2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews 23

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Not Impressed - can't recommend
By Kevin Kuch on 03/05/09 15:16 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I took this car for a ride on CA State Route 1 (Pacific Coast). I have to begin by saying that I am not impressed. This car has a serious blind spot problem. Too much of blocking when you do a head check. Leather seats are of bad quality. Sound system needs improvement. I am 5'9" getting in and out is very uncomfortable. Audio unit gets heated up. Inside cabin is noisy. Wondering what would remain on 65MPH head on collision. I was shocked to see the design design beneath the bumper. I would rate safety features somewhere between 3 to 4. AC units has problem. Not sure if I can recommend this car to my friends.

Go for Jetta NOT Civic
By Fremont CA on 03/05/09 14:35 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

1. Leather Seats are not good. I already see wrinkles - Bad quality leather 2. Bad pickup. 3. Mileage is not as promised. 4. Has 6 Speaker and 1 woofer but woofer is very bad (Honda or the Dealer continue to claim it's good but it's not good). Creates buuurrrr sound at volume 9. 5. Definitely need re-engineering in all aspects. 6. Buy EX-L if the on-road price is $14,000.

So Far So Good
By Jim on 02/23/09 18:21 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

So far I am pretty happy with my purchase of a Civic. Overall, it's what I expected. There are a few surprising issues. Most notably, the car has a tough time starting when its cold out (under 20 degrees). I live in the Northeast and that has been rather often this winter. The windshield washer nozzles have also been freezing up since I've had the car. It doesn't handle well in the snow but I expected that since it's so light. I do like the reliability that comes with the Civic and it does ride well. Also, the gas gauge seems to underestimate the amount of gas in the tank. I actually was driving with no bars on the gas gauge, so I rushed to fill the tank and I still had about 2 gallons left.

Reliable and fuel efficient US made auto
By Happy Camper on 02/16/09 08:24 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Just passed 15,000 miles and still pleased. We average 36 MPG. The car is comfy. Four can travel on long trips without much trouble. Five is OK for short trips. Leg room in back is very good. I like the split dash as everything is right there. The road noise can get loud sometimes, but it's mostly only noticed when the radio is off. If you want a solid fuel efficient, US made, worry free auto - you can't go wrong with a Civic.

Do your home work
By Roadie on 02/14/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've always liked the Honda Civic. It's got great looks and the mag tests say it sets the standards for other small cars to match but I'm disappointed. The road noise in the cabin is just horrible with the Civic and for me it's really a big distraction that's keeping me from enjoying this car. Too much gear whine from the drivetrain too. Road noise in the cabin is the biggest flaw with this car. I like the rest of the car, but it's not really any better than the other cars in its class and you pay more for a Honda and get less features for your money compared to say a Toyota. The Civic is a nice car, but it's a noisy car and pricey for what you get. Do you homework before you buy.

Solid little car with one nagging issue!
By graywolf781 on 02/12/09 19:55 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my LX-S sedan for a few months now, and all has gone well except for one persistent issue that has popped up since the weather has become cold. When the car has been sitting for a few hours in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the car will often not start on the first try, or the car will start and then die out. The indicator window on the battery states that the battery is fine. On a brand new car, this is unacceptable. Come on Honda don't skimp on batteries with decent cold cranking amps.

Nice looking car but very bad city MPG
By Joe on 02/12/09 18:41 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I had purchased this vehicle after my friends told me it was good on gas. Well I got a civic 2009 EX and the MPG is horrible. I am getting 23 miles per gallon on this car. My tank is half empty with only 110 miles. I wish I can take it back for a more economical one. Not to mention the price. Too high for this car. Honda, you're going cheap to improve gas efficiency on brand new cars. People you will not be happy paying over 20,000 for this MPG. I am not a rough rider either.

Still the best transmission
By jds on 02/11/09 15:16 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/Nav (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Got the dark gray color which meshes quite nicely with the Si wheels. The audio hookups are astounding - CD, XM, pc card, FM, AM, iPod, and USB key. The navigation graphics are dated (same or similar to those which debuted in 2006), but the system is integrated quite well and the information presented is all helpful. I have yet to get a single voice command to work, even after reading the manual. The engine is quite free revving and the transmission and clutch combo is sublime. It is not a particularly fast car, but the best version of a proven car with a fantastic stick.

Do your homework think twice
By Terry G Watson on 02/01/09 09:05 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 2009 that has been in the shop three times under 6000 miles,once for a failure of the tire pressure sensor, twice for IMA battery failures. The car is currently experiencing the same type of behavior as before the last IMA failures. Honda states they are having battery problems. In addition, Honda customer service states the MPG is actually normal for winter driving for Missouri. Dealer failed to inform us of this when we purchased vehicle. I find this to be an unethical deceptive practice by Honda. Car is not the quality we expected from Honda.

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid
By GJD on 01/26/09 18:22 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2009 Civic Hybrid is a new, reliable auto that seats 4 comfortably, has great interior & trunk space for a compact and gets 40-50 mpg. I live in San Francisco area and avg hwy speed is 70-75. No noticeable difference in acceleration, merging or passing from the v-6 Chrysler Sebring I traded in. The only difference is no squeaks, shakes. Solid body and handling, like the interior and layout, very good sound system. Try it, you'll like it.