Used 2009 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Mileage?
By Matt

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Not sure if the city mileage rating is for less densely packed urban areas, but I drive around Chicago all day and get about 18 mpg in the city. I haven't done much highway driving yet, but those times where I have, I'm pretty sure I'm getting over 30 mpg. My Civic only has about 700 miles on it (it's hard to rack up miles in the city), so I'm hoping once it's fully broken in the mpg will get a little better. It's still a lot better than my old '95 Explorer which got about 8 mpg in downtown Chicago.

Handling is great and it's fun to drive.

Make the front seats a little less bucketed. I have broad shoulders and I constantly feel like part of my back isn't really in the seat.

A Rattle Box!!
By goozemann

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've had no problems with the engine, but everything inside this car rattles...the dash, the door panel....and it drives you insane!! Poor, poor fit and finish. Sounds like loose change is inside the door. Took to dealer and of course they drove it on a smooth road and "couldn't reproduce". Also when steering wheel is in upper position, can't see the odometer. Automatic locking everything also drives you insane when getting groceries etc. out of the trunk and back seat...the doors keep locking (found a way to disable the rear door auto-lock, but the trunk eludes me. When you close trunk, doors automatically lock...then you have to unlock them again!

Best Bang For Your Buck!
By Rooster

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I went to the dealership to talk them out of their last S2000, however, they were still very proud of it, although it was a brand new 2008 model, and I was trying to purchase it in June 2009. I test drove many vehicles. I had previously owned an RX8 and had already wanted a NA high rev. engine. After I test drove the SI I was sold. Fun to drive, affordable, cheap insurance, great build quality. The car has a great platform to add aftermarket parts at a reasonable price. Maintenance is so much more reasonable than the RX8. Granted, the RX8 is unique and handles like a dream. The Honda is just a great value for the price!

K20Z3 engine, great gas mileage for a fun car, great seats, good stock sound system (I love the USB port!), looks sexy - esp. in black, handles like a gokart, price is in reason for us middle class folks who do not want to give away their first born or take out a house loan to finance.

I would like it to come with a bit more aggressive suspension that would also be a tad bit lower.

Awesome car!!!
By bori

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my 2009 EX for 3 months now and love it! Much more comfortable than the Corolla that I used to have. No complaints from me. There are times when I start it up it takes a couple of extra seconds to get the engine running. I've discovered if I park on the smallest hill sometimes there's a 'clunking' noise as I shift from P to R, also there are times when I shift from R to D I've noticed the engine accelerates a little as the tachometer indicates, but other than those minor things the '09 Civic is definitely an awesome car to own!!!

Love the dashboard design. One of the main reasons why I bought this car. Quite comfortable as well. Very convenient steering wheel audio and cruise control buttons.

Adding a digital compass on the rear-view mirror or on the dashboard would be a nice feature. Also, merging the fuel and temp 'squares' as a continuous line along with the appropriate colors, i.e. red for low fuel or hot engine. A 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 fuel indicator at the appropriate fuel level.

One recommendation not mentioned...
By Joe

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The car is pretty everything everyone says it is. It is my 5th Civic and so far, the best of them all. One thing I can attest to is the ride quality if your lower the air pressure by two pounds. It calls for 32psi, but at that level the ride is rather stiff. If you lower the air pressure down to 30psi, you will find the ride quality greatly improved without a loss in fuel economy. Since these tires do not last for much more than 30K, you will not lose any wear in dropping the pressure by 2 pounds. It will make a huge difference in the ride quality. Try it and you will see for yourself.

Speedometer, seat comfort, steering wheel adjustments.

Radio sound quality is rather hollow even though it has a 160 watt radio standard. Some better speakers would help.

• SUV