honda for a comfortable ride. Hondas are purchased for reliability and gas mileage - GOT IT! I have owned a Honda for 25 years and currently own 5 Civics. I purchased a 2009 Civic EX-L in 8/09. After 7000 mls, had to put 2 tires on the rear & get 4 wheel alignment. At 14500 mls had to put 2 tires on rear & get 4 wheel alignment. The car seems to be eating more tread than gas. With that said, my dealership has not charged for the problem, but has not yet offered a fix. We'll see if this becomes an issue when we reach 36000 and the warranty runs out. Also, Honda engineers, why did you place the e- brake so close to your knee? Confidant Honda will fix the issue.

Steering wheel controls for cruise and radio, & heated seats.

Put the emergency brake back where it was -- please! Fix rear tire wear issues. I usually get 60K out of a set of tires.