Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Do your homework think twice
By Terry G Watson on 02/01/09 09:05 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 2009 that has been in the shop three times under 6000 miles,once for a failure of the tire pressure sensor, twice for IMA battery failures. The car is currently experiencing the same type of behavior as before the last IMA failures. Honda states they are having battery problems. In addition, Honda customer service states the MPG is actually normal for winter driving for Missouri. Dealer failed to inform us of this when we purchased vehicle. I find this to be an unethical deceptive practice by Honda. Car is not the quality we expected from Honda.

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid
By GJD on 01/26/09 18:22 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2009 Civic Hybrid is a new, reliable auto that seats 4 comfortably, has great interior & trunk space for a compact and gets 40-50 mpg. I live in San Francisco area and avg hwy speed is 70-75. No noticeable difference in acceleration, merging or passing from the v-6 Chrysler Sebring I traded in. The only difference is no squeaks, shakes. Solid body and handling, like the interior and layout, very good sound system. Try it, you'll like it.

09 Civic GX
By Dave Fox on 01/23/09 15:35 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic GX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have been driving the car for 3 days now. I commute 150 miles each day. The first day it ate fuel, the 2nd day not so bad, and by day 3 it is improving more. The best part: I do not get robbed at the pump! I have the FuelMaker FMQ2-36 instead of the Phill unit. I waited 3 months to get that and it is nice to just back into the driveway and plug the car in for the night. FuelMaker needs to step up availability. My fuel bill for gasoline would be over $13,000 per year and this cuts it down to a more tolerable $3500 per year. Much easier on the pocket book. I am going to install another 2 gallon tank in the trunk to up the capacity to 10 total this spring.

Hard to Beat
By NCMtnBoy on 01/21/09 12:30 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have over 4K miles on my LX and am averaging 35.4 mpg after running 10 tanks of gas through it. Ran it through it's first snow the other day and it handled remarkably well. My only regret is not having opted for the LX-S version, 'cause I'd like to have the alloy wheels.

Great Mileage and Affordable
By EVM on 01/10/09 21:51 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was looking for the best high mileage sedan out there and I think I found it. A fun, responsive drive. So far averaging about 41 MPG, but most recent fill up averaged 43.7 MPG. Back seat is a bit tight but it fits my two children just fine. Very stylish -- I did not like the egg-like body of the Prius. Even with the hybrid battery, I think the luggage space is more than adequate.

Best Value For An Economy Car
By Bob Jenny on 01/07/09 08:06 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Build quality and performance for the money is tops. A fun car to drive, a driver's car. Love the 6 speed manual. Gas mileage is tops for a performance a car. Honda should include the following items: glove box light, window switch lights for passenger side and rear side windows (4-doors). Only driver's window switch is lighted. Would like fog lights on without having headlights on, would like to have switch to turn off day time driving lights. Dual exhaust would look cool.

Aimed To Please
By billyd09 on 01/05/09 02:08 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After having my 2009 Honda Civic LX-S for less than a week, I can say that I'm really happy with the purchase. The ride is smooth, so far it handles very well, the MPG are great (although I haven't filled up yet). Also, the interior is laid out very well. Everything you need and very easy to use. I'm a big fan of the black interior with the leather wrapped steering wheel in the LX-S model. I would advise anyone who buys the LX-S to buy the fog lights as an add-on, as they add a pop to the car. Also, this car looks so much better in person than in the pictures. In pictures this vehicle does not stand out, but in the road it does. Very happy with this car.

A sweet inexpensive reliable car!
By Sweet little car! on 01/03/09 14:47 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've been driving this car for over 2 months now and I just love it! The power is really good for a 4cyl and gas mileage is what I had expected, good. What I love about it is that it didn't have to break my bank to get this nice cute car where you still look good enough to go on a date with and girl doesn't call you a loser for not driving a BMW, Lexus or Mercedes. I really like the reliability of Hondas. I've had Hondas all my life but just before this I bought a Mazda Tribute (Ford affiliated) and I can tell you that Honda is a much better built cars! I will never buy anything else other than Honda for the value!

Good small economy car with a zest!
By HONDA FAN on 12/29/08 11:50 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I looked at Toyota Corolla S which is slightly cheaper than this Honda Civic LX. Honda civic provide a better grip on the road and fun to drive. I have the car for almost two months and I averaged like 30 miles per gallon on both city and highway. Very agile and preppy comparable to my Acura Integra. I love the double cluster gauge specially when you are cruising. It gives you the exact mileage. The least favorites are the following: 1) No trunk remote release for this model. 2) The plastic are easily marked. 3) 40/60 split on the rear seats. Now is the best time to buy a Honda for you can get more than 1,000 off the MRSP price of this car.

Very good car
By steve on 12/20/08 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have only had this car for about a month and overall I am happy with it. It drives really smoothly but lacks the sporty fun to drive feel. I had a Camry for my first car and happily the sound system is so much better in the civic.