Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I LOVE It!!!
By Adrian

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car is great. It is my first car and I love it. It looks great and it is actually kinda strong for a 1.8 L engine. Its better than a lot of 2.0 L engines because it preforms better on gas but has as much power as a 2.0 L engine. Its fun to drive and the speedometer is soooooo unique. Everyone that rides in my car loves it. This car is perfect for anyone who doesn't want to spend so much money on gas and perfect for someone that wants a car that's worth your money, not to mention how long this car will last. I JUST LOVE IT.

Favorite Features

The speedometer is SO NICE, the interior is black and stylish but u may need to keep a lint roller with u but that's ok with me. Rear lip deck spoiler looks amazing; it's also very responsive on the road! Its great on gas - helps the environment has an i-VTEC engine! :] It's a FAST car! :]

Suggested Improvements

Speakers are a bit soft but its ok with me. Front bumper is really low to the ground. Be CAREFUL of low driveways the bottom bumper will get scratched but its ok cuz u can't see it.

I am a believer
By Danny T in OKC

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 1st new car I have ever purchased and the 1st Honda I have ever owned. I have always respected the quality that Honda cars represent -- and now I understand why it is actually so deserved. Plus, it is just damn fun to drive. Feeling like I made one of the best choices I have ever made in my adult life purchasing my Honda Civic. I love it. (It's almost sick.)

Favorite Features

The overall design & lines of the car, heated leather seats, incredible paint, blaster a/c, sheer comfort, lotsa great visibility all around, fuel efficiency, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Give us the option to turn off the 'chirp' when I turn on the alarm system. My neighbors would like that.

Staying Young at 61
By Hal M.

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/High Performance Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had several Accords, so I know how reliable Hondas are. I have had my Si for a year now, and it's the S2000 I didn't buy for reasons of practicality. I was 60 when I bought this sports car with a trunk and a (roomy) back seat. I love the styling, the performance, and most of all... the seats! These are the best seats I have ever had in any car; great back support, and with the red stitching and Si logo, they look way cool. I average about 25 miles per gallon in mixed driving (best was 28), not bad considering its hard to resist putting your foot down to experience the i-VTEC rush that kicks in at 6k rpm. I wish it was quieter, though. Engine noise is cool, but lots of road noise, too.

Favorite Features

Seats, handling, clutch action, acceleration (at higher rpms), ergonomics, styling, digital speedo. This car is a ton of fun to drive; I look forward to my two 30-minute commutes everyday. I wish it was legal (for me) to drive faster; this car loves 95 mph. Affordability.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility: passenger headrest and B- pillar combine to create a blind spot. A-pillars and mirrors do the same. Exposed welds on doors. Road noise is intrusive unless pavement is ideal. Shifter occasionally notchy going into 2nd/3rd; depress clutch firmly. Make spoiler optional. 89-octane fuel.

Great car for the money!
By kauaiboy

2009 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Had my mind set to buy a 4 door, but when I saw the 2-dr coupe, my reaction was "Wow!". I've been driving it for less than a month, and just loving it! For the price, you can't beat it. Averaging about 32mpg, probably due to mix of city & hwy driving.

Favorite Features

Love the dashboard, especially the blue, great sound system, and aerodynamics of this car. Very peppy engine! Love the sliding cover for the cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Improve road noise a little.

Clunker Trade for a Tall Person
By Bob

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We were lured into a new car thanks to the CARS programs. We looked at many small cars, and found stock shortages at most big three dealerships. I am 6'4 and this car has lots of headroom, but not quite as much leg room as desired. My right leg rests uncomfortably on the hand brake. But not enough of an issue to not go for it. Was more comfortable in the Fit, but the discounts on the civic were greater.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Fun car. High quality for a "cheap" small car. Dealers willing to discount, get two dealers to bid against each other! Got below invoice.

Suggested Improvements

Move the hand brake. Add a few more inches in legroom. Work on transmission lag when passing. (Annoying lag when aggressive pedal at 30+, seems like the transmission shifts down too slow.)