Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Happy Owner
By happy

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I read so many reviews on this car. Some bad and some good. But, I would like to offer my assessment. Be real to yourself when deciding which car to buy. Mine are 1) fuel economy 2) resale value 3) reliability 4) style 5) fun to drive. Honda Civic beat out Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla-S, and Nissan Sentra. So far, I avg 35 mpg with mix hwy/city driving. I am not a heavy foot pedal, so power is good enough. It's really fun to drive. Overall, I know I had made a right choice. :=))

Favorite Features

Suspension, very responsive handling. Fuel economy, stylish and fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

None so far.

Overrated
By David

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Nav (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

It's Honda reliability and there is no disputing that. But in reality, the car is overrated. The car rides very rough and road noise is horrible. No vanity lights is an oversight on Honda's part. The car handles good but is lacking in some basic features like: vanity lights, power seats, in- dash 6 disc changer, and homelink. It has good power unless you're merging into traffic and need to get out there (you may be in trouble). When you compare the Civic, Corolla, & Mazda3, dollar for dollar and feature for feature I think Honda ends up in last place. I think they are relying too much on a legacy and have become too complacent. Would not have another one that's for sure.

Favorite Features

Speed sensitive volume, USB plug-n- play, great safety features, the cup holders are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is horrible, ride is very subpar, no vanity lights, could use more power, power seats & an in-dash changer would be nice considering the top competitors have those features.

2009 Honda EX-L
By Rob

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I have been driving this car for 4 months now and still look forward to driving it each time I get in. It handles very well, very comfortable, and high quality construction.

Favorite Features

High quality features including the leather seats. The moonroof is a great feature that I always have open. The accessories I added (Moonroof visor, trunk spoiler, mud flaps) make the car look really sharp and people always take a really good look at it as they go by.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage display, Feature to roll through ipod music folders with dial rather than pushing forward/back arrows.

Luv my Civic
By Russ

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

After driving the Chevy Cobalt, Corolla and Aveo I tried this car and there is no comparison hands down, the Civic won me over. I have had no problems at all. Very little road noise. This car is sharp inside and out and excellent on gas. Very solid and stable performance. I'm looking for reasons to drive it. This is my first non GM car and now I see why GM is slipping. Only Honda for me from now on. The A/c will freeze you out!

Favorite Features

The two tier instrument panel. The comfort of the seats and I'm over 6 foot tall. The location of controls. The radio is awesome. Excellent A/C. Solid ride. Fast steering response. The armrest. The cloth seats are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can find and I'm picky!

Excellent car for the money
By lchapp34

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I average about 30.5 mpg with a heavy foot in hwy and city driving. This car meets all my needs and I love my dealer added XM radio w/the display. This baby keeps up with the fast cars. A quiet ride and stylish- I like the fact that Honda re-added the silver strip to the back of the car like the old Civics had. I love Hondas and would re-purchase this one.

Favorite Features

Getting better than ave. mpg-quiet ride plus sleek exterior-my favorite Honda I have had.

Suggested Improvements

Even better mpg-add VSA, auto fog mirrors. Honda should add XM radio to all EX'S (Accord's and Civic's)and include at EX price level.