Used 2009 Honda Civic Si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It's all about the VTEC
By engineaddict

2009 Honda Civic Si Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The Civic Si is a fun car to drive. Every time I get in the driver's seat, I smile to myself, even though I'm aware that fun doesn't mean winning over all of the other sporty cars on the road to the next signal light ('cause it is probably not going to happen). For those of you considering the Si, this is my recommendation: test drive at least 4 Civic Si's (so you know when one of these is dead). And, conduct your test drive in two phases: 1) gentle, "everyday" driving - this also allows the engine to warm up, too. 2) then, rev it out! The red line is 8000. Make it go there. If possible, turn off A/C & roll the windows down for this phase.

Favorite Features

The clutch. Overall an ease to work with. The gear shift. The gates are easily felt. The action is crisp. (Only comes in 6-speed manual) The engine. Every time I rev past 6000, I'm graced with the tones of a beautiful exhaust note. (If you are considering a Si, please research what VTEC is before test driving.) The dashboard. Often referred to as controversial, I've never found myself distracted by its layout. Like many things Honda, it doesn't look right at first, but it actually makes a lot of sense when you use it ('02-'06 CR-V parking brake). The Sound System, sub-woofer included. Fuel Economy. It gets good economy for being a sporty car (considering Premium requirement).

Suggested Improvements

Ok, now that I've praised the '09 Civic Si, I'm going to go on a brief rampage against Honda's recent choices. Honda, you had a great thing going with the K20Z3. Why did you chuck it in favor of the auditory disappointment of the K24Z7? I know that a bunch of whiners wanted more torque, but (honestly) they should have known that when they bought their Si. It's not THAT torque-less. The only truly unique (market-separating) feature of the '06-'11 Si is it's engine. Specifically, the metallic bark of the VTEC crossover. And the 8000rpm red line. The suspension is good, but not unique. If I wanted less revs and longer stroke (torque), I would have bought a K24A2 ('06 TSX or something).

Civic si sedan
By mdschuet

2009 Honda Civic Si Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I considered gti and civic si. Picked si thinking it would be more reliable. I was wrong. Many things have gone wrong and Honda will not fix unless you have deep pockets. Door handles stop working, trunk will stop working, and now 2nd gear is making noises and Honda wants 700 dollars just to open it up and diagnose. I bought this car to avoid this problem and here I am with the warrantee over, and transmission issues with 2.5 years left of payments. I'm stuck with it now, bought it for performance and excitement but now it's a point a to b car that I have to skip 2nd gear. It was fun and good until this. Get a warrantee or buy another car, I have 95,000 miles on it, and I drive good.

Favorite Features

Engine, vtec noise, interior design, seats, paint color, exhaust note, sound system, price, gauge cluster, mileage, pedals, rear seat room, exterior design, steering wheel, functionality, stability control system, handling, accelerAtion.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission quality, interior quality, overall quality of parts such as trunk, door handle mechanisms, noise harshness and vibration, wind and road noise on highway, rattles from glove box and sun visor, paint tends to chip easily, longer/more extensive warrantee, ac does not cool cabin easily secondary to big windshield, too much sun comes into cabin, disappointed with Honda service department for several issues unaddressed/abuse of car in parking lot, engine revs hang between shifts, lack of torque. Drivetrain should not have issues with less than 100,000 miles.

Everything you need and more
By boss95

2009 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This thing is a blast. Engine is powerful, don't be deceived by the numbers. It'll drive very comfortably for the everyday driver, but push the pedal the slightest bit and you're off. Handles like a foreign sports car. Engine has an awesome note to it as well. I just got this as my first car, and every single day I look forward to getting in that car, I love it. Couldn't ask for anything better. Great on gas too. We got it used with about 51k miles on it. Runs, looks and smells like new. Overall an outstanding car, and a thrill to drive. Even comes standard with premium audio system which includes subwoofer. Has enough power to rattle the rear view mirrors, with a motor that's smooth as silk

Favorite Features

Acceleration, engine note, fuel efficiency, audio system, quality

Fun, efficient, and reliable
By argimal

2009 Honda Civic Si Si 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had the car for over two years now. Feels alot faster than it is. I love the high revving 4. Traded an S2000 for this because of family expansion. Haven't regretted yet. Would prefer a little more power but am satisfied. I commute 82 miles round trip to work and get 28-33 mpg depending on how hard I drive it, usually 29 mpg in mixed driving. 33 mpg on long trips consistently. Great car.

Favorite Features

8200 RPM redline, gearbox, exhaust note, USB drive.

Suggested Improvements

Offer satellite radio as a stand alone option instead of coupling it with the nav. A little more power.

I love this car
By John

2009 Honda Civic Si Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is the most fun you are ever going to have in a small coupe -- and it's stick only so you really have to drive it -- no easy peasy automatic transmission for real drivers. 200 hp in a light weight small car means your power to weight ratio is obscene. And when you floor the throttle in mid gear it takes off like a rocket, but sticks to the road like glue in the corners. Now if they would just make a convertible.