Used 2009 Honda Civic LX-S Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good, Not Great Car
By Bryson

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2009 LX-S for 6 months now and I am pretty happy with it. It is excellent on gas I average about 33 MPG overall, I love the styling (both inside and out), it is smooth, reliable and has plenty of room for most anyone (I am 6'3" and I fit with ease) even the back has better space than most all the other cars I test drove. I am still kicking myself for not dishing out the extra cash for the Si (the car is fun but i can just imagine what those extra 57 horses could do).

Favorite Features

Design, MPG, Space, Dependability, Even handles the snowy hills better than I would have guessed.

Suggested Improvements

Remote trunk opener, more options available for the LX-S, better sound system, and a tighter handling ride.

Love it!
By Ray

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Traded my 2004 Impala with 90.000 miles for the civic lx-s, with 134 miles on I had a little (or big) problem, the engine stopped responding to the accelerator, I kept on pumping the pedal and downshifting (just in case) on the way down to 1st gear and it got going again, took to the dealer and did not find any problems, I just have to learn to trust again, but, I love the sporty feel of the car as a whole, steering wheel, dash, outside, donít care for the wheel covers (will probably fit some nice alloys). Love the happy revving engine and the Goodyears are just ok, but for what the car was design for, it is fitting. Over 300 miles now, loving it.

Favorite Features

Finish, dashboard lights, hook up for aux. sound input, clutch & shifter package, plenty of room in the front (I ride solo most of the time).

Suggested Improvements

Remote trunk release, all weather floor mats would not hurt, softer tires.

My second Civic
By Rubired

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2000 civic before this one and also an accord 2008 right now. This car is smaller than the Accord, but the quality is no less. This car is a great little 4 cylinder, very easy on gas, very quiet high quality Honda engine and nice handling. As I said on my accord review, I have own them all dodge, ford, chevy, toyota and Hyundai and where the Honda leaves the rest behind is time. After 3 or 4 years, the Honda still feels and runs like the day you purchased it. The others slowly show their age with squeaks, garage visits and part replacements. If you want a little car, easy on gas, top notch quality that will be trouble free for many years to come and hold its value - this is it.

Favorite Features

Quality, value, resale value, handling quick, comfortable, roomy I'm 6ft 240lbs, styling and safety. For people that think this is just another compact car has never own one. Very nice highway car. My first civic is the reason why I would never own another manufacturer. 200k and no problems.

Suggested Improvements

Nice sound system, but I would like to see a step up in mid level trim. Maybe 6 speakers in LX. I tried and can't think of anything else.

Some minor quirks for a fantastic car
By Mike

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Hondas just seem to get better and better. I do however have two minor comments regarding my new Civic. First, the accelerator's new throttle-by wire technology performs well, yet the feel of the accelerator is awkward to me. The pedal is hinged from the floor and I find it a little uncomfortable situating my foot at times. The other item relates to the transmission. The automatic tranny seems confused at times whether to stay in second gear or revert to first when executing slow turns or "California stops". This confusion can at times result in an abrupt shift of the gears. Other than that, not much to complain about. Hats off to Honda for building yet another great car!

Favorite Features

- Sporty driving feel - logical controls - great visibility - great driver seat position - fantastic fuel economy (31 mpg city) - obvious attention to quality

Suggested Improvements

- Re-design of the accelerator - Transmission too "busy" at times - A/C needs more cooling power - parking brake interferes with rt leg

Recent Convert
By okhondadrvr

2009 Honda Civic Sedan LX-S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My chief priority in my purchase this time was fuel economy. I was a little nervous going from my large sedan (Ford 500) to a smaller economy type car. After driving several makes and models, I decided to go with the Civic. I am not disappointed at all. I went with the LX-S because I liked the black interior and some of the extras it came with. The car handles great and the 4 cylinder has surprising power. The fuel economy is better than expected. 4 fill ups and I have been getting 30 + mpg with over 70% being city driving. The interior is very roomy even for my 6'3 frame. The car feels very solid and just a lot better quality then all the competition I looked at. New Honda convert.

Favorite Features

Love the dash displays, stylish exterior and the overall handling of the car. Can't be the mpg without spending a lot more for a hybrid

Suggested Improvements

Wish there was a trunk release on the remote and cup holders in the back. I kinda miss my outside temp gauge too but that is minor