Used 2009 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It's An Economy Car, People!
By KDK

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We have only owned Hondas for the past 12 years because we don't want the hassle, headache and maintenance woes associated with other vehicles. Honda has not disappointed. We recently purchased the new 2009 Civic LX-S to replace our 1997 Civic as a work/commuter car. In reading other reviews, I am surprised to see complaints like "no lighted vanity mirrors," "no keyless entry for the trunk," etc. Are we missing the boat here? This is excellent for what it is, an economy car. If you want a car for under $19,000 with reliability, great fuel economy, look no further. If you want heated seats with your keyless entry, buy something else and stop complaining.

Favorite Features

The fit and finish - feels like you are sitting in the 2008 Accord! Leg room for front passenger and driver, roomy cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

None yet.

Everything You Need for the Price
By dkurtz42

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I selected the LX-S based on the options that comes standard on it as opposed to the LX and even some options not on the EX (leather-wrapped steering wheel). I wanted a spoiler, alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel and Automatic Transmission in a 4 door. The LX-S was tailor made for me. I originally was looking at a Fit based on price, but the LX-S was quoted lower than the Fit. I couldn't believe it. Several hundred below Edmunds TMV. Car feels very solid. Not very powerful, but I'm looking for fuel economy and couldn't care less about power. Backseat is large enough for my 2 car seats. Trunk is adequate. Based on price + mpg + reliability I'm looking forward to racking up the miles.

Favorite Features

The sporty, yet sophisticated body style with alloy wheels and spoiler. The interior material does collect lint, but looks and feels great. Leather-wrapped steering wheel. 2 stage dash is easy to love. Head room in the front seat more than enough for me at 6'1". Options are just right for my needs.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of the e-brake is bothersome on longer drives. Factory stereo on the LX-S is weak. Based on the price point, there really is nothing else to improve upon. Any upgrades would just mean a higher price tag. I really feel this car is a GREAT value that drives and feels larger than compact.

New Civic Believer
By Max

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I traded in my Expedition for this Civic as a means to get rid of my truck and to resell the Civic with no problem. At first I was just going to keep it until I found something else that I was interested in, but not anymore. I am more than pleased with the purchase of this car. Before it was just an in-between car, but now the more and more I drive it, I couldn't believe why it took me so long to realize this is the best car for your dollar overall. It's so fun to drive, styling is amazing, interior feels like you are in a cockpit of a jet and best of all it is so practical for almost any occasion. My suggestion to anyone thinking of buying one is too buy it and never look back!

Favorite Features

I-Pod Aux connection, driver gauges, the trunk space, the look of it, low cost to own as far as gas mileage, routine maintenance, insurance, and resell valve if you were ever thinking of selling it.

Suggested Improvements

A trunk release on the key would be nice. Also, I wish the 197HP engine was the base. Now that would give the little car a kick of power without having to own a SI-Manual. I live in a big city with lots of traffic and buying a manual car is at the bottom of my list.

Oh, YEAH!
By Dennis

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This was my first compact car, kind of felt like I was down grading, but WOW!, this car packs a whole lot of punch! I love this car! This is by far, the most fun to drive car I've driven. Great on gas mileage and it has all the bells and whistles you can ask for in a luxury car. I suggest if you're in the market for a compact car, DEFINITELY consider the Honda Civic!

Favorite Features

Leather Heated Seats, USB Port for iPod, VSA, sunroof, dual split level dash, speedometer, remote trunk release.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support. The seats are a bit too stiff for my comfort and give me back pains after a long drive. But other than that, can't suggest anything more on a car that pretty much has it all!

Love my Civic
By patricia

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Love this car! Traded in my 2006 Honda Pilot EXL. Don't miss it a bit. I love the savings in gas too. My first tank of gas, I averaged 31 mpg. The pilot got 16 mpg. For a small car, it is not cramped and the trunk is very large. The car has great pick-up and I love being able to listen to my ipod. So far, I'm very happy with my new purchase.

Favorite Features

Ipod hook-up, gas mileage, pick-up, styling, large trunk, fold down rear seat, cool blue instrument panel.

Suggested Improvements

Very low to the ground - watch out when parking where there are curbs. Interior doors seem easy to nick up. Need trunk release on key fob.