2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Do your home work
By Roadie on 02/14/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've always liked the Honda Civic. It's got great looks and the mag tests say it sets the standards for other small cars to match but I'm disappointed. The road noise in the cabin is just horrible with the Civic and for me it's really a big distraction that's keeping me from enjoying this car. Too much gear whine from the drivetrain too. Road noise in the cabin is the biggest flaw with this car. I like the rest of the car, but it's not really any better than the other cars in its class and you pay more for a Honda and get less features for your money compared to say a Toyota. The Civic is a nice car, but it's a noisy car and pricey for what you get. Do you homework before you buy.

Solid little car with one nagging issue!
By graywolf781 on 02/12/09 19:55 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my LX-S sedan for a few months now, and all has gone well except for one persistent issue that has popped up since the weather has become cold. When the car has been sitting for a few hours in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the car will often not start on the first try, or the car will start and then die out. The indicator window on the battery states that the battery is fine. On a brand new car, this is unacceptable. Come on Honda don't skimp on batteries with decent cold cranking amps.

Nice looking car but very bad city MPG
By Joe on 02/12/09 18:41 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I had purchased this vehicle after my friends told me it was good on gas. Well I got a civic 2009 EX and the MPG is horrible. I am getting 23 miles per gallon on this car. My tank is half empty with only 110 miles. I wish I can take it back for a more economical one. Not to mention the price. Too high for this car. Honda, you're going cheap to improve gas efficiency on brand new cars. People you will not be happy paying over 20,000 for this MPG. I am not a rough rider either.

Still the best transmission
By jds on 02/11/09 15:16 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan w/Nav (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Got the dark gray color which meshes quite nicely with the Si wheels. The audio hookups are astounding - CD, XM, pc card, FM, AM, iPod, and USB key. The navigation graphics are dated (same or similar to those which debuted in 2006), but the system is integrated quite well and the information presented is all helpful. I have yet to get a single voice command to work, even after reading the manual. The engine is quite free revving and the transmission and clutch combo is sublime. It is not a particularly fast car, but the best version of a proven car with a fantastic stick.

Do your homework think twice
By Terry G Watson on 02/01/09 09:05 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have 2009 that has been in the shop three times under 6000 miles,once for a failure of the tire pressure sensor, twice for IMA battery failures. The car is currently experiencing the same type of behavior as before the last IMA failures. Honda states they are having battery problems. In addition, Honda customer service states the MPG is actually normal for winter driving for Missouri. Dealer failed to inform us of this when we purchased vehicle. I find this to be an unethical deceptive practice by Honda. Car is not the quality we expected from Honda.

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid
By GJD on 01/26/09 18:22 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2009 Civic Hybrid is a new, reliable auto that seats 4 comfortably, has great interior & trunk space for a compact and gets 40-50 mpg. I live in San Francisco area and avg hwy speed is 70-75. No noticeable difference in acceleration, merging or passing from the v-6 Chrysler Sebring I traded in. The only difference is no squeaks, shakes. Solid body and handling, like the interior and layout, very good sound system. Try it, you'll like it.

09 Civic GX
By Dave Fox on 01/23/09 15:35 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic GX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have been driving the car for 3 days now. I commute 150 miles each day. The first day it ate fuel, the 2nd day not so bad, and by day 3 it is improving more. The best part: I do not get robbed at the pump! I have the FuelMaker FMQ2-36 instead of the Phill unit. I waited 3 months to get that and it is nice to just back into the driveway and plug the car in for the night. FuelMaker needs to step up availability. My fuel bill for gasoline would be over $13,000 per year and this cuts it down to a more tolerable $3500 per year. Much easier on the pocket book. I am going to install another 2 gallon tank in the trunk to up the capacity to 10 total this spring.

Hard to Beat
By NCMtnBoy on 01/21/09 12:30 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have over 4K miles on my LX and am averaging 35.4 mpg after running 10 tanks of gas through it. Ran it through it's first snow the other day and it handled remarkably well. My only regret is not having opted for the LX-S version, 'cause I'd like to have the alloy wheels.

Great Mileage and Affordable
By EVM on 01/10/09 21:51 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan w/Lthr, Nav (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was looking for the best high mileage sedan out there and I think I found it. A fun, responsive drive. So far averaging about 41 MPG, but most recent fill up averaged 43.7 MPG. Back seat is a bit tight but it fits my two children just fine. Very stylish -- I did not like the egg-like body of the Prius. Even with the hybrid battery, I think the luggage space is more than adequate.

Best Value For An Economy Car
By Bob Jenny on 01/07/09 08:06 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Build quality and performance for the money is tops. A fun car to drive, a driver's car. Love the 6 speed manual. Gas mileage is tops for a performance a car. Honda should include the following items: glove box light, window switch lights for passenger side and rear side windows (4-doors). Only driver's window switch is lighted. Would like fog lights on without having headlights on, would like to have switch to turn off day time driving lights. Dual exhaust would look cool.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic in VA is:

$122 per month*