Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

DX-VP VP=very primitive
By first newcar

2009 Honda Civic DX-VP 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

First new car I've ever bought. I had driven multiple cars, and did not realize this did not have keyless entry, no arm rest, not even floor mats until I was driving it home. I was furious. I brought it back. But they wanted an additional $4000 for the keyless entry and armrest. We were hoping to get the cash for clunkers, but they decided they couldn't do it because the computer system was overloaded. Then we were supposed to get 3.9% financing, but despite our exclnt credit we didn't qualify? We were at the dealership for five hours waiting for the car to be readied. During the test drive the salesman pointed out the adjustable steering wheel, but didn't mention all it lacked. Very unhappy.

Favorite Features

Better gas mileage that my Chrysler Town and Country.

Suggested Improvements

Wipers leave an annoying streak in the middle where it doesn't clean properly. Add the keyless entry, auto. remote mirrors, floormats, and an armrest!! Moonroof makes loud vibrating sound unless I open my door window a crack when moonroof open. Overpriced for lack of features!!

Nice but gas mileage better on my 1999!
By Jules

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car is nice looking, it is comfortable and the interior is a lot of bang for the buck considering the price. However, I do feel the engine is lacking a big, at only 2,500 miles I already feel a little idle rumble when I start the car and it's not nearly as good on gas as my 99 Civic EX which I also still have. That's a big disappointment to me. The brakes also seem like they are working super hard all the time and they make an awful noise when breaking on any type of hill. I don't believe they are going to last too long. Those are my only gripes, it's a nice little car.

Favorite Features

Interior is roomy and comfortable. Trunk is a nice size. Love the dash and the controls for radio, etc. are easily accessible while driving. I do like the design for 2009 as well, the previous few years were a little too spaceship like for my taste.

Suggested Improvements

Give room for two large cups to fit side by side in the cupholders. The lids of our large coffee cups get stuck on one another and you have to lift out the first cup to get out the 2nd without a spill. Brakes should be improved. Fuel economy not so great in comparison with my other 3 Hondas.

Love it!
By Ray

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 2004 Impala with 90.000 miles for the civic lx-s, with 134 miles on I had a little (or big) problem, the engine stopped responding to the accelerator, I kept on pumping the pedal and downshifting (just in case) on the way down to 1st gear and it got going again, took to the dealer and did not find any problems, I just have to learn to trust again, but, I love the sporty feel of the car as a whole, steering wheel, dash, outside, donít care for the wheel covers (will probably fit some nice alloys). Love the happy revving engine and the Goodyears are just ok, but for what the car was design for, it is fitting. Over 300 miles now, loving it.

Favorite Features

Finish, dashboard lights, hook up for aux. sound input, clutch & shifter package, plenty of room in the front (I ride solo most of the time).

Suggested Improvements

Remote trunk release, all weather floor mats would not hurt, softer tires.

Replacement for my Clunker
By bjstrahm

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Thank you, taxpayers; my old Mercury Villager is no more! Being a college student, I needed a more reliable form of transportation, and that's exactly what I got. I looked at a few competitors as well as the Accord, but the Civic fit what I needed best. The Si badging added a little something something to the personal enjoyment factor. So far, I love my Civic. It has been impeccable in both build quality, initial reliability, and ownership satisfaction. Having never driven manual before and it being a new car, I was expecting some low MPGs on the first tanks. However, in my 2500 miles of driving, my lowest tank has been 28 and my best slightly above 33. Keep this car on your short list!

Favorite Features

Numerous audio inputs. Front cupholders the best I've experienced. Front seat thigh bolsters. Two tiered dash is amazing; I don't know if I could go back to a traditional format. Surprisingly roomy trunk. Sound system good below 7/10. Sporty ride and drive. Good exhaust note balance. VSA. LSD. VTEC!!

Suggested Improvements

Feels quick, but isn't actually that fast. With a carload and luggage, I'm worried it won't even feel quick. Not sure how great a road tripper she's going to be. Better control over iPod from the stereo. Rear seat cupholders integrated into the doors. Rear HVAC vents. Driver seat back pocket.

Small Glitch, Otherwise Great
By Ray

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in my 2004 Impala for the Civic LX-S, totally different styles, but, upon coming to the dealer I said: I have only 2 requests, itís got to be silver and itís got to be manual. And guess what? They had only one that came in that morning. Loved it unconditionally until it had 134 miles on the odometer, and shut off by itself in 5th gear at 50mph, kept on downshifting trying to get going again, got going again sputtering a little and with almost 300 miles being fine so far, I just need to trust it again, but, it is a blast to drive, no complaints on the goodyears, sticky enough, clutch pedal like butter, love the steering wheel, would just love some alloy rims, but, the price was right.

Favorite Features

Dashboard design and lights. Body style and finish. Air controls and radio. Happy revving engine.

Suggested Improvements

All weather floor mats on top of carpet and remote trunk lid release would be nice.