Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

One recommendation not mentioned...
By Joe

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is pretty everything everyone says it is. It is my 5th Civic and so far, the best of them all. One thing I can attest to is the ride quality if your lower the air pressure by two pounds. It calls for 32psi, but at that level the ride is rather stiff. If you lower the air pressure down to 30psi, you will find the ride quality greatly improved without a loss in fuel economy. Since these tires do not last for much more than 30K, you will not lose any wear in dropping the pressure by 2 pounds. It will make a huge difference in the ride quality. Try it and you will see for yourself.

Speedometer, seat comfort, steering wheel adjustments.

Radio sound quality is rather hollow even though it has a 160 watt radio standard. Some better speakers would help.

Fun Ride with Good Mileage
By bryan200k

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I really like the dashboard layout. Having the digital speedometer on the second tier, I would actually consider a safety feature. It allows me to keep my eyes more on the road, by not having to look down as far to see my speed. I love the black seating in the LX-S, but as others have stated, it does attract the lint. Really love the gas mileage and the handling. It has the typical Honda suspension that you feel the road bumps and hear the road noise. It is fun to drive. Great visibility all around.

Gas mileage is better than I expected. Have never had a fill-up less then 30, and have had as good as 38.5. I love the handling. Like the dashboard layout.

Move the emergency brake handle to another location. It rubs against the side of my knee. Add a remote trunk release to the key fob. Need more sound dampening for the road noise.

Gobs of Fun To Drive
By Larry S.

2009 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Have the car for 7 months, for the price no other car company can match it for performance, styling, fun meter level. The Civic-EX isn't even close in matching the Si's performance... no auto tranny may be the reason for not getting Si for many buyers. About 6.6 seconds to 60 mph with a 4 cyl. engine (no turbo), and only 197 hp, 139 ft.lbs of torque! I'm getting about 25 mpg overall with about 60% city driving. You have to rev this car above 6k rpm to find its "sweet" spot. If you want less 4.0 sec to 60 mph, then buy a Vette for $80+K! One car magazine rates it #17 for the most fun to drive for ALL cars on the road (including BMW, Audi, etc.) that are priced 2x+ the Si's sticker.

Takes a while to get used to the digital speed meter (mph), but I love it compared to the OLD analog dial. Seats are much sportier than other Civic models. It's great exterior look attracts the attention of other drivers and pedestrians. When parked at Mall see people looking in window at interior.

The tach looks cheap compared to the rest of the car's interior and digital read-out meters. Up the horses/torque a tad to get better 0 to 60 mph time.

Fun/practical the perfect mix
By DAB

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/High Performance Tires (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my Si sedan for only a week, but I can tell you that this a special car. The suspension is both compliant and firm, brakes are excellent, steering is quick and precise, clutch and drive-train are easy and smooth in stop and go traffic or in spirited driving. Mid-RPM range power delivery is good and it keeps getting better as you pass 5000 rpm. The engine is marvelous.

Solid chassis, high revving smooth-powerful engine, great handling. Comfortable seats, good leg room in the back seat.

Front air-dam is a little too low.

Safe, solid, satisfied
By edward

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned a 2006 Honda Accord since new, and have been very pleased. Along came cash for clunkers, and I happened to have a '94 Explorer that I was ready to junk, and lo and behold, $4500 was too much to pass up for a new car. This '09 lx-s sedan is really the ticket! It's solid and responsive. The black interior is unique to other civics, and really sets it apart. Both the '06 and the '09 are white. Seems to be the best color for looking sharp and to keep clean, although I do like black. Have had the car for a couple of months, get 30 mpg average, and really like driving it. I've learned to keep my right knee away from the emergency brake handle. It bothered me at first.

Black interior, firm handling, solid construction.

Improve position of emergency brake handle.