2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Our worst (and last) Honda ever
By Disappointed in PA on 06/10/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Honda owners since 99. That all changed about 3 wks ago when my wife was driving our 2 daughters to dance recital about 10 mi from our house. 2-3 mi before arriving, my wife began hearing a terrible grinding noise from the front- end. It sounded like something was dragging. It turned out to be metal on metal front brakes. No warning sign that we were in need of brakes before that night. When she arrived the wheels were too hot to touch. Next day Honda service said we needed front brakes. Duh. They said exp brake life was 15- 20k! Our 04 Pilot weighs 2x as much and we went 50k before needing brakes. Do your research on Honda Civic brake problems. We are picking up Mazda3 today. Honda lost a customer forever.

Fun Car
By Charlie on 06/04/10 06:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

FM Tuner has poor output due to bad antenna in window, Car has trouble starting under 32 degrees, easily scratchable interior.

Hybrid Good and Bad
By JAD on 06/01/10 14:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The ONLY reason to even consider the Civic Hybrid is for the great gas mileage. You must drive it differently, pay attention and respond to what the instant mpg gauge and battery gauges tell you. Learning to anticipate lights, allow some slowing on hills, feathering the gas, avoiding the use of brakes and staying at the speed limit yield great results. No lead foot gas use, won't go fast anyhow. Winter driving conditions and sloppy driving habits destroy mpg. Large interior, but VERY noisy and not comfortable after a couple hours. Cheaped out on auto on head lights, dash layout, seat adjusters and tires. Did I say it was NOISY? First, and LAST, Honda.

Great but could be better
By automax on 05/22/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I drive about 33,000 miles per year, mostly highway. This is one of a very few cars that can do commuting and playing at the same time and do them well. For commuting, it's comfortable, reliable and economical(I average 31 MPG, 2 MPG better then EPA estimates). When you want to play, just rev the crap out of it and it rewards you, handling is solid, power is great (above 6000 RPM), and engine notes are extraordinary. All it needs is more torque, if Honda put in the Japan only "R" engine, this thing would be nirvana on wheels. If you do a lot of commuting, yet enjoy a spirited drive, this is one of the best buys out there.

Best performance car for the $$$
By Tris Speaker on 05/11/10 12:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/Nav (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Civic Si now for almost a year and can say that it is the best car for the $$$ that I've ever purchased. I've owned many sporty cars before, too. The reviews that I've read that were negative were from people that probably shouldn't have bought this car to start with. The car is made for DRIVING, not commuting to and from work. The regular Civic is what they should've bought. You get WAY more than what Mazda, VW or Subaru can offer for the $21,000 that I paid for this car even with the navi. I drive long distances for work and average 33 mpg on those highway trips and get about 25 in the city. I would definitely recommend this car to just about everyone.

Vibration at idle
By pod doc on 05/01/10 05:09 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Since i purchased my civic i have noticed vibration at idle worse with the A/C on. I have been to the 2 dealers about 10 times with this complaint and there has only been 1 update that did not rectify the problem. The vibration is apparent when the A/C compressor engages at the same time as the cooling fans kick-in.

Amazing Car
By Apistogramma on 04/30/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Amazing car, made the right choice. Price a little steep but worth the money. Wouldn't have gotten a different car if had to choose again. It was the right vehicle for me.

Not bad but not ideal
By djo on 04/26/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After 6 months the Civic is almost exactly as expected. Reliable, great mileage, solid build. There are a few things that will drive you nuts. If you are tall, the parking brake handle sticks up and you will whack your leg. It is impossible to see any part of the outside of the car from the inside so for a small car it is more difficult to park then you would expect. The rear seat is not divided so you have to fold down the whole seat - a difficult task with the release mounted in the trunk. The key has become the joke of my department at work. It is huge (gold plate it and it could be the key to the city). It also costs over $100 to duplicate. So solid car with some design issues.

Don't waste money, buy straight gas engine
By Mac8 on 04/21/10 04:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well I have had this car for one year, the only savings I can figure out is mileage, I don't drive it much because it not comfortable, visibility is poor and braking at low speeds it surges as it jumps into coast mode and gas engine shuts off. Therefore the saving is I stay home more. I leased through Honda so I am stuck with it for two more years. Driving in Florida where it's as flat as a pancake, around town, Ft Myers area I get a whooping 33 mpg. I took it to east coast and back got around 47 tops. Excuse down here is they use to much ethanol in gas. It's no better than a regular Civic , only less power, don't waste your money, no real saving.

great car
By tee on 04/12/10 00:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

It is a great little car. Drives well, fast, good gas mileage. Only thing I need to mention is a side miller came off from its frame on the right side 2 weeks after purchase but dealer fixed it with no charge. Highly recommended!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in VA is:

$122 per month*