2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Silver 2009 Civic Si
By Civic Si on 04/08/10 18:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Overall I love my Civic Si but I want to write an objective review. My Si is comfortable, reliable and built with quality materials inside. It's fun to drive, however I've gotten used to the 197 hp and weak 139 lb ft torque; torque should be improved in the future. MPG varies depending on driver, I get between 17-21 mpg city. The paint is not the best. It will scratch quickly and rock chips cause more damage than it should. I spend too much time and $ trying to care for the paint/exterior. I'm not bothered by the two-tier dashboard. A noticeable problem with Honda's is road noise. Exterior design is getting old, needs to be overhauled IMO.

Fun to drive, but BUYER BEWARE!
By Nathan on 04/05/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is fun to drive. It has good acceleration and corners very well. Gas mileage is pretty good, averaging around 33 mpg combined city and highway driving. BUYER BEWARE THE A/C CONDENSER. A week ago, I noticed that my A/C was not cooling. Called the dealership and they said that it was possibly a rock through the condenser. I took it in, and sure enough, a big hole in the A/C condenser. Cost of repair, $576. I did a Google search and apparently this is a common event that Honda will not address as a problem, not only on civic, but also accord and odyssey. They tell you to file a claim with your insurance company for their poor design. This is not what I expected from a Honda.

Disapointing Honda
By Ellie Vali on 04/02/10 04:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Learned that if you're not careful w/tire rotation and alignment on the dot, your front tires will not last more than 8k!

Not For Me
By VA Man on 03/27/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic DX-VP 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Mileage is excellent (37 combined) and the engine and transmission are smooth and will last. But the interior design is so poor that I got rid of the car already. Shifter is so far forward that you have to continually reach for it. Between the seats needs an arm rest. Seat belts bind.

update lx coupe at
By Erik on 03/19/10 17:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

drive my civic now for 2 tanks of gas and do 42 mpg,little lesser than my old civic 2001,but thats because of the wider tires 205's instead of 185 and the 140hp against 115 and more weight of course and it's an automatic,but still a good average when compared to an expensive hybrid.Like the tide build and digital dash and drives a lot more refined than the old one.Hope to drive this for the next 300.000 miles till the electric Honda comes out and run my own solar panels and drive on zero mpg!!

4Dr Si
By Bob on 03/12/10 11:44 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/High Performance Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The most fun car to drive I ever drove & I have a quick BMW also. Fit & finish are excellent. I have 5200 miles on it and thus far no problems. I get 25 MPG combined hwy & town even when I drive it hard. Excellent value

Again a civic
By erik on 03/10/10 19:58 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After researching for months and comparing to other carsgot a used Civic 09 with 4500 miles on it 5000 less than a new lx with taxes and fees. This drives a lot better than the 2001 Civic it replaced, lesser noise, first automatic, always drove a stick. The advantage over a stick is lesser rpm on the highway. 2200 rpm with 70 miles cruising. Like the blue backlight of speedometer and armrest with more storage as in old Civic. Good firm seats, drove VW and they have that to, I like that, also in height adjustable. Drove 390 miles with one tank of gas and still a quart in it, so over 450 miles is easy for me. This car has to make a 250.000 miles as my old Civic with less maintenance as was.

Si
By giosac on 02/22/10 21:27 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just traded mi EX for this Si. I have to say that is a very impressive car. You get a sedan and a sporty car at the same time. well balanced, great fun, great sound system. If anyone asks me one thing to change, i would change: Some features in the outside more than the Si badge or the spoiler. Maybe change the tail-lights or the thunk..i don't know, i just don't like the fact that sometimes people thinks my car is an EX and i just added a spoiler and bought a set of Si rims. I just love the way it feels and looks. I made a great purchase.

Prius,BMW,Benz - jealous of Civic Hybrid
By Ronald on 02/22/10 20:59 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's a relaxing ride. We drive with confidence knowing we have great performance, fuel economy, comfort & style.

Horrible fuel economy
By rich6139 on 02/21/10 06:38 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned 2 previous Honda Civics in the past 14 years. Got a 2009 Civic recently, and it is getting horrible fuel economy. This one is only getting average of 24 MPG, whereas my previous Civics got 36 MPG. American Honda says there is nothing wrong with the car, so now I am stuck with a gas guzzzler car. NO MORE HONDAS FOR ME EVER AGAIN !!!!!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in VA is:

$122 per month*