2009 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Very Nice
By Drew on 03/27/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic car overall, quite comfortable and very well executed. Just gave back leased 2005 civic and bought this one with all the items EX- L model. Surprised at how innovative this car is compared to the 05 and that's meant in the best way possible, if shopping for a new car in this price range or even a slightly higher price range, give the civic a drive, you'll enjoy it. One piece of advice is to make sure you do your research on not just the car but the dealership!

fun ride
By First Honda on 03/16/09 10:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Really fun and peppy ride. The only problem I have is with the driver's seat. I'm 5'8" and find the seat extremely uncomfortable, digging into my leg underneath and my foot falls off the pedal to the right. To be expected for a compact car I guess. I wonder whether it's just me or if others are having similar experiences with the car seat? Also, there is no visibility in the front or back. Parking not easy.

Civic - What you expect no surprises
By laxrx on 03/14/09 08:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

So far so good. This car is everything that I expected. Great gas mileage 33miles/gallon mix city/highway. Not especially sporty or exciting to drive but to get to work and around town works well. This car doesn't accelerate from a stop very well but then this is part of the gas saving component. I believe a model equipped manual transmission would improve this and be more fun to drive. But for me not practical since I drive in stop and go rush hour traffic daily. This car does have a significant amount of road noise but no more so than other cars in its size class. One other item that is an annoyance, the fabric (black) on my LX-S attracts lint and hair like a magnet. Is hard to keep clean.

Civic has grown up
By Jayhawk82 on 03/14/09 04:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the Civic LX-s because I liked the combination of features that it had for the price. The interior looked much better than the EX, with the Si seats, leather wrapped wheel. Audio is a little weak, but it can be enhanced easily with aftermarket. Only filled up once and with a combination of city and hwy, got 30 mpg. Road noise is a little more than I expected, but ok. Instrument display is great, handling is quick and acceleration is what you should expect for this class. Interesting to note that the Civic is now just about as big as the previous Accord that we had (1993), although it weighs a lot less.

Fun to drive
By timbo on 03/07/09 12:59 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I traded a 15 year-old Saturn with manual steering and only 37,000 miles so this car is a real treat. I did a lot of new car research and frankly don't understand some of the negatives expressed on Edmunds. The Honda is comfortable, the two-tier digital speedometer is no problem, the emergency brake handle is not a problem. Stereo/CD player sounds great, can't really tell about fuel economy yet, had to warm it up a lot this winter. Variably intermittent windshield wipers would be nice, but not a big issue. Took me 3 months before I had 600 miles to finally get to use the cruise control and it's fine. Some want a remote trunk opener on the key? Oh please, I mean opening a trunk is difficult?

So Far So Good
By Jim on 02/23/09 18:21 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

So far I am pretty happy with my purchase of a Civic. Overall, it's what I expected. There are a few surprising issues. Most notably, the car has a tough time starting when its cold out (under 20 degrees). I live in the Northeast and that has been rather often this winter. The windshield washer nozzles have also been freezing up since I've had the car. It doesn't handle well in the snow but I expected that since it's so light. I do like the reliability that comes with the Civic and it does ride well. Also, the gas gauge seems to underestimate the amount of gas in the tank. I actually was driving with no bars on the gas gauge, so I rushed to fill the tank and I still had about 2 gallons left.

Reliable and fuel efficient US made auto
By Happy Camper on 02/16/09 08:24 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Just passed 15,000 miles and still pleased. We average 36 MPG. The car is comfy. Four can travel on long trips without much trouble. Five is OK for short trips. Leg room in back is very good. I like the split dash as everything is right there. The road noise can get loud sometimes, but it's mostly only noticed when the radio is off. If you want a solid fuel efficient, US made, worry free auto - you can't go wrong with a Civic.

Do your home work
By Roadie on 02/14/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've always liked the Honda Civic. It's got great looks and the mag tests say it sets the standards for other small cars to match but I'm disappointed. The road noise in the cabin is just horrible with the Civic and for me it's really a big distraction that's keeping me from enjoying this car. Too much gear whine from the drivetrain too. Road noise in the cabin is the biggest flaw with this car. I like the rest of the car, but it's not really any better than the other cars in its class and you pay more for a Honda and get less features for your money compared to say a Toyota. The Civic is a nice car, but it's a noisy car and pricey for what you get. Do you homework before you buy.

Solid little car with one nagging issue!
By graywolf781 on 02/12/09 19:55 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my LX-S sedan for a few months now, and all has gone well except for one persistent issue that has popped up since the weather has become cold. When the car has been sitting for a few hours in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the car will often not start on the first try, or the car will start and then die out. The indicator window on the battery states that the battery is fine. On a brand new car, this is unacceptable. Come on Honda don't skimp on batteries with decent cold cranking amps.

Nice looking car but very bad city MPG
By Joe on 02/12/09 18:41 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I had purchased this vehicle after my friends told me it was good on gas. Well I got a civic 2009 EX and the MPG is horrible. I am getting 23 miles per gallon on this car. My tank is half empty with only 110 miles. I wish I can take it back for a more economical one. Not to mention the price. Too high for this car. Honda, you're going cheap to improve gas efficiency on brand new cars. People you will not be happy paying over 20,000 for this MPG. I am not a rough rider either.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Civic Sedan in VA is:

$124 per month*