Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love my "new" car
By sbmendoza

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Now that I've had the car for a week or so I've been able to play with the car and I'm loving it! The gage in the car that shows the mpg has made me become more aware of my driving habits. So not only am I saving gas money from switching from my gt mustang to the hybrid, but I can learn how to save even more gas everyday.

Fun, efficient, and reliable
By argimal

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had the car for over two years now. Feels alot faster than it is. I love the high revving 4. Traded an S2000 for this because of family expansion. Haven't regretted yet. Would prefer a little more power but am satisfied. I commute 82 miles round trip to work and get 28-33 mpg depending on how hard I drive it, usually 29 mpg in mixed driving. 33 mpg on long trips consistently. Great car.

8200 RPM redline, gearbox, exhaust note, USB drive.

Offer satellite radio as a stand alone option instead of coupling it with the nav. A little more power.

Not what I was hoping for out of Honda
By fuzz_nut98

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been ok but I am glad we leased it. First it is white and when I got it the door color was different then the rest of the body. Honda paid for the whole car to be repainted but wouldn't let me trade it for one without paint issues even though it only had 15 miles on it. The car is a dog (hybrid) but it does handles pretty well. The interior has good fit and finish and is laid out well. I like some of the extras the Hybrid has but I really wish I bought a standard civic. At 30,000 miles the hybrid battery failed ($3000 Battery), but it has 80.000 mile of warranty. not impressive. Dealer said they replace 2-3 a month. Gas mileage says 40-45 mpg, I get 35-36 with normal driving.

USB interface for Ipod. Decent suspension, good fit and finish, good lease price.

Paint issue was major let down. Guy from Honda said they have seen it a few times on the white hybrids which seemed like they would take care of it before selling them. Hybrid battery life is a problem. The auto stop feature quit after battery was replaced. Fuel mileage takes extremely modest driving to obtain. Still like civics but couldn't suggest the hybrid. Save your money and buy a regular civic, my cousins gets similar mileage, much faster, better looking wheels, ect.....

It's just OK.
By inmassandri

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my silver LX-S sedan in June '10 with about 8k miles and a clean Carfax for less than $15k, which I thought was a great deal. I was coming out of a very big car (Dodge Magnum) and was considering this Civic model, as well as the Mazda3 hatchback. This is my 9th Honda or Acura product and I was expecting great things. I drive a lot...and 15 months later, this car now has 50k miles. I'm not as happy with it as I thought I'd be...mostly because I should have opted for a slightly larger car (like an Accord, Fusion, or Malibu). The reliability, however, has been perfect.

I really like the styling of this car...even in a boring color (silver) I think it's far better looking than the new '12 model. I dig the all-black interior of the LX-S model...in fact, it's the only Civic model I considered. In terms of reliability, you really can't ask for more. I literally put gas in the car, then get the oil changed and tires rotated when the car tells me to (approx. every 6k miles). That's it. It's never been back to the dealership.

The road noise is OPPRESSIVE! I cross a newly constructed highway bridge on my commute to work and literally cannot traverse the bridge with the windows open because of the tire noise on whatever type of pavement was used. The 13-gallon fuel tank is too small. Though the mileage is good, I still have to fill up twice a week. In addition, the digital fuel gauge is not accurate...the fuel indicator drop off much faster when the tank is low than when it's 1/2 full or more. Though I like the interior and the black upholstery on the seats, it's difficult to find a comfortable seating position with the manual adjustments. An outside temperature gauge would be really handy, as well.

No complaints after 2 years
By bassmstr9

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I leased this car 2 years ago because it was cheap, good on gas, has good safety ratings, and Honda is the leader in reliability. I traded in a BMW 3 series because the repairs on the BMW were AWFUL - frequent and expensive. Except for the BMW acceleration and handling, I like the Honda better in every way. It has no rattles, no check engine lights, and no problems of any sort in 2 years. On long trips I get over 40mpg (non-hybrid) on regular gas at 75mph with the air conditioning blasting. It's comfortable as long as you're not 6'5" tall. I'm actually buying it before the lease is up and just keeping the car.

Mine doesn't have any super fancy "features" per say, but I like the dash with the elevated digital speedometer. It's easy to read without taking your eyes off the dash. I had a remote starter put in for the cold weather, a very good investment. The reliability is the best "feature". You just turn the key, it starts every time, and it drives well wherever you go. Nothing but oil changes and tire rotations after 26,000 miles. I'm very happy with the gas mileage.

The acceleration leaves a little to be desired, but you can't have great acceleration in a car that gets great gas mileage and is reliable. When passing at 80mph or merging onto a highway, if you floor it the engine revs and you get enough acceleration but the engine sounds like it's really giving all it has. But for most normal people, it's perfectly fine. The road noise on poor pavement (highways that haven't been paved in a while) is LOUD. A little extra sound insulation would make a big difference. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.