Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Bang For Your Buck!
By Rooster

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I went to the dealership to talk them out of their last S2000, however, they were still very proud of it, although it was a brand new 2008 model, and I was trying to purchase it in June 2009. I test drove many vehicles. I had previously owned an RX8 and had already wanted a NA high rev. engine. After I test drove the SI I was sold. Fun to drive, affordable, cheap insurance, great build quality. The car has a great platform to add aftermarket parts at a reasonable price. Maintenance is so much more reasonable than the RX8. Granted, the RX8 is unique and handles like a dream. The Honda is just a great value for the price!

K20Z3 engine, great gas mileage for a fun car, great seats, good stock sound system (I love the USB port!), looks sexy - esp. in black, handles like a gokart, price is in reason for us middle class folks who do not want to give away their first born or take out a house loan to finance.

I would like it to come with a bit more aggressive suspension that would also be a tad bit lower.

Awesome car!!!
By bori

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my 2009 EX for 3 months now and love it! Much more comfortable than the Corolla that I used to have. No complaints from me. There are times when I start it up it takes a couple of extra seconds to get the engine running. I've discovered if I park on the smallest hill sometimes there's a 'clunking' noise as I shift from P to R, also there are times when I shift from R to D I've noticed the engine accelerates a little as the tachometer indicates, but other than those minor things the '09 Civic is definitely an awesome car to own!!!

Love the dashboard design. One of the main reasons why I bought this car. Quite comfortable as well. Very convenient steering wheel audio and cruise control buttons.

Adding a digital compass on the rear-view mirror or on the dashboard would be a nice feature. Also, merging the fuel and temp 'squares' as a continuous line along with the appropriate colors, i.e. red for low fuel or hot engine. A 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 fuel indicator at the appropriate fuel level.

One recommendation not mentioned...
By Joe

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is pretty everything everyone says it is. It is my 5th Civic and so far, the best of them all. One thing I can attest to is the ride quality if your lower the air pressure by two pounds. It calls for 32psi, but at that level the ride is rather stiff. If you lower the air pressure down to 30psi, you will find the ride quality greatly improved without a loss in fuel economy. Since these tires do not last for much more than 30K, you will not lose any wear in dropping the pressure by 2 pounds. It will make a huge difference in the ride quality. Try it and you will see for yourself.

Speedometer, seat comfort, steering wheel adjustments.

Radio sound quality is rather hollow even though it has a 160 watt radio standard. Some better speakers would help.

Fun Ride with Good Mileage
By bryan200k

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I really like the dashboard layout. Having the digital speedometer on the second tier, I would actually consider a safety feature. It allows me to keep my eyes more on the road, by not having to look down as far to see my speed. I love the black seating in the LX-S, but as others have stated, it does attract the lint. Really love the gas mileage and the handling. It has the typical Honda suspension that you feel the road bumps and hear the road noise. It is fun to drive. Great visibility all around.

Gas mileage is better than I expected. Have never had a fill-up less then 30, and have had as good as 38.5. I love the handling. Like the dashboard layout.

Move the emergency brake handle to another location. It rubs against the side of my knee. Add a remote trunk release to the key fob. Need more sound dampening for the road noise.

Gobs of Fun To Drive
By Larry S.

2009 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Have the car for 7 months, for the price no other car company can match it for performance, styling, fun meter level. The Civic-EX isn't even close in matching the Si's performance... no auto tranny may be the reason for not getting Si for many buyers. About 6.6 seconds to 60 mph with a 4 cyl. engine (no turbo), and only 197 hp, 139 ft.lbs of torque! I'm getting about 25 mpg overall with about 60% city driving. You have to rev this car above 6k rpm to find its "sweet" spot. If you want less 4.0 sec to 60 mph, then buy a Vette for $80+K! One car magazine rates it #17 for the most fun to drive for ALL cars on the road (including BMW, Audi, etc.) that are priced 2x+ the Si's sticker.

Takes a while to get used to the digital speed meter (mph), but I love it compared to the OLD analog dial. Seats are much sportier than other Civic models. It's great exterior look attracts the attention of other drivers and pedestrians. When parked at Mall see people looking in window at interior.

The tach looks cheap compared to the rest of the car's interior and digital read-out meters. Up the horses/torque a tad to get better 0 to 60 mph time.